Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

white milky substance under oil cap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default white milky substance under oil cap?

I installed an autozone intake and removed the old air cleaner assembly and when i drive in wet weather i see water accumulation around the area where my air intake is. I have been driving this way for some time and when I wanted to change my engine oil I looked underneath the oil cap and there is a milky substance the same as everyone is describing on this forum. Do you all think this is from my intake taking in water or is it something else? Is there anything to worry about>? thanks for the help. The car idles and runs fine
Old 12-10-2007, 12:24 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: white milky substance under oil cap? (01accordlx)

are you loosing coolant?
Old 12-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: white milky substance under oil cap? (YeuEmMaiMai)

Chocolate milk is what you get when you mix water with oil. There is a lot to worry about. Water in the oil is not good. When you changed the intake are you sure that you reconnected the valve cover breather to the intake and the coolant line went to another coolant line? Take the filter off and look into the arm to see if you see any water/coolant. If not then you will want to have a leak down test done. This will tell you if you are leaking coolant into the cylinders.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:32 PM

That substance under the cap is a pretty common thing. I do quite a few oil changes on many vehicles at work and see that stuff on all of them. I'm not quite sure what causes it for sure, but I've seen it on vehicles with 30,000 miles, so obviously it's not the headgasket or anything like that. Honestly, I'm thinking it has something to do with gas getting into the oil as the result of blow-by in the crankcase. My RX-7 had pretty bad fuel dilution and it would build that milky substance pretty badly on the oil fill tube.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:00 AM

Just be sure you're looking at the cap after the car has been completely warmed up. If not, it could just be some consensation, especially if you're in a cold area.
If after about a half hour of driving around you still have the milkshake cap, fix it. To check if it's the intake, replace it with the stock one and check again.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:46 AM

Default Re: white milky substance under oil cap? (m735is)

Thanks for the help. I changed my oil and after driving for a while I checked under the oil cap again and its much more minimal. I dont think it is a problem anymore. Thanks everyone for your help and team work. I love you guys already.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:48 AM

Default Re: white milky substance under oil cap? (YeuEmMaiMai)

Thanks for the help. I changed my oil and after driving for a while I checked under the oil cap again and its much more minimal. I dont think it is a problem anymore. Thanks everyone for your help and team work. I love you guys already.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it may just be caused by water vapor trapped in the valve cover that doesn't manage to get out through the PCV system. If you can peer down with a flashlight at the rocker assembly under the cap and it looks like normal oil, it should be fine. If looks like somebody busted a nut on your camshaft, start worrying..
Old 12-11-2007, 12:17 PM

Default Re: white milky substance under oil cap? (Secret Chimp)

thanks very much. There is NO milky white residue on the oil dip stick. Just clean oil since I changed it..... thanks everyone
Old 12-11-2007, 12:56 PM
ate my pixel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (A_Rotary_Guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by A_Rotary_Guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That substance under the cap is a pretty common thing. I do quite a few oil changes on many vehicles at work and see that stuff on all of them. I'm not quite sure what causes it for sure, but I've seen it on vehicles with 30,000 miles, so obviously it's not the headgasket or anything like that. Honestly, I'm thinking it has something to do with gas getting into the oil as the result of blow-by in the crankcase. My RX-7 had pretty bad fuel dilution and it would build that milky substance pretty badly on the oil fill tube.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Condensation on the oil filler tube is not uncommon at all, any moisture in the engine can condensate in the upper part of the filler tube, and then when the oil contacts it as you pull out the tube, it will form this substance. However, if you're doing an oil change and all your oil is milky looking, this is a bad sign. Is there any trace of oil in your antifreeze/radiator?
Old 12-12-2007, 05:05 AM

Default Re: (Twixle)

thanks very much. There is NO milky white residue on the oil dip stick. Just clean oil since I changed it..... thanks everyone
Old 12-12-2007, 05:07 AM

Default Re: (Twixle)

I BAUGHT A SOLO SHORT SHIFTER ASSEMBLY FOR MY 01 ACCORD LX WITH A 5 SPEED MANUAL TRANS, AND IT DID NOT COME WITH INSTRUCTIONS. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO PERFORM THIS INSTALLATION? HOPEFULLY SOMEONE HAS A LINK WITH PICTURES....LOL....THANKS
Old 12-12-2007, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Re: (01accordlx)

It's been 5 years since I installed mine but here is a pic of it installed if it helps any.

You have to remove the entire center console and arm rest to be able to get at the shift lever. Installing the adapter itself is a POP. It's getting the console and armrest out of the way that is the hardest part.

Yours looks a wee bit different. But I think the only difference is that yours has two screws to secure it to the shift lever where mine only has one.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:08 AM

Default Re: (GhostAccord)

Wow thank you so much my friend. This is exactly what I needed. It looks very similar and it shows the way the adapter works. The solo adapter I have is very much the same. Thanks..... I can now attempt this installation .
Old 12-12-2007, 07:19 AM

Did the DC adapter make a big difference with shifting and did you also change or buy the shifter itself. Meaning the lever? thanks for the help sir
Old 12-12-2007, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

It made about a .75" - 1" difference in the throw of the shift. It's not really noticeable until you drive an accord that doesn't have one then jump back into one that does. All I bought was the adapter. for my lever I just cut it down 1" and used a die to cut new threads on the end for the shift ****.

Modified by GhostAccord at 9:03 AM 12/13/2007
Old 12-13-2007, 04:01 AM

Thank you again. Sounds like a good idea to cut and then die a new thread verses buying one.....
Old 12-26-2007, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have the same problem...i had this creamy milk chocolate milk look alike all over my cam seals and my valve cover...changed the headgasket..and ran it for ten minutes...still have that white creamy stuff on my oil cap...resurfaced the head and baught new oem headgasket...full-race dowel pins...arp headstuds...warped head? would suck *** huh
Old 12-27-2007, 04:47 PM

Like I said in an earlier post, I've seen that stuff inside oil caps for cars that had 30k on them. I'm pretty sure it's just condensation building up in the oil cap that mixes with the oil. Last time I had a motor that had water in the oil it had that same type of subtance in it when we disassembled the motor. Also, sometimes it could indicate the PCV valve not working correctly. I took the PCV valve setup off my RX-7 and set up a catch can to catch all the crap coming out of the oil fill tube and I had that milky substance all over the cap and fill tube from condensation building inside of the fill tube.