Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Unsolved Rattling

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unsolved Rattling

Hello,

I've been using this forum for information for a long time and just now registered. I want to say think you everyone on this forum for the information I have attained. I should have registered earlier but was lazy. Now, I'm stuck. I have an annoying rattling problem coming from the front drivers side of my 96 Accord DX.

Here's what has been replaced (not for this issue)
- Front end shocks/struts <6mo
- Front end upper control arms <2 years
- Front DS upper and lower ball joints <1 year
- Front PS upper ball joint <2 years
- Front DS CV axle <6 mo
- Front end wheel hubs/rotors/bearings <6 mo
- Front end inner/outer tie rods + rack boots <1 year

Issue: Annoying, medium sounding rattling/clunking coming from the front DS. Only on large bumps when driving >20mph. On small sequential bumps while <20mph, turning slow and during braking. Just started this winter. When covered in slush/ice it is worse but still exists when dry.

I recently had the car on a rack to look at an exhaust problem. I checked everything on the front end suspension/steering at this time. All tight. One thing I noticed was that the sway bar end links were intact; however, where the sway bar attaches (between the bushings) was on an angle not flat down. I think I remember this being securely smashed between the bushings earlier when I changed the tie rods, but I can't be sure. I grabbed the sway bar but couldn't move it. I mean, not even .001" of play. The passenger side was bad too but, not as bad and I get no rattling from the PS. I ordered the links and bushings anyways and I fear this won't solve the problem. This is very annoying and the only way to cover it up is by turning the stereo up loud. I can also feel it through the DS floorboard.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Zach
Old 02-05-2015, 07:06 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Unsolved Rattling

The lower control arms have bushings that become soft over time. It's possible they look fine but when going over bumps the through bolt bangs against the metal. It's possible the driver side mount is bad. It's possible the sway bar bushings are soft as well.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd inspect all rubber in the suspension.

That sway bar is supposed to mount level through the bushings and securely clamped between the bushings, like you thought. Not so tight the bushings are deformed, although I don't think you can strap them down that tight.

Were the top mounts replaced when the shocks/struts were replaced? I've replaced the struts and not the top mounts and ended up having the same symptoms and had to replace the the whole assembly again.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could it be the sway bar binding in its bushing, and as it 'releases' and moves you hear it as that clunking? Try disconnecting both sway bar links so it won't move and test drive.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought the monroe quick struts so it came with everything as one unit. I didnt think of disconnecting the sway bar. Darn it. I bought the links/bushings so I might as well just install them and see if the noise goes away. It appears to be getting worse because the roads are all snow and there are 1000's of bumps. Its driving me nuts
Old 02-18-2015, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ZachS
I bought the monroe quick struts so it came with everything as one unit. I didnt think of disconnecting the sway bar. Darn it. I bought the links/bushings so I might as well just install them and see if the noise goes away. It appears to be getting worse because the roads are all snow and there are 1000's of bumps. Its driving me nuts
nonononono, don't ever just 'install parts'. Before you put the new links and bushings in, and cannot take them back, just remove all four end links on the car and go for a test drive. If the noise persists, then you can return the parts and look elsewhere.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I found the noise. This is now solved. When I installed the inner tie rod ends I never bent over the locking tab and it came loose a thread. There was no side to side play but there was a forward play (pushing and pulling). I thought the torque I put on them would hold. Turns out it does not. Bend your locking tabs!

I replaced the sway bar links and bushings anyways. If they weren't broken they would have been soon. 20$ for prothane and 15$ for moog bushings was money well spent.