Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (2013 - 2015) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-2013-2015-167/)
-   -   2015 Accord LX Manual/Automatic swap from CVT (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-2013-2015-167/2015-accord-lx-manual-automatic-swap-cvt-3334962/)

dmandras 03-14-2019 01:59 PM

2015 Accord LX Manual/Automatic swap from CVT

Hi everyone,
I recently got a '15 Accord LX with a CVT, and while I enjoy how the car rides, I hate the CVT itself. Would it be feasible to replace the CVT with either the manual or the automatic, or would it require significant body work, extra parts, and lots more money than just purchasing the transmission?

TheMuffinMan 03-14-2019 03:29 PM

Re: 2015 Accord LX Manual/Automatic swap from CVT

That's such a new car that I cannot imagine it's financially sensible to swap it versus selling it and buying one with a manual transmission already.

If you're asking this question I'm assuming it means you're planning on paying someone to do the work which makes it even more cost prohibitive.

BLKFLSH 03-14-2019 04:20 PM

If you can't sell the CVT, and buy a manual with the proceeds, you're probably stuck with it. Swapping engines, and transmissions is nothing like the old days (90's). Everything connected to the transmissions is different, like computers, sensors, wiring harnesses, etc. Even if you had a free donor car, it's just too much work IMO.

dderolph 03-14-2019 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by dmandras (Post 51887771)
Hi everyone,
I recently got a '15 Accord LX with a CVT, and while I enjoy how the car rides, I hate the CVT itself.

Can you elaborate on why you hate the CVT? Perhaps you just need to allow more time to get used to it.

dmandras 03-14-2019 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by dderolph (Post 51887852)
Can you elaborate on why you hate the CVT? Perhaps you just need to allow more time to get used to it.

Sure thing. I really dislike how slow it is to 60, and I've seen that the manual (in ideal conditions) can be almost 2 seconds faster to 60 than the CVT. Along with that, when I have it floored, hearing the engine pegged close to the redline doesn't sound great to me. I also have these random shudders around low speeds or when I advance the throttle, which do distract from the otherwise excellent driving experience. Lastly, I very much dislike how the car will continue to accelerate while the engine sits at a constant RPM, which I sometimes don't pick up on, and it throws me off very often.

dmandras 03-14-2019 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by BLKFLSH (Post 51887842)
If you can't sell the CVT, and buy a manual with the proceeds, you're probably stuck with it. Swapping engines, and transmissions is nothing like the old days (90's). Everything connected to the transmissions is different, like computers, sensors, wiring harnesses, etc. Even if you had a free donor car, it's just too much work IMO.

That's a shame. I really do enjoy the car as a whole, it's just that the CVT detracts from the experience for me for the reasons above this message.

9thGenSport 04-21-2023 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by dmandras (Post 51887908)
That's a shame. I really do enjoy the car as a whole, it's just that the CVT detracts from the experience for me for the reasons above this message.

Thinking about doing this to my 2013 accord sport cvt as well. People keep telling me the same thing but I'd like to commit to this car. I've seen people use the slickfab turbo kit with 6mt making 300hp on a stock motor and trans on only 6 psi. If the swap is possible I'd like to be led in the right direction and not told to upgrade to a v6 6AT or a 10th gen 2.0t. I wonder if the 8 speed dct(tlx), 9 speed auto (tlx v6) or 6 speed auto from the v6 accord would work as well.