Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

'03 Accord LX (K24) Throttle Position Sensor HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 '03 Accord LX (K24) Throttle Position Sensor HELP!

I got a code for a bad TPS on my Accord. I know that I'm supposed to buy a whole new throttle body ($500), but I see that there are a couple of "racing" TPS's that I can buy for $80 - $120.

Does anyone have any experience taking-off the factory one and using any of these non-factory replacement TPS's?

I'm not an expert mechanic or anything, so any suggestions would help. Thanks everyone!
Old 05-16-2010, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: '03 Accord LX (K24) Throttle Position Sensor HELP!

Here are some pictures. Can anyone please tell me what these three lines are? Also... Please take a look at the fasteners on the TPS. Some people have said that they're usually riveted on, but it almost looks like they're actually anchor-nuts with screws coming through from the other side.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Shane_1983
Here are some pictures. Can anyone please tell me what these three lines are? Also... Please take a look at the fasteners on the TPS. Some people have said that they're usually riveted on, but it almost looks like they're actually anchor-nuts with screws coming through from the other side.

1# I think goes to air assist valve on inner IM (if you followed hose to other end and took pic, know for sure )
2# and 3# are heater water lines to keep TB warm and stop it from sticking in cold weather .
Old 05-17-2010, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cut a line all the way across the tamper proof rivets (very carefully) big enough so you can use a flathead screwdriver. It should come out very easily(be very steady with your cutting)
Old 05-17-2010, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the replies.

**Update**

Last night I bought a Dremel to do exactly what you (sfetech01) said. After I burned up the $5.00 cutter bit (the only cutter bit that WalMart carries), I decided to just shave the plastic around the heads of the screws. Once the plastic was shaved away, it was really easy to grab the heads of the screws with small vice-grips.

Anyway... I got the part out without having to remove the throttle body, so I'm happy about that.

I'll take a pic of that #1 line anyway just in-case anyone else has to remove a TB. Maybe this thread will help someone.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here are the pics of the line that I labeled #1. Hope this helps you ID it.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Success! Got my TPS from BLOX Racing (bloxracing.com) for $100 including shipping. Installed easily, did voltage checks according to the instructions that I found on their site. Car is running like new again.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:58 AM
Trial User

Icon6 Re: '03 Accord LX (K24) Throttle Position Sensor HELP!

Hello Shane 1983.

I have the same issue and my car idle very poor, I have the same car (2003 accord lx 4dr k24). my OBD reads the same, P122 throttle/peddle sensor a low input. I am really happy to know that you were abe to fix it on your, please help and guide me on how you changed it..?

I will order the blox racing sensor but I dont know how to change it.. please help me out, it will greatly be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey... From what I understand, the pedal position sensor is different... It's located above your accelerator pedal behind the bottom of the dash. I've never changed that one before, but I believe that it's similar. Take a look under there with a flashlight and see if you can access it.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's a pic of the PEDAL position sensor. You just need to be sure which of the two sensors is bad, but I would bet that it's this one on your car.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Shane_1983
Here's a pic of the PEDAL position sensor. You just need to be sure which of the two sensors is bad, but I would bet that it's this one on your car.

2003 LX don't have that ,just like yours cable to TB (EX V6 does have accel sensor )
Old 05-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok... Thanks for the info... Well, if it's the same sensor, then it was really easy.

You can order the one that I got from bloxracing.com or you can find one made by a company called Omni Power.

The blox racing sensor fixed my problem and it was the least expensive fix. The ONLY complaint (not major) is that the plastic shell is not EXACTLY the same as the OEM sensor. So the plug didn't "click" on to the sensor until I shaved a little plastic off of the top. (I'll explain that in a minute)

***Here are the instructions (I got them from Omni Power)***

1, grind slots on the stock tps sensor bolts so that a flat blade screw driver can be used to loosen them. The stock bolts are break off bolts/tamper proof bolts. You can use a dremel with a small 1 inch diameter cutting wheel. You can do it on the car with out removing the throttle body for most models.
2. after you make the slots on the stock break off bolts, use a 90 degree screw driver, butter knife, or other similar type of object and loosen the bolts and remove them.
3. remove the TPS sensor, taking care not to damage the stock gasket. You can use a small flat blade screwdriver to carefully separate the gasket from the tps. If you break the gasket its not the end of the world just use a small amount of silicon when re-installing the new one.
4.install the new tps sensor and put it in the middle of its adjustment range. (the holes are slotted and allow for adjustment). use a 4mm allen wrench (90 degree) to tighten the bolts snug.
5. with the tps sensor plug connected and the key in the on position *engine off*, use a multi meter to check the voltage on the red and black wire on the tps connector. Adjust the voltage to .45 volts with the throttle closed. Also check wide open throttle to see if there is approximately 4.5 volts +-.2 volts.*after adjustment tighten the allen bolts.
6. test drive vehicle to check for proper performance.
*Omnipower TPS sensors are manufactured by Kei Hin (the same supplier as OEM*Honda) There is no difference between our sensor and the OEM sensor. We have a sticker in place for warranty purposes, if you remove or alter the sticker we cannot warranty the sensor for any reason because we cannot determine ours from OEM as they are the same.

***Back to my only problem with the Blox sensor***

At the very top of the jack (the part that the harness plug goes on to), I had to shave off a tiny little bit of plastic to get the plug to click into place. You could also just zip-tie or "safety wire" it on there.

The Omni Power sensor is $20 more, so I would still order the Blox sensor if I had to do it again. This is really not a big deal.