Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

What can I do to make my 98 accord faster?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 What can I do to make my 98 accord faster?

I have a 98 accord with headers and a double exit exhaust. I want to make it look better and drive way faster. What exterior work should I get done? Also what should I do to the parts itself? I'm aware I can turbo boost it but thats around $1000 and i don't want to spend that if I do not need to. Thanks
Old 02-05-2019, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Re: What can I do to make my 98 accord faster?

Originally Posted by Tuckerpaw
I have a 98 accord... I want to make it look better... What exterior work should I get done?
subjective. if you need to ask, don't bother doing anything. if you know what you want just not how to make it happen - from a technical stand point or affordability stand point or even where to buy, then asks specifics accordingly.

I have a 98 accord with headers and a double exit exhaust
so V6 automatic?

...I want to make it... drive way faster... what should I do to the parts itself?
keep plenty of spares around. you're going to break stuff. par for the course. also nitrous.

I'm aware I can turbo boost it but thats around $1000 and i don't want to spend that if I do not need to.
... oh. it occurs to me that you're either trolling or you need to pick a different hobby. you want to go fast for less $1000 drive it off a cliff.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:05 PM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 98 accord with headers and a double exit exhaust. I want to make it look better and drive way faster. What exterior work should I get done? Also what should I do to the parts itself? I'm aware I can turbo boost it but thats around $1000 and i don't want to spend that if I do not need to. Thanks
If $1000 is too much then you're better off just enjoying it for what it is and doing routine maintenance on it.

$1k for a turbo setup would be on the cheap side, like way cheap. A single dyno-tuning session for one of my cars was $400. That's just for the tune, that's not any of the parts or labor.

Your car is known to have bad transmissions so it won't take much additional power before slipping and failing. There's no 'exterior work' that is going to make it faster except maybe some lighter wheels and better tires. Despite what the Fast and Furious has told you, neons, stickers, and aftermarket headlights do not add value nor do they add performance.

Spend your money and time on doing maintenance. When was the timing belt last done? When did you change the air filters (cabin and engine)? When did you change the oil? When did you change the transmission fluid? When did you change the spark plugs? Are there any worn out suspension components? etc
Old 02-06-2019, 03:58 AM
Trial User

tucker paw made a great point no exterior stuff im not sure how all the carbon fiber really helps but heard its to think about. maybe cold air, upping you're plugs injection throttle body thingss like that if the tranny is a known issue look into an aftermarket to avoid that issue. im in the same boat though i have a new civic old new to me and just startin.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you man im sorta illiterate when it comes to cars lmao
Old 02-06-2019, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the forum gods have spoken.

ps, not trolling.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:10 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Frankfather
tucker paw made a great point no exterior stuff im not sure how all the carbon fiber really helps but heard its to think about. maybe cold air, upping you're plugs injection throttle body thingss like that if the tranny is a known issue look into an aftermarket to avoid that issue. im in the same boat though i have a new civic old new to me and just startin.
"Cold air" intake? Honestly waste of money and you're doing it for cool points and some noise

"Upping you're plugs" ? No idea what this even means

" injection throttle body" ? Again, really not sure what you mean. Bore out the TB? If you're not also going to port match the intake manifold it's mostly a waste of time and little to no horsepower is going to come from it.

"tranny is a known issue look into an aftermarket " - An aftermarket transmission for a '98 Accord V6 ? Doesn't exist
Old 02-08-2019, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Assuming your car is a V6 model, the answer to your question is, "Pretty much nothing".