Notices
Honda Accord (2013 - 2015) 2013 - 2015 Honda Accord and Inspire

Weird Accord starter problem

Old 09-30-2018, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Weird Accord starter problem

2014 Accord Sport. Began experiencing the random starting problem that is abundantly discussed. Changed out the starter following fairly easy instructions. Had tested rhe new starter before installation and the starter spun and the bendix extended. Tried to start the car and all I hear is the spinning motor but the bendix is not engaging. I know the starter motor and solenoid are working so I'm wondering if there's something up the line that could be causing the starter to not engage. Any one have this kind of experience and how did you solve it? Frustrated.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Weird Accord starter problem

Reman starter? Sounds like a bad starter to me. Although I suppose it could a flywheel issue.

This is an issue where one needs to be physically present to diagnose. If you feel uncomfortable with your diag, try google or yelp for a shop in your area....
Old 10-03-2018, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it a 4cylinder or a V6? I know they have a service bulletin out on the 6 cylinder. It references issues with the flywheel
Old 10-11-2018, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In answer to the above replies:

It's a 2014 Sport with a 4 cylinder and manual transmission.We started out with a starter from O'reilly. Returned it for another. Didn't work. Got our money back and went to AutoZone. Same problem.

The O'Reilly site said the one we got was for a manual transmission, not an automatic. I believe there is a difference. We've checked the battery and the voltage going to both wires to the starter. All good.

So I'm wondering if the auto parts stores have been giving us starters for an auto trans and not manual, thus the bend is working, but it's just not reaching the flywheel. The other weird thing is AutoZone had a starter in stock. Manual trans accords are pretty rare and I think it a bit unusual that they would have one in stock.

I guess the next step is to bite the bullet and purchase the right motor from Honda.

Opinions?
Old 10-11-2018, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

312005A2A02 is the Honda part number for a manual trans starter.

https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/ is the best,cheapest online source for Honda parts. Customer service is outstanding. Ive used them on and off for over 13 years.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If both starters spun but didn't engage I would check the flywheel. Is there anyway you can see the teeth on the flywheel without having it on a rack?

I use NAPA parts I have had better results with them

Do you have a local rebuilder around you for starters? I use to have a great shop but they closed
Old 10-12-2018, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I doubt it's a problem with teeth of the flywheel since my son has been driving the car for a couple of weeks. It requires him to park on a slope and pop the clutch to start. That would mean there are no teeth on the flywheel since it has probably been in a different alignment when trying to start the car. Has anyone ever lost all the teeth on their flywheel?

This all began with the intermittent starter problem that a lot of people on this forum have been having. The original starter would take several times to work and eventually got to the point where it didn't work. Autozone tested the original and the motor was dead and the solenoid was okay. Nothing changes from the point of removing the original and installing the first one. It's a pretty easy procedure.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when they test the starter at the parts store and it tests 'good' it doesn't necessarily mean it will work in your car. There is 2 totally different environments involved. There is no way they can replicate the 'in car' environment.
Old 04-04-2024, 04:07 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by peterkemp47
In answer to the above replies:

It's a 2014 Sport with a 4 cylinder and manual transmission.We started out with a starter from O'reilly. Returned it for another. Didn't work. Got our money back and went to AutoZone. Same problem.

The O'Reilly site said the one we got was for a manual transmission, not an automatic. I believe there is a difference. We've checked the battery and the voltage going to both wires to the starter. All good.

So I'm wondering if the auto parts stores have been giving us starters for an auto trans and not manual, thus the bend is working, but it's just not reaching the flywheel. The other weird thing is AutoZone had a starter in stock. Manual trans accords are pretty rare and I think it a bit unusual that they would have one in stock.

I guess the next step is to bite the bullet and purchase the right motor from Honda.

Opinions?
yes there sure is a difference! Crazy thing is they rarely ask! But yeah there is a starter that fits a AT and a different starter that fits a MT.

Denso website is the only website that’ll ask if MT or AT.. Advanced, Autozone, Oreilly, none of them verify trans…