Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

waterpump problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default waterpump problem?

there is heat constantly in my 91 accord even with the **** turned off...so i changed the thermostat hoping that would solve the problem believing that it was stuck open. put a new one in an went to bleed it with the radiator cap off so it could self bleed like i always do and i was waiting for the fan to go on for about 40 minutes and it didn't. did this method last time i changed the thermostat and it worked. put the cap back on and went for a 10 minute ride and then took the cap off again and filled what i had splashed out. it appears that the coolant level isn't moving and is staying still and not circulating. the lower radiator hose remains cold and the top on is hot. the car isn't overheating or leaking coolant...though isn't that symptoms of a water pump. usually when i shut the car off the fan goes on as it sits there and that doesn't happen anymore either. am i doing something wrong or is the pump bad because it doesn't look like its circulating?
Old 12-12-2008, 03:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure the new T-stat was installed correctly?

FWIW, the T-stat will not cause the interior heating problem.....that would be a heater core valve or stripped off control ****.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondadude
Are you sure the new T-stat was installed correctly?

FWIW, the T-stat will not cause the interior heating problem.....that would be a heater core valve or stripped off control ****.

what does FWIW stand for? yes the thermostat was installed correctly. lined up the 2 nipples on the new gasket and fit right in there. the know control works when i change the numbers from 1-4, its just when it on "off" there is still constant heat coming out that i cant control. what could the fan problem be?
Old 12-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

FWIW = For What It's Worth.

The most common problem on Honda's for problems involving Heater/A.C tempurature regulation is the HWCV (Hot Water Control Valve) mounted on the firewall (engine side). It corrodes in one position and often requires replacement. The colateral damage from the HWCV failure can be more problamatic (however). There are two Push/Pull cables which operate both the tempurature blend door and the HWCV. When the valve siezes, one (or both) of these cables kink / bend; often breaking the temp control ****.
You MAY be able to reach the valve and manually open it for the time being (so you've got heat for the winter). That will allow you to buy time and plan what you need to do here.

P
Old 12-13-2008, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i will check that valve and see if its moving. i have that problem on my 94 accord and have to do it manually. there is definitely heat though so could that be the problem though? it was so hot that you could almost melt someone haha. why wouldn't the fan kick on anymore?