Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/)
-   -   weird weird overheating problem:(??? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/weird-weird-overheating-problem-1078436/)

Wild_Dima 12-07-2004 03:25 PM

weird weird overheating problem on a 90 accord:(???

k i've noticed that my car overheats when i was driving on the highway at like 180, even by the time i reached the speed the needle started to go up so i come to the mechanic and he said my rad is gone, so i change my rad, hoses, thermostat and headgasket...then i go for a drive and the needle goes up to like 3/4 i was like wtf, though when i give it gas the temp goes down for a few sec and if i still keep on giving gas it goes back even higher...so i flush it again just in case, nothing helped...took it back to the mechanic and he said there's some pressure building up but he's not sure y so i take my car cause i need it for couple of days and i drive for a whole hour and the temp was normal but then i get home and the needle goes back up again...this is some weird ass shit....i was thinking honda dealer might know more about wtf is wrong but the mechanix that i go to he specializes in honda's...i was thinking of getting a new motor but i don't have the money at the moment..wtf is the problem?????

shadow_ridge 12-07-2004 03:29 PM

Re: weird weird overheating problem on a 90 accord:(??? (Wild_Dima)

water pump,temp sensor? might be a start

by the way 180?? how? just wondering? the fastest i have been is 120 on a old country road

LookingForVTEC 12-07-2004 03:40 PM

might be a dieing water pump?? just a thought. My brother's prelude use to run a little hot before he got the timing belt and water pump changed. (180 are you talking about km/h or mi/h)

sj993 12-07-2004 03:44 PM

Re: weird weird overheating problem on a 90 accord:(??? (LookingForVTEC)

Toronto...180 KPH.

porter843 12-07-2004 03:53 PM

Re: weird weird overheating problem on a 90 accord:(??? (sj993)

I would check the Water Pump as the others were mentioning. I just had the same type of problem and the water pump impeller was eaten up, mine was just old. 230,000 miles. Still driving 112 MPH for a long period is hard to do.

Wild_Dima 12-07-2004 04:04 PM

Re: weird weird overheating problem on a 90 accord:(??? (porter843)

but there's a build up of pressure so how can a weak water pump cause that?

shadow_ridge 12-07-2004 05:22 PM

cloged block?

Wild_Dima 12-07-2004 05:28 PM

Re: weird weird overheating problem on a 90 accord:(??? (shadow_ridge)

u mean manifold?

bicho 12-07-2004 06:32 PM

make sure you bleed the system. I replaced my thermostat once and forgot to bleed the system. It ran like crap until I did it. The screw is near the thermostat housing

merinor80 12-07-2004 06:43 PM

first, are the fans coming on.
have you check the fuses.
change the radiator cap.

merinor80 12-07-2004 06:48 PM

what about the coolant temperature sensor?

Wild_Dima 12-07-2004 07:09 PM

Re: weird weird overheating problem on a 90 accord:(??? (merinor80)

i gave it to mechanic to do everything, he's a very good mechanic and specifies in hondas, like he said there's PRESSURE building up but he doesn't know y, so i' massuming he does know it's not the temp sensor or the cap knowing it came with the rad...i was thinking it's clogged manifold but he said to bring the car back to him..if he won't find out what's wrong in an hr i'll just wait till i get the new engine which will be in january

merinor80 12-07-2004 07:23 PM

changing the engine won't get rid of the overheating problem.

Wild_Dima 12-07-2004 07:31 PM

so ur saying u know what the problem is then

booja 12-07-2004 07:34 PM

check:

radiator
fan
waterpump,
lines and hoses
temp sensor, thermostat
check your head
head gasket
coolant level

Wild_Dima 12-07-2004 07:38 PM

Re: (booja)

radiator-checked
fan-checked
waterpump-pressure build up not pressure lose
lines and hoses-new
temp sensor, thermostat-checked
head gasket-new engine will help, no need to waste money on old shit
coolant level-checked

sj993 12-07-2004 07:39 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by merinor80 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">changing the engine won't get rid of the overheating problem.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

How would a new engine not solve the problem?

merinor80 12-07-2004 07:43 PM

Re: weird weird overheating problem on a 90 accord:(??? (sj993)

Example: you buy a new engine, but radiator is bad. Your car is still going to overheat.
Or maybe the fans are not coming on when they supposed to. I bought 2 stock radiators and my car overheated. I bought a fluydine and it's fixed.l

Wild_Dima 12-07-2004 08:45 PM

the fans are ALWAYS on, thats the way i made it so it never overheats but yeah it could be the rad u never know but what r the chances, very slim and i have a descent rad, better than stock, u know those aluminum with plastic or something like that...it did happen when i changed the rad but u know, fuck..gotta go through so much trouble to change the rad again, i guess u could try..well i could get a new engine cause i wanted one anyways and then see if that fixees the problem and if not then it could be the rad

porter843 12-10-2004 12:45 PM

I know you said you checked all of this stuff. Mine did the same thing until the water pump was changed out. I know that there is a build up of pressure, my car did too. Since the cooling system is a closed system and heat is being introduced into it, then the subsequent pressure buildup is inevitable. No heat exchange due to no flow, and what would appear to be a boilover. All because the waterpump was bad. Don't take my word for it though.

Wild_Dima 12-10-2004 08:38 PM

Re: weird weird overheating problem on a 90 accord:(??? (porter843)

fuck..i got it back from mechanic and it wasn't overheating, only when i go on a highway over 110 it started to overheat just a little, to the middle mark but not like before...this shit makes no sense..there's no pattern to it...FUCK

Wild_Dima 01-03-2005 04:07 PM

k the problem went away for like a month or 2 but now it's back...so could it still be the water pump...i got more info though...at very high rpm (5000) the temp drops to normal but overheats again in a min or so...on the highway the needle is 2/3 of the way up until i put it in neutral that's when the needle goes to 4/5 of the way up which is the temp when i'm driving in the city...any more help would be appreciate, i dunno whether i should get my fucking water pump replaced if i do though and it won;t work at least i won't have to worry about it later and i am replacing thermostat to see if that's the problem

Wild_Dima 01-04-2005 12:24 PM

no one?https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emsad.gif

Wild_Dima 01-04-2005 05:03 PM

k i replaced the thermostat but the freaking mechanic thought one of the wires was connected wrong and rewired it properly but it was connected so that the fan is always on but after he rewired it the fan doesn't turn on anymore at all though the problem is exactly the same as before when the fan was always on...and i don't have a/c, may be cause the other fan doesn't turn on at all but still the car shouldn't overheat when it's idleing or driving..any help please...this problem is driving me nuts...and yeah the rad is brand new, honda thermostat just put in, the head gasket is good...i dunno if i had the fan on would it help or not cause it's the identical problem i had before when the fan was working

Wild_Dima 01-04-2005 08:19 PM

k if the engine is overheating exactly the same when the fan was working and when the fan wasn't working does it mean the problem is with the fan????

ps...engine was overheating when the fan was working but now seens it's not working anymore it still overheating the same way as before