Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/)
-   -   VAFC wiring questions (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/vafc-wiring-questions-3364154/)

95DownLo 06-07-2022 06:46 AM

VAFC wiring questions

So, Im rebuilding an older car, and trying to fix some issues Part of the cluster of drama and hatred has been wiring. Im trying to finish wiring a vafc and there are no definitive maps for the ecu wires with exact function. ineed
Rpm signal (ive heard blue b12)
throttle signal
vtc cam signal
tdc signal
vtm signal
pressure signal Im guessing vtec

Can anyone point me in the right direction. Im sure someone somewhere has done a vafc
i have a 95 accord vtec sohc 5 spd

danteisme 06-07-2022 07:14 AM

Re: VAFC wiring questions

I have some printouts at home, not sure if any of them will be the right one but i can check when i get off work.

95DownLo 06-07-2022 09:46 AM

thanks much appreciated

danteisme 06-08-2022 04:17 AM

I couldnt find my manual, but this is the one i downloaded and printed years ago. Do you have the manual? It has typical ECU pin layouts a few pages in.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/62...?page=1#manual

Aradin 06-08-2022 02:17 PM

Take that antiquated relic and throw it in the garbage. Won't do anything of value to a stock economy VTEC single cam.

nus_dogg 06-12-2022 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Aradin (Post 52590539)
Take that antiquated relic and throw it in the garbage. Won't do anything of value to a stock economy VTEC single cam.

Agree. VAFC is pretty old school.

Now days, anyone can get their hands on a OBD1 chipped ECU tuned to their setup for optimal and running performance. But if you're bone stock with simple bolt-ons, don't waste your money. Just drive.

nicolaselias 06-12-2022 02:12 PM

I can't help you with the wiring, but I will say that if you already own the VAFC get it installed and get the vehicle tuned. Won't make any big difference to power or anything, but if you already own it get it done.

Sure a standalone ECU is better but those guys saying to throw it in the garbage etc etc etc are missing the point..

Aradin 06-12-2022 05:29 PM

There is no point. It's a waste of time and resources on a stock single cam F series. The main purpose of VTEC on those engines is to open the second intake valve, which has already been optimized by Honda.

Even if it were a modified engine/DOHC/otherwise that would actually benefit from modifying fueling or VTEC engagement, there are way better solutions available.

nicolaselias 06-13-2022 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Aradin (Post 52592022)
There is no point. It's a waste of time and resources on a stock single cam F series. The main purpose of VTEC on those engines is to open the second intake valve, which has already been optimized by Honda.

Even if it were a modified engine/DOHC/otherwise that would actually benefit from modifying fueling or VTEC engagement, there are way better solutions available.

I had a question about this actually. I don't have VTEC on my F series, so I would love as much technical info as I can about how it works.

I thought that the VTEC activating the second intake valve was a D series (3 stage VTEC) thing. I always assumed VTEC in the SOHC F series was to do with duration/lift. As in, when in VTEC it would switch to a larger cam lobe for a little more power, but I could be TOTALLY wrong, like I said, I am SOHC non-vtec.

Please let me know more

Aradin 06-13-2022 11:57 AM

In the single cam VTEC F series, it's both but they are not operated independently like a 3-stage. You get a small amount of additional lift and duration when the second intake valve opens. It engages as low as 2300rpm and the engine will fall completely flat on it's face after ~3000rpm without it engaging.

danteisme 06-13-2022 12:16 PM

I used the VAFC on my GSR for years, mainly because I upgraded to CTR cams and needed to remain OBD2 compliant. It is an antiquated piece of equipment, but I will probably keep mine with my new setup. I will set it all back to stock settings so no modifications are in the unit and just run it as another set of aux gauges.

nicolaselias 06-13-2022 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Aradin (Post 52592389)
In the single cam VTEC F series, it's both but they are not operated independently like a 3-stage. You get a small amount of additional lift and duration when the second intake valve opens. It engages as low as 2300rpm and the engine will fall completely flat on it's face after ~3000rpm without it engaging.

Very enlightening, thanks for explaining.

I've had 3 hondas now and my only one with VTEC is a K20A with i-vtec.

95DownLo 06-18-2022 11:55 AM

I appreciate all the feedback. Throwing it in the garbage isnt an option I dont have any delusions of great power. Im rebuilding a car from days past as an homage. So the VAFC needs to go in. Im just struggling with a few wires and getting it finalized. Its not going to be any faster than it was before it. I dont have high hp dreams Im just recreating a car. so. my struggle is where to tap for

vtc cam signal
vtm signal a
and what pressure are they talking about pressure signal input and output not sure if its oil pressure or vtec pressure

tech8 06-18-2022 02:07 PM

Looking at their installation manual and tying into the circuit diagrams, this would be the pin-out.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...be55c23189.jpg