Honda Accord (2013 - Current) 2013 - Current Honda Accord and Inspire

2014 Honda Accord Starter Solenoid

Old 10-11-2018, 07:18 AM
Trial User

Default 2014 Honda Accord Starter Solenoid

Hello,
I've been reading through the forums and surprise surprise I've seen a lot of posts about 2013-2017 accord starter issues. My wife's 2014 2.4L 4cl with 133000 miles is having starting issues. I had the battery warrantied and I've replaced the alternator because it was tested bad by AutoZone. It did well for a couple weeks then started sporadically not starting again. I had the battery and alternator tested again and they passed. I'm not sure who can test a starter for free. Now, most of the posts have said to replace the starter which I don't have a problem doing. It looked pretty easy to do, but I had a question about the system. My step-dad, who I ask about car issues, stated that there is usually a solenoid between the starter and battery that could be the problem. I can't find any documentation stating that there is a solenoid outside of the starter. So my question...Is there a solenoid to replace for $20 instead of me buying a $250 starter?
Thanks,
Nick
Old 10-11-2018, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2014 Honda Accord Starter Solenoid

Originally Posted by Sigman View Post
So my question...Is there a solenoid to replace for $20 instead of me buying a $250 starter?
Thanks,
Nick
No. There is no solenoid.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DCFIVER View Post
No. There is no solenoid.
Let me clarify. there are serviceable parts to be sure. There is no solenoid,but the starter can be rebuilt. Ive not taken one apart so I do not know what the fault is,but if you can figure it out,you can replace just that part you need.

If you are mechanically inclined, I imagine they are fairly easy to rebuild(most Honda starters are)
Old 10-12-2018, 05:03 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by DCFIVER View Post
Let me clarify. there are serviceable parts to be sure. There is no solenoid,but the starter can be rebuilt. Ive not taken one apart so I do not know what the fault is,but if you can figure it out,you can replace just that part you need.

If you are mechanically inclined, I imagine they are fairly easy to rebuild(most Honda starters are)
Thank you. From what I could tell there was no Solenoid on the outside of the unit like some other starters I've seen. If the starter had fewer miles on it I might be more likely to replace a specific part but it already has over 130k miles on it. I'm going to double check the relay and replace the starter if the relay is good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: