Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

What to do? Check Engine Light / Code P1259

Old 12-19-2010, 07:25 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What to do? Check Engine Light / Code P1259

98 Odyssey, CEL came on, stopped safely within 5 miles, Oil light came on as I stopped, and smoke from enging. Oil spray on complete undercarriage, from near oil filter. Turns out the oil filter goes onto the oil cooler adapter. The adapter o-ring to the engine block blew out, relatively cheap repair. But CEL was still on. P1259, Auto Zone shows 1- open or short circuit condition, 2- VTEC solenoid valve fault 3-VTEC pressure switch fault 4- blocked oil passage.
As the light came on first, could the repair have cleared the problem and should I return to AZ and clear the code? Or should I get it to the dealer, who I deliver parts to daily and know them reasonably well, and get them to look at it?
Old 04-21-2011, 06:51 AM
Trial User

I have a 98 Honda Accord LX with VTEC. I have had this problem for years. Ultimately, it is because my car is almost out of oil. There are 232,000 miles on the car and it burns oil so if I don't add a quart or oil every now and then the check engine light comes on and I will also notice acceleration problems and erratic idling. After I refill the oil and start the car about 3 or 4 times, the light goes off and all is well until I forget to check the oil again and let it get low. This problem has been going on since there were about 140,000 miles on the car and I have never had to replace a part to clear the code so far. Hope this helps!
Old 12-09-2011, 07:21 PM
Trial User

for a 2004 Acura 2.0L RSX-S coupe: need someone's help. (can't figure how to make a new post.) changed the Knocked sensor for a friend and than a P1259 code appear. already checked to oil level and it was good. what could be the possible causes?
Old 01-27-2013, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Since last summer the light has been coming on and going off. Never stayed on for more than a few days and has stayed off for a week or longer. In two instances accelerating past 4000 rpm caused the hiccup but in other times everything is fine

I also think my gas mileage is getting lower but other than that and the two incidents the car runs great. Has about 105K miles What to do????
Old 03-13-2013, 06:58 AM
Trial User

If you are having experiencing this code after someone did repairs on your car. You may want to look at the plug in to the coolant temp sensor and the vtec oil pressure switch. They are the same except the cts is grey and the vtecps is green. If reversed the problem will occur.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jfoster)

Originally Posted by jfoster
Fixed.

I cleared the code to see when it would come back. Generally if it comes on at idle or under 4000rpms it electrical .... as in the Vtec pressure sensor is bad, it has a bad connection, or a damaged wire ; at or over 4000rpms its usually oil pressure related.... as in low oil level, clogged screen, or the Vtec solenoid has gone bad, etc.

Well after clearing the code two or three times it would throw the CEL with the key in the on position with the engine off ... so I concluded it must be electrical and suspected the Vtec pressure sensor...

I removed the sensor and priced a replacement through AZ and it was $80 and special order ... so I cleaned (and accidentally dropped ) the sensor to replace it just so the car would be driveable until I could get another sensor.

But when I replaced the sensor and reconnected the battery cable the code did not come back I drove it and it now accelerates above 4000rpms which it wouldn't with the CEL

Hope this helps someone else with a P1259 code.
I went through a series of tests and concluded my Oil Pressure Switch in the VTEC system was bad and replaced it with success.

Bottom line is when the light comes on at start up and then goes off later the switch is the culprit assuming your motor has oil.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:04 AM
Trial User

Default Re: What to do? Check Engine Light / Code P1259 (jfoster)

Originally Posted by P_Adams
Well, first off I'd ask if you've a Vtec or not (You didn't specify)

P1259 comes up as a "Vtec System Malfunction" in my manual as well.

Does the car have a starter "Immobilizer" as part of a factory alarm
?

P
my obd scanners sayin varieble valve timeing sens,03 1.7 v tech.is that the sens.next to timeing belt?
Old 07-18-2014, 04:53 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Dean Hughes
If you are having experiencing this code after someone did repairs on your car. You may want to look at the plug in to the coolant temp sensor and the vtec oil pressure switch. They are the same except the cts is grey and the vtecps is green. If reversed the problem will occur.
I registered to this forum just to reply to this post.....

I had the 1259 after a transmission change and had indeed switched the connectors for the coolant temp and vtec control. GREEN connector goes to vtec, GRAY goes to Coolant temp sensor.

Thank you Dean Hughes
Old 03-18-2015, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jfoster)

Originally Posted by hondadude
If they use Quaker State there is a good chance the Sludge from that $hit oil has plugged up the screen in the Vtec solenoid. I'd have to guess they want to have a dead engine ASAP if they are putting that crap in the engine. I wouldn't put Quaker State in my lawnmower.
What's the best brand oil to put in our cars
Old 01-19-2016, 01:23 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (P_Adams)

It is a 4 door ... but I am 90% sure its an EX.

I'll ask next time they call to be sure.

I'm not wanting to drive down there until I have a firm idea of what the problem is. Just wanna get there, fix it, leave
Hey man it could just be low oil pressusre if not youll have to order a new peice im having the same problem
Old 02-09-2022, 06:46 AM
Trial User

Well, my inlaws have an '00 Accord. Yesterday after they had the oil changed they got a CEL and called me. I had them check the oil, and they said it was fine. So I told them to take it over to Auto Zone and get the code read and I would try to come down and deal with it asap.

So they called me tonight and said that Auto Zone told them its:

" Code P1259 ; Imobilizer to PCM signal error "

But I show P1259 as being the code for Vtec System Malfunction .... ???

So basically what should I do to find the actual problem / fix it / get rid of the CEL ??

Thanks
MY 2000 Honda Accord started hesitating alot yesterday while driving and then I saw the check engine light on thankfully AutoZone was a min away so I was able to get there and have them read the CEL. It came back as a p1259 " VTEC System malfunction" I did research on it and found out that the vtec needs the right amount oil pressure. I said hmmm 🤔 checked my oil and it wasn't even registering on the dip stick I was like WTF! To make a long story short I I added nearly 2.5 quarts and reset the computer and it's been almost 60 miles since then and it still hasn't came on.