Notices
Honda Accord 2018- Current This is the place to discuss all things Honda Accord related for the 2018- Current model year

2018 Accord with electrical gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Accord with electrical gremlins

Posting this for a close friend of mine.

Car is a 2018 Accord with 10k miles. She seems to have a few electrical problems:
-Cruise control causes rapid acceleration?? Huge red flag for safety. Do these cars have electronic throttle bodies?
-Car has trouble at times idling or accelerating, seems to bog down and wants to stall "acts like it wants to die"
-Problems with the dash board and glove box rattling
-Electronics in dash work intermittently such as heating/cooking/radio.

The car is being looked at by Honda engineers and she has a case manager.

At what point can she request a buy back on the car to exchange it for another car? She's getting very frustrated at having a new car spending so much time in the shop.

This is in Ohio.

​​​​​​Thanks
Old 03-12-2018, 08:28 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 2018 Accord with electrical gremlins

I never buy a first year of a new generation. Which 2018 is for an Accord. I have always bought the last year. I have had a 1989 Accord. A 1997 Accord. And my current car a 2017 Accord EXL. All of which are the last years of those generations. I figure by buying the last year that all the "bugs" will be worked out and will be more refined. But that's just me.

Cheers!
Old 03-13-2018, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HonBeer
I never buy a first year of a new generation. Which 2018 is for an Accord. I have always bought the last year. I have had a 1989 Accord. A 1997 Accord. And my current car a 2017 Accord EXL. All of which are the last years of those generations. I figure by buying the last year that all the "bugs" will be worked out and will be more refined. But that's just me.

Cheers!
Agreed, that's good advice, though not really helpful with any of these issues my friend is having.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It will be more difficult if the issue is different every time. It varies by state but in NJ for instance you can start the process after two attempts for the same issue. You would send an actual letter to Honda of America stating that they have one more chance to fix the issue:

"The certified letter may be sent only after you have had at least two repair attempts for the same defect, or 20 cumulative days out of service for one or more defects, and the defect still exists. In the case of a “serious safety defect,” the letter can be sent after a single repair attempt and the defect still exists."

The 20 cumulative days might apply here but it depends on what they consider to be "the same defect." I just had a Subaru repurchased for a CEL that came on the day after I brought it home that wouldn't go away. She should actual tell HOA that she wants to pursue a repurchase and see what they say. Worst case is to have a lawyer look into it to see if there is a Lemon Law case.

Good luck.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GeeReg
It will be more difficult if the issue is different every time. It varies by state but in NJ for instance you can start the process after two attempts for the same issue. You would send an actual letter to Honda of America stating that they have one more chance to fix the issue:

"The certified letter may be sent only after you have had at least two repair attempts for the same defect, or 20 cumulative days out of service for one or more defects, and the defect still exists. In the case of a “serious safety defect,” the letter can be sent after a single repair attempt and the defect still exists."

The 20 cumulative days might apply here but it depends on what they consider to be "the same defect." I just had a Subaru repurchased for a CEL that came on the day after I brought it home that wouldn't go away. She should actual tell HOA that she wants to pursue a repurchase and see what they say. Worst case is to have a lawyer look into it to see if there is a Lemon Law case.

Good luck.
Thank you, this is very helpful.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:30 PM
Farts in the shower

Honestly, since it's brand new and still under warranty they should take it to the dealer with these concerns. No sense in throwing money at repairs or providing an internet diagnosis as the dealer should/will take care of all of these concerns. Since that is the route it appears they are taking, I would start to research lemon laws in your state. In Colorado, last I knew, the same repair or attempt would need to be 3 times then a lemon could be issued, it varies with new cars as there is usually a time limit to enact a lemon law after such a current purchase.

Originally Posted by Ohio DMV
To qualify as a lemon in Ohio, your new vehicle must have a major unresolved issue (or multiple issues) that seriously compromises its safety. Your vehicle (passenger car, light truck, or motorcycle) may be covered if any of the following apply:
  • Your vehicle is less than 1 year old.
  • The odometer has less than 18,000 miles on it.
Before proceeding with your lemon law case, you must give the dealer/manufacturer a reasonable opportunity to fix the issue under warranty. There must have been:
  • At least 3 attempts to repair a single problem.
  • A total of at least 30 days of repair time in the shop.
  • At least 8 attempts to fix several problems.
    OR
  • At least 1 attempt to repair an issue that could cause death or serious injury.
If you cannot work out a deal with the manufacturer out of court or through arbitration, you can file a civil suit as long as it is within 5 years of the purchase date.
Source: https://www.dmv.org/oh-ohio/automoti.../lemon-law.php