Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

What in God's name is the trick to install a dust boot

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What in God's name is the trick to install a dust boot

For the 94 Accord Ex, I looked at the archives and could not find anything about installing a dust boot on a brake caliper piston. I got the old boot off, easily enough. It seems like the larger diameter inner male lip has to go into the female groove first, but then how do you get the inner smaller diameter of the donut up over the piston? The slightest bit of pulling on the rubber pulls the inner ring out of the groove. This isn't a no brainer, but there must be some trick to it. Oh, and putting the small lip on the outer end of the piston, forget trying to get that large lip past the tiny clearance space between the piston and the female groove, impossible. No local Honda tech has ever been successful at doing it, according to the Honda service manager. Dealership has no clue how to do it. Said they tried but now just replace the caliper. Found a local independent tech that says he does it. He said you have to remove the piston to get the old boot off, and then reverse the procedure, but stopped short of telling me anything more. So, that's where I'm stuck.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:09 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: What in God's name is the trick to install a dust boot

From doing a search........

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/replacing-rear-caliper-dust-boot-2675698/

So yes, remove the piston is the easier way, but you could jam it down in there too.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
From doing a search........
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2675698So yes, remove the piston is the easier way, but you could jam it down in there too.
Oh, yeah, I seen that. Its absurd. We tried it, no go whatsoever. I'm thinking there must be different types of designs that they are referring to. People talk about this like it is a piece of cake, BUT I found out that they are all referring to an external design outer lip, some have circlips holding them in place. I agree those are easy. This is not easy.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See if this will help you. Lubing the components will help a lot.

http://www.performanceforum.com/wesv...s/rebuild.html
Old 10-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also see this. This guy said to use a dull screwdriver or plastic shim and lubing the rubber.

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/caliper_rebuild.html
Old 10-29-2010, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, thank you H-T members. I seem to have got the boot in. I forced it in but I would have preferred to put the inner lip in first and then find a way to slide the boot over the piston.

Last edited by regnevazota; 10-30-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Had to bleed that circuit (LR, RF), after finishing the job.

Got a tool question about doing this job. The fsm says put rubber grease on the lips of the boot get the inner lip in place and screw in the piston. I tried that way first, but the center of the rubber boot gets squeezed in between the cylinder bore and the piston. The local honda dealership said their techs just replace the caliper, because the job is too frustrating. I cant picture a tech forcing the edge of the lip in because it is time consuming although in the end that is how I did it. I must have gotten lucky because I couldnt even see what I was doing. Someone told me that they bet the factory uses a special tool. The special tool at the website you mentioned makes sense to me. When I was in the middle of the job I wondered if there were any boot spreading tools available. I spent a long time doing this job. It should not have been more than an hour or two. I really didnt like the way I had to force the lip in place. What do you guys think, is the fsm for this job missing info, kinda like a big typo, that leaves out info? Usually the fsms are very reliable and far more accurate than generic texts but something seems to be missing for this work.

Last edited by regnevazota; 10-31-2010 at 05:56 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:28 PM
Trial User

This is a little too late but i worl for a manufacturing company that makes fully built calipers. The trick with installing piston boots is to install your boot before the piston is in place. Every type of caliper here is built that way. Add some grease to the lio of the boot, if you have a boot groove put the lip in it on one side and pinch the boot in the piston bore and then run your finer along the groove until the boot is in place. Run your finger around the lip when you are done to make sure it is completely in place. After that put you piston in the center of the boot and gently lift up on the inner rim of the boot to get your piston started. Put some brake fluid on the bottom sides of the piston to help ease it in. Make sure you get the rim around the groove of your piston so that it seats evenly. We are able to push the piston in with our hands once it is in place. But luckily we have machines to manually do it. I hope that helps!