Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Wheel Bearings...replacing, do I need to buy the CIRCLIP also?

Old 04-16-2007, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Bearings...replacing, do I need to buy the CIRCLIP also?

I went to they mechanic, they said $75 to install the bearing, so Imma just get the HONDA bearing $51 plus shipping. BUT should I get the CIRCLIP also (see part # 21) $8 more. I dont want to be in the middle of the job and find out I need one.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...)&vinsrch=null
Old 04-16-2007, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Wheel Bearings...replacing, do I need to buy the CIRCLIP also? (mxl36o)

I would replace it anyway. You can probably save the old one, but its only 8$, so I would just get it anyway.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:54 PM

^ agreed. If your planning on doing this your self, your going to need a press to press in and extract the bearings.

-Eric
Old 04-16-2007, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wheel Bearings...replacing, do I need to buy the CIRCLIP also? (mxl36o)

You wont need to replace the c-clip. just be sure to press the hub(#3) out and remove clip before trying to press the bearing out. Youll need to cut the outter race off of the hub. Press in new bearing and install c-clip. You'll need to support the bottom of the bearing to keep the inner race in the assembly as the hub is pressed in.

Sound confusing? Just pay someone to do it.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wheel Bearings...replacing, do I need to buy the CIRCLIP also? (rsvmille)

i'm actually gonna pay $75.. but i wondered if i should buy that peice also
Old 04-17-2007, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Wheel Bearings...replacing, do I need to buy the CIRCLIP also? (rsvmille)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rsvmille &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You wont need to replace the c-clip. just be sure to press the hub(#3) out and remove clip before trying to press the bearing out. Youll need to cut the outter race off of the hub. Press in new bearing and install c-clip. You'll need to support the bottom of the bearing to keep the inner race in the assembly as the hub is pressed in.

Sound confusing? Just pay someone to do it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Only a butcher would use the torch as his first option. If you have a half decent air hammer, you can punch out the race, no need to use heat. and how are you suppoed to install the new bearing with the c-clip still in the groove?

I doubt you have changed a wheel bearing.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Re: Wheel Bearings...replacing, do I need to buy the CIRCLIP also? (JDM_DC4_Fanatic)

Wohhh........ I can't believe what I'm hearing here... I wouldn't go near a machined part, hub in this case, with either a torch or an Air hammer..... that's what an F'n bearing press is for, I'm sure there must be someone around that would let you use there press for the 2 minutes it takes to press the race out...... expletive!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-17-2007, 08:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rsvmille &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You wont need to replace the c-clip. just be sure to press the hub(#3) out and remove clip before trying to press the bearing out. Youll need to cut the INNER race off of the hub. Press in new bearing and install c-clip. You'll need to support the bottom of the bearing to keep the inner race in the assembly as the hub is pressed in.

Sound confusing? Just pay someone to do it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

made one small edit and I agree 100% with this.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Wheel Bearings...replacing, do I need to buy the CIRCLIP also? (JDM_DC4_Fanatic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_DC4_Fanatic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Only a butcher would use the torch as his first option. If you have a half decent air hammer, you can punch out the race, no need to use heat. and how are you suppoed to install the new bearing with the c-clip still in the groove?

I doubt you have changed a wheel bearing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

and I doubt you ever learned the basics of reading comprehension

seeing as he said to first REMOVE the circlip, and CUT the race off, press the new bearing in and THEN install the circlip.

right on hot shot
Old 04-17-2007, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wheel Bearings...replacing, do I need to buy the CIRCLIP also? (GhostAccord)

Wow, wasnt expecting this thread to be on page one still. I wasnt trying to give step by step removal instructions just got the feeling from the orginal post that he was going to try and do it himself and was trying to inform him that it can be difficult to do.

As for removing the race from the hub after the hub is removed. Ideal way is to remove it with the press however it can be tough to get the bearing clamp to bite onto the race. Cutting small grooves into the race for the clamp to grip on helps alot, thus why i used the word cut. Anyway, i know now that i need to write between the lines around here.