Honda Accord (2013 - 2015) 2013 - 2015 Honda Accord and Inspire

Fluid changes and maintenance

Old 05-22-2019, 08:59 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluid changes and maintenance

In regards to when to change fluids, I know the generic answer will be "follow the owners manual." However, what about when cars are only driven say, 5,000 miles per year? It doesn't say explicitly in the manual, but I assume that I shouldn't wait until the MM comes on to change the fluids in a car that doesn't get driven a lot. So, in this situation, what are the approximate years to change the major fluids? I was thinking oil every year, transmission every 4-5 years, coolant every 5-7, brake fluid every 3 as the manual states.

Does that sound reasonable?

How about power steering fluid? I know Honda says not to replace it ever, but doesn't ANY fluid get dirty over time? Would 15 year old power steering fluid ever still be good?
Old 06-07-2019, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fluid changes and maintenance

Originally Posted by CPA Nerd View Post
In regards to when to change fluids, I know the generic answer will be "follow the owners manual." However, what about when cars are only driven say, 5,000 miles per year? It doesn't say explicitly in the manual, but I assume that I shouldn't wait until the MM comes on to change the fluids in a car that doesn't get driven a lot. So, in this situation, what are the approximate years to change the major fluids? I was thinking oil every year, transmission every 4-5 years, coolant every 5-7, brake fluid every 3 as the manual states.

Does that sound reasonable?
Very much so.

Originally Posted by CPA Nerd View Post
How about power steering fluid? I know Honda says not to replace it ever, but doesn't ANY fluid get dirty over time? Would 15 year old power steering fluid ever still be good?
Good question. Yes, all fluid becomes degraded. The detergents and other additives deplete over time. Additionally the fluid becomes contaminated from moisture and particulate matter from aging seals,hoses, and metal tubing coatings.

The running joke in the automotive industry is when the OEMs call their fluid "lifetime" fluids. In reality they are warranty fluids. In other words, the fluid should easily last through out the new car warranty period, then it is not their problem anymore.

There is no hard fast rule for changing out PS fluid, so different techs will give you different answers. On my personal vehicles, I change the fluid every 3 years,which is also what we recommend to our customers.

My '03 RSX is my oldest vehicle with 220,000 miles. Ive never had a leaking rack and pinion or power steering pump and I completely attribute that to regular fluid flushes.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fluid changes and maintenance

Scotty Kilmer of TV show and Youtube fame suggests once a year for oil and filter if vehicle only driven a little bit per year. I don't think he's done a video on any other fluids concerning cars only driven a small amount per year.

Fluids are cheap, new transmissions are not! LOL

DCFIVER....your RSX went 220,000 miles on the same rack and pinion gears? My '02 Accord NEEDED a new rack and pinion gear at about 80,000 miles! I replaced it much later and it was "like driving a new car." Last year, I had to evade a speeding SUV and really figured I'd roll my car over putting her through such extreme steering. To my very pleasant surprise, she held the road like a champ and I attribute that to God and my new rack and pinion gear which at the time, cost about 1/2 what the car was worth.