Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

'04 LX radio crapped out, will EX work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 '04 LX radio crapped out, will EX work?

Hi,
My bro-in-law has an '04 A-cord LX. His OEM radio crapped out and I refuse to put anything after-market into it. My question is: Will a radio out of a '04/'05/'06 EX work in it?

Currently the car has a single-CD, single climate control, no aux, no XM unit. What could I put into it? Would anything w/ single climate control work? What are my choices here?

The 2005's have build-in XM, is something more needed than just connecting an antenna in order to get a XM reception?

TIA
-Kamil
Old 07-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: '04 LX radio crapped out, will EX work?

what drives you to insist on an oem radio thats not for your own car? aftermarket units work just fine(most of the time better) and are not as expensive as oem.

the climate control is separate from the radio.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rnepmc077
what drives you to insist on an oem radio thats not for your own car? aftermarket units work just fine(most of the time better) and are not as expensive as oem.

the climate control is separate from the radio.
I did go w/ an after-market unit, but... After market radios have tiny buttons and are not intuituve to use by people such as my bro-in-law. In his '04 Accord the HVAC and radio controls are in one panel. In order to install an after-market radio I bought an adapter which controls HVAC and has a slot for the DIN radio... and that dash kit, in addition to costing $100+ is a complete POS. The unit cannot be programmed and I need to exchnage it for a new one and reinstall everything... and it will probably crap out again in a year or so.

I just one a simple factory radio like the car came with, but XM would be nice.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is what I had to buy and it sucks!
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1209978...w&rvm=ShowAllt
Old 07-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if your want a factory radio with xm you may end up having to go to the dealer to order and install. which can be costly. last i looked at a radio for my car the units were around 600. xm radio has its own antenna. and it would be hard to find a used radio complete and perfect. you wont know their condition till the install. ive bought a factory radio and the in dash 6 cd changer did not work.

i think your best off just shopping around to find the best aftermarket unit for what your looking for.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know where to get a used radio out of a wrecked car that's guaranteed to work, I just want to an option for moving from basic LX radio to a later, or more upscale, 6-CD changer or XM unit. That is all, thanks.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:16 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What do you mean the radio "crapped out"? Did all of the lights go out while the radio continued to play? If so, the car may qualify for a free replacement from Honda. There was a service bulletin out on all '03 and some '04 Accords for that particular problem.

They make a dash kit for those cars that adds a DIN slot in place of the original radio and replaces the climate controls, but it is of crap quality. IMHO, the best option with regard to a clean appearance is to get the OE Honda kit that allows a DIN device (originally intended for a cassette player) to be installed in place of the flip-up storage pocket in front of the shifter on the console. Just leave the original radio in the dash.

There are more parts to the XM system than just the antenna - IIRC you need to buy a receiver unit in addition to the head unit.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Targa250R
What do you mean the radio "crapped out"? Did all of the lights go out while the radio continued to play? If so, the car may qualify for a free replacement from Honda. There was a service bulletin out on all '03 and some '04 Accords for that particular problem.
Wow, really, do you have the bulletin number by chance?

The display is is bad, and the radio plays intermittantly, but the illumination still works... but it's close enough!!

Awesome news, thanks, googleing now, but bulletin number would be nice!
Old 07-13-2009, 01:00 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The TSB number is 04-027.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/at...achmentid=2517
Old 09-01-2009, 03:27 PM

My radio crapped out this weekend, my wedding weekend, and now I need to get it fixed ASAP. Think any dealer will goodwill replace it because it's out of warranty? I just bought the car used a few months ago, thanks for any help.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, they'll replace it because it's not a warranty issue. Too many Accords had this issue. Enough to warrant a TSB and change them out.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:51 PM
New User

hi just wondering did you call a honda dealer? I have an 03 accord LX out of warrenty and i am at 125K. I called honda cust serv 800# and they basically told me that my car was not part of the service bulletin and even if i was i was over on miliage.. so i am SOL! Any suggestions.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I ended up with an aftermarket radio and dash install kit, all from Crutchfield. It was kinda of a pain to install, but anyone should be able to do it.

Here is my write up on it:
http://www.carguydad.com/project-hon...o-replacement/
Old 07-30-2010, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ANyone with a Honda radio, cd player, 6 disc , DVD player that has failed can remove the unit and have it repaired by the dealer. The parts department will send the unit to have it repaired. The cost is from 180-280 for the repair but it is warranted. The display problem only pertains to just that---the display and only applied to some 03-04 Accords. The rest of the Radio functions are not covered. All the aftermarket kits are kind of lame. I agree with Targa about the OEM accesory under radio mounting for single DIN Cassette player. ANd NO you can NOT just go swapping Radios from year to year. I would suggest to anyone swapping radios in an 03-07 to only buy a faceplate/ radio combo that has matching numbers on the face plate ie 1BXO, the four letter/#s are on the bottom right of the faceplate if I remember right. If you do not you can run into problems. I am totally against visible aftermarket Radios in vehicles because some punk will smash your glass, tear up your dash and panels, and maybe even some wiring for a 100 dollar CD player. Also I think many aftermarket radios look tacky.