Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Oil in spark plug wells and white smoke

Old 02-16-2013, 02:38 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in spark plug wells and white smoke

Alright, so today I was doing some overdue maintenance on my car (oil change, spark plugs, and even the trans fluid). When I was changing the spark plugs, all 4 of them had oil in the wells, on both the ceramic portions and the part with the electrode. I went ahead and replaced them with new ones anyways. After I was finished with everything, for the first time ever when I started the car some white smoke came out of the exhaust for about 3-4 seconds. After that, it drove well smoke-free and it didn't happen again, even after I turned it off and on a few minutes later.

Would the white smoke be because some of the oil in the wells fell into the cylinders when I replaced the spark plugs (but the electrode also had oil, so it doesn't make sense)? Should I be worried about any of this?

Last edited by Peteypablo17; 02-16-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:09 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Oil in spark plug wells and white smoke

Anyone? Anyone kno what I'm talking bout round her?
Old 02-16-2013, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 66 Posts

Yes the smoke is probably a result of the oil dripping into the combustion chamber. However, if it was truly pure white and not grey/blue you could have coolant entering your combustion chamber as well.

White smoke = coolant issue
Grey/Blue = oil issue
Black = fuel issue

As far as the oil on the electrode end of the spark plugs...when was the last time you changed them? Are you sure it was oil and not fuel?

Check your new plugs after driving around for a while, see what they tell you!
Old 02-16-2013, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Need to replace your valve cover gaskets/seals.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:49 PM
Trial User

You're probably right leflore, it's just what I didn't want to hear since I've never changed gasket or seals before. But I did find a good video on Youtube by Ericthecarguy on changing the gaskets/seals. I'll decide soon whether I'm up for it myself or if I should send it in. Thanks
Old 02-16-2013, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Peteypablo17
You're probably right leflore, it's just what I didn't want to hear since I've never changed gasket or seals before. But I did find a good video on Youtube by Ericthecarguy on changing the gaskets/seals. I'll decide soon whether I'm up for it myself or if I should send it in. Thanks
Its simple, and EricTheCarGuy is an excellent mechanic. You just unbolt the rocker cover and replace the gasket, nothing complicated it just peels off.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup it's easy and I am a terrible mechanic. Remember to mark your spark plug wires so you can remember the sequence. You may have to tap on the cover with a rubber mallet if has not ever been changed. Rubber gasket and 4 o- rings for spark plugs. Don't over tighten bolts when you put it back on.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 66 Posts

What year and model is your Accord?

If you have the non VTEC version there are 2 sets of spark plug tube seals that should be changed. 4 cover gaskets and 4 o-rings. The 4 lower O-rings require the removal of the entire rocker arm assembly as well. If you have the VTEC version there are only the 4 upper seals. Easy to do!

The Non VTEC F22B2 engines spark plug tube seals are a bit more involved and time consuming to do all 8. However, that being said, it's still not hard if you take your time. Having a Shop manual on hand and watching the ETCG video a few times will help you before you start.

The one piece of advice I can give, if you do have the F22B2 Non VTEC is... Do not completely remove the rocker arm assembly bolts from the unit. Back them all the way out of the threaded holes and leave them standing in the rocker arm assembly holes. Then pull the assembly and bolts out all as one. The bolts act as locking keys for the rocker shafts, if you remove the bolts all of the rocker arms and their associated springs and parts will fall to the ground. If you have the VTEC engine no worries!