Notices
Honda Accord (2013 - 2015) 2013 - 2015 Honda Accord and Inspire

2014 Honda Accord Hybrid Timing Chain "Stretched"

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid Timing Chain "Stretched"

My 2104 Accord Hybrid has been diagnosed with a stretched timing chain. The car has less than 6,000 miles on it and had on schedule oil changes with the right oil (and amount of oil) and oil filters. The low oil indicator has never come on.
A Honda technician has said that the only the only possible cause of the stretched chain was because the engine was run with low oil--BUT that does not fit the actual history of the car.

What else could have caused the chain damage???

By the way, they also had to replace the fuel injector.

Marge
Old 05-12-2017, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid Timing Chain "Stretched"

the stretched timing chain and fuel injector should be covered under warranty, you should have taken it back to the dealer right away . I wouldn't of have tried to diagnose anything on a new car when it's that new
Old 05-15-2017, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by maleb
My 2104 Accord Hybrid has been diagnosed with a stretched timing chain. The car has less than 6,000 miles on it and had on schedule oil changes with the right oil (and amount of oil) and oil filters. The low oil indicator has never come on.
A Honda technician has said that the only the only possible cause of the stretched chain was because the engine was run with low oil--BUT that does not fit the actual history of the car.

What else could have caused the chain damage???

By the way, they also had to replace the fuel injector.

Marge
What were the symptoms? Agreed that it may still be under warranty.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi,
Thanks for the responses and sorry for my delayed response (been visiting relatives in Texas and came back to the start of a remodel--hectic!).
While driving the car I noticed the check engine light and as I was just approaching an off-ramp from the highway, I took the off-ramp and very soon the engine started to shutter and I immediately pulled over and turned off the engine. We waited for 15 minutes and restarted the engine and no warning lights/messages came on. I drove slowly a short distance when the engine check light came back on and the Multi-Information Display started cycling through the warning messages. No engine shutter. I pulled off the road and called AAA.

They towed me to the nearest Honda dealership--Val Strough Honda in Seaside, CA.

I had records that showed that I had done the required maintenance with the right oil, the right amount of oil, and the right oil filters. The car has less than 6,000 miles on it. There was oil in the engine when I brought it in.

The dealership service consultant and the technician both say that I did nothing wrong and that the warranty should apply. However the service manager says that I should pay. I have contacted Honda Customer Relations and they are looking into it.

I would like to know if anyone else has had any timing chain and fuel injector problems with the 2014 to current Honda Accord Hybrid???

THANKS, Marge
Old 05-20-2017, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by maleb
Hi,
Thanks for the responses and sorry for my delayed response (been visiting relatives in Texas and came back to the start of a remodel--hectic!).
While driving the car I noticed the check engine light and as I was just approaching an off-ramp from the highway, I took the off-ramp and very soon the engine started to shutter and I immediately pulled over and turned off the engine. We waited for 15 minutes and restarted the engine and no warning lights/messages came on. I drove slowly a short distance when the engine check light came back on and the Multi-Information Display started cycling through the warning messages. No engine shutter. I pulled off the road and called AAA.

They towed me to the nearest Honda dealership--Val Strough Honda in Seaside, CA.

I had records that showed that I had done the required maintenance with the right oil, the right amount of oil, and the right oil filters. The car has less than 6,000 miles on it. There was oil in the engine when I brought it in.

The dealership service consultant and the technician both say that I did nothing wrong and that the warranty should apply. However the service manager says that I should pay. I have contacted Honda Customer Relations and they are looking into it.

I would like to know if anyone else has had any timing chain and fuel injector problems with the 2014 to current Honda Accord Hybrid???

THANKS, Marge
Theres is no good reason at all that the chain should have failed at that mileage.

Fight or your warranty.