Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

05 Accord Hybrid - IMA, Check Engine, and Battery Light On

Old 01-04-2017, 06:37 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Accord Hybrid - IMA, Check Engine, and Battery Light On

Hi all,

I received a new timing belt for my 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid (just shy of 110,000 miles) five days ago. Two years ago, at around 85-90k miles, I received a new Hybrid battery. About a month ago, AAA came and installed a new "regular" battery for my car (12V? I'm not a car guru).

When I got my timing belt replaced last week, they said I'll also need a new drive train soon, but I declined that option at the time because I didn't have enough time to get it replaced right then.

The battery (not the IMA) light came on last night. After I got gas, it took a few seconds longer than normal to start my car, and has been doing that since then. This morning, the check engine and IMA light came on. I unscrewed and re-screwed my gas cap this morning, but no bueno. My roommate also told me she noticed there was a light on in my car last night, but I went down 10 minutes later and turned it off then. Immediately after that, I got gas, and then it had trouble starting. I think the light was only on for about 30 minutes, but I'm not sure - it might have been on all day when at work - but it didn't have any problem starting when I left work.

Should I just top off my gas and see what happens? Or jump start my car and see what happens? It's not completely dead, so I'm not sure jump starting would do anything. Or is this related to the timing belt/drive train? I just dropped a lot of money on the timing belt, so I really don't want to spend a lot of money right now.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 05 Accord Hybrid - IMA, Check Engine, and Battery Light On

If the IMA light is on I'm assuming the vehicle is starting with the 12v battery and starter then, right? Does it seem slow like it's having trouble starting? Or does it crank normally?

Other than the IMA batteries themselves, the MCM is the other component that typically faults causing the IMA light (and of course MIL).

Aside from getting those codes pulled by Honda it's a little difficult to diagnose given how much has happened/is happening.

-Amp
Old 01-04-2017, 07:11 AM
Trial User

Yes, it is slow when starting (with 12V battery), seeming like it's having trouble starting. I do find that the longer I've gone not driving it, the easier it is to start.

What is the MCM and MIL? Not a car guru. How much would they be to replace?

I'm taking it to the auto shop tonight, but just want to gain a background of what could go wrong.

Does Honda provide a warranty on IMA batteries?
Old 01-04-2017, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kjlemunyon
Yes, it is slow when starting (with 12V battery), seeming like it's having trouble starting. I do find that the longer I've gone not driving it, the easier it is to start.

What is the MCM and MIL? Not a car guru. How much would they be to replace?

I'm taking it to the auto shop tonight, but just want to gain a background of what could go wrong.

Does Honda provide a warranty on IMA batteries?
MCM is the Motor Control Module. It controls the IMA charging system. The MIL is the proper name for the check engine light. Technically it's now called the Malfunction Indicator Lamp since it's more emissions related than just "engine" issues. If you just got the IMA battery purchased and installed at Honda then yes, go back and have them pull the codes.

-Amp