Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-crosstour-2003-2012-118/)
-   -   03 honda accord hesitation issue (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-crosstour-2003-2012-118/03-honda-accord-hesitation-issue-3331029/)

Jjpogue0229 12-02-2018 06:49 PM

03 honda accord hesitation issue

Hello everyone I have a 03 honda accord with what seems like a unique issue considering I've spent hours on multiple forums and I can't find anyone with a similar issue. So just to give a little backstory here I bought this car at a little mom a pop shop in the worst possible condition aside from being in the junkyard. But got a great "deal" on it if you know what I mean. I've had the car for a year now and so far I've replaced the transmission and I only mention that so later when your read my issue I won't get responses on that matter. It's a standard 5 speed as well. So when the transmission was done my air cleaner hose was torn to bits basically by the mechanic. Which is to be expected no issue there I replaced it with a brand new one. But ever since I've Been getting a slight hesitation but only at maintaining speed so at very little throttle. It doesn't matter the speed I'm going either. But just a fraction more on the accelerator and it goes away. My car read a code for a lean condition. So naturally I cleaned my mass air flow sensor knowing it was probably polluted driving it the short amount I did on my way to replace the intake hose. And it help my idle out and my performance. The same day hours after driving around the car was running great and all of a sudden it when into limp mode. Which I know I'm at fault for cause I went a year without changing the oil or filter cause I would lose about a quart of oil every week or so depending on how much I drove it. Which apparently is normal for these vehicals cause they were made like complete garbage and I'm sure everyone here knows about the oil piston rings being **** on this particular model. Anyway i had the car profesionally flushed and put fresh oil and filter on it and so far for two days everything is working the way it should as long as I'm not trying to maintain speed. I can let the throttle go drop the clutch at the rpms land perfectly at 1000 and don't move at all.. if I hit the acceleration at any amount more then just barely no problems at all. I can floor it and it has more power now then it ever has since I bought it. Any idea what could be causing this? No check engine light

ledennis 12-12-2018 10:33 AM

Re: 03 honda accord hesitation issue

From what you are saying, not changing your oil for a year. Not changing your oil for that long can cause...I'm sure you already know. The dirty oil can build up around the VTech gasket and lead to VVT Variable Valve Timing issue...I will cheek Variable Valve Timing Solenoid (VTEC Solenoid)...possible just change the Vtech gasket...Not sure if that will help. good luck

2skys1imit3 12-12-2018 06:32 PM

Re: 03 honda accord hesitation issue

i once heard about a lady who brought her BMW into the dealership and said, "i didn't know BMWs needed oil changes" lol

onto your problem

this is for Auto but most of these are on Manual as well:
lower RPM, start with the cheap fixes

you know about junkyards which is great

1. grab a new MAFs sensor (held on by one bolt on top of TB)
2. change both 3rd and 4th Gear pressure switches...easy to do, you can remove the driver front wheel but its not necessary
3. The A/B Solenoid, take off 6 10mm bolts and check for debris in the tubes w/mesh filter
4. Replace the A/B Solenoid gasket

this is where i would start...good luck!