Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Wiring center console question (cigarette lighter and radio)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 12:56 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring center console question (cigarette lighter and radio)

So I picked this car up from my roommate and I knew it had a little bit of an electrical mess. So far I've fixed a lot of things with it. Dimmer switch, VSS and some others that he didn't even know were the problem. You guys were a big help with that stuff though. Now my problem is cigarette lighter and radio wiring.

Right now there is no radio and the cigarette lighter is not even wired up. I found a couple stray wires besides the speaker wires. One is Yellow/White another is Solid Yellow and the final one is Red/Black. The Yellow/White has 12v constant and so does the Red/Black one. The Solid Yellow only has 3V on it when the car is turned on. So I'm thinking the 3 volts would probably tun on a relay or something.

So my question is if I don't wanna bother with a relay Can I use one of the constant 12v wires to power the lighter and the other constant 12v to power the radio? I'd tape off the 3v of course. I know this would mean the radio would constantly be on but I have a unit I can turn off/remove the face. Would it drain the battery having constant voltage?
Old 10-22-2009, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Wiring center console question (cigarette lighter and radio)

Originally Posted by BRGeer
So I picked this car up from my roommate and I knew it had a little bit of an electrical mess. So far I've fixed a lot of things with it. Dimmer switch, VSS and some others that he didn't even know were the problem. You guys were a big help with that stuff though. Now my problem is cigarette lighter and radio wiring.

Right now there is no radio and the cigarette lighter is not even wired up. I found a couple stray wires besides the speaker wires. One is Yellow/White another is Solid Yellow and the final one is Red/Black. The Yellow/White has 12v constant and so does the Red/Black one. The Solid Yellow only has 3V on it when the car is turned on. So I'm thinking the 3 volts would probably tun on a relay or something.

So my question is if I don't wanna bother with a relay Can I use one of the constant 12v wires to power the lighter and the other constant 12v to power the radio? I'd tape off the 3v of course. I know this would mean the radio would constantly be on but I have a unit I can turn off/remove the face. Would it drain the battery having constant voltage?
theres a white/yellow wire that comes from under dash fuse box, fuse #11 and goes to the cigarette lighter relay.
theres also another white/yellow that comes from the under hood fuse #39 and goes to the radio for memory

the red/black come from console dash lights and illuminates the cigarette lighter and ash tray.

not sure on that yellow wire...
hope this helps you a lil bit...good luck..