Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Transmission whine, slips 95 Accord 2.2 auto

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 10:15 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Transmission whine, slips 95 Accord 2.2 auto

Originally Posted by djaerich
I did pour atf into the TC before installing but not quite a quart. It was drinking slowly so I had to pour it in segments. Also installed a new green o-ring and the spacer ring that came with the superior kit. I guess it keep the bearing from walking.

Thanks!
good deal
Old 04-16-2018, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking about adding a trans cooler as well. This is also new territory for me.

Quick question,
Do I bypass the radiator altogether and have just an aftermarket cooler or allow it to run through the original radiator and also through an aftermarket cooler?

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2018, 07:32 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Since you had no major problems other than filter issues I would avoid installing it but if I was going to I would install it after the stock radiator because the radiator is kept within a certain range of cooling you would want it after that to get more effective cooling possibility.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

woohoo! glad to hear the rebuild went well - that's a big deal for sure. How many hours you think you had in the rebuild?
Old 04-17-2018, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, here's another update. I installed a magnafine filter on the return line. Here's a pic of it. Now, I'm not sure what's going on but I'm having a hell of a time getting the atf levels correct. I ran the engine for 15 min, drove it around the block and got into all gears and then filled the atf to the middle of the dipstick sweet spot. Then I drove it around for another 10 min and when I got back, the atf levels were reading off the charts. Way over the max fill line. I also noticed a bit of a whine which was easiest to hear sticking your head into the passenger wheel well. What's the trick here? I thought I was doing it correctly but all of the sudden, I have too much atf? And why the hell would my atf cooling send line (black) be hotter than my return line (brass)? Confused...

Old 04-18-2018, 02:26 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

in theory, assuming the cooler is working correctly, the return should be cooler than the transmit line

keep in mind that the system expands as it warms up so the fill line will rise as the car warms up, so drain it and fill up to the min line, then drive around for about a half hour and then check and it should rise to the middle line and I like to keep mine at the middle line because if you drive it really hard in the summer it will rise up to the upper line but not go over it
Old 01-09-2020, 11:54 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by josh4trunks
So I screwed up badly =[
I had my drill's torque setting low, it kept getting stuck so I increased it, and started pushing too hard. [b]I made a hole, the size of a large grain of rice in my transmission filter.
It is hard to see in the picture I took, but I can see it fairly clearly with my eye.

I continued with the project, tapped the hole, filled it with RTV, plugged it. I am going to let it dry, and fill with ATF tomorrow.
Should I even continue to try driving this car or is my transmission done for and needs to be replaced? I was hoping to get another 1-2 years of life out of this car, but am willing to cut my losses if it is a safety hazard.

Thank you
Did anyone answer this? I did this too and want to know if it will be fine and just not filter as good? Is it only a metal mesh filter or cotton underneath the mesh? Will the cotton come out and possibly clog the trans? Thanks.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:38 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

It's a metal mesh screen. No filtration material behind it.
Fluid pumps through the transmission then goes through the cooler, before it is discharged on top of the differential, where it then drains to the sump.
Old 01-18-2021, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello. I was losing hope for my current situation until I came across this thread. Thanks for everyone that has shared their experiences here with fixing the Honda Design flaw. I have a few questions hopefully someone will be able to help.

I drive A 2002 Honda civic EX coupe 1.7 BMXA Auto. trans
The other day I started my car and there was a horrible whine coming from my transmission. I have cleared or checked all of these so annoyed that I could access and they were all fine but I was hoping to gather some information in regards to where exactly on my specific transmission I could drill an access point to be able to spray bleach cleaner to hopefully fix the sound and most certainly clogged filter that otherwise will have to be accessed by dropping the transmission and splitting it apart. I guess this is kind of a last ditch effort for me to fix the noise because I can tell even though I don’t have any shifting issues yet something is bound to happen because obviously the sound is occurring due to vital components not working properly.