Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

'04 Accord: Radio doesn't have power, and looking for a compatible OEM replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 07:44 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 '04 Accord: Radio doesn't have power, and looking for a compatible OEM replacement

Hi, this is my first post and I'm looking for some help on replacing the radio head unit for my '04 Accord EX-L V6 3.0 6-speed MT Coupe with dual climate control no-navi. I've been calling auto salvage yards and the model is not too abundant. I got the car from the 2nd owner in Late August and didn't think the corroded battery terminal would be an issue as soon as it was. In between the time I first test drove the car, and I was going to pick it up to buy, the radio backlight went out and music could still play. It's a common issue for the car and doesn't take too much technical work to remedy. However, the car's battery would drain because the climate control lights would stay on when the fuse for the unit was plugged in and later advanced the issue into the radio not working at all and no sound would play.

Fast forward a few months, I do the common fix of going into the internals of the radio and soldering over the faulty fuse/resistor part. Plug everything back in, and it still didn't work. I was worrying that since the issue advanced, it became a new issue entirely, and led me to look for auto salvage yards to look for cheap replacements (Despite that it might happen again). I'd prefer to try look for something OEM in a similar model rather than get an aftermarket unit that might have other issues and require retrofitting (Stock radio is a weird shape and people usually sacrifice the storage compartment under the climate control).

When I called some yards, they were very specific on what type of car I had down to asking if it was Manual transmission and a 5-speed. I didn't think it'd matter so much as long as the car was the same trim level. So, my question is how would I be able to know which head units would be compatible with my car, I'd be going to a self-serve lot and I wouldn't know who else would be the say-all experts in this be. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 04-18-2019, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: '04 Accord: Radio doesn't have power, and looking for a compatible OEM replacemen

Factory audio and navs units are pretty crappy, and overpriced. Once your factory unit goes out,this is the perfect excuse to upgrade to an aftermarket unit.

Your best bet is to visit a reputable mobile stereo shop(meaning not your cousins friend who installs stereos) and looking at your options there. Modern options with features like blue tooth,usb, aux ports and the like are a far better solution.