Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

bad fuel pump ?

Old 02-06-2009, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bad fuel pump ?

I have been wodering if i might have a bad fuel pump ? When my car has one quarter of gas left the car would struggle to turn on, why could this be ? If i add gas to it then it turns on right away. Should i do a tune-up first and try it out or is it deffinetly the fuel pump that needs to be replaced ?
Old 02-06-2009, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: bad fuel pump ?

If it's the fuel pump, you should be able to hear it. It's an annoying whining noise coming from around one of the rear wheels. If you can't hear the pump struggling, then try changing your fuel filter.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by boostedhks
I have been wodering if i might have a bad fuel pump ? When my car has one quarter of gas left the car would struggle to turn on, why could this be ? If i add gas to it then it turns on right away. Should i do a tune-up first and try it out or is it deffinetly the fuel pump that needs to be replaced ?
You're talking about the last 4 gallons of usable fuel in the tank when this happens.
If it drops furthur that this, does it not start altogether?
Has there ever been an incident where the tank ran dry? (Ran out of gas?)
Does this happen only when first started cold, or any time?

P
Old 02-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually it only happened to me once. The car was cold yes (i live in new england), but it turned on after several tries, then i went to the bank, the car was running at normal temp. at that time and when i get out of the bank to go home, same thing. After 8 tried it actually started. When it runs it doesn't cut gas or nothing neither, it rides like a champ but it's only that. They have told me to change my fuel filter because this might be the cause of this problem so i am going to do this tomorrow.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by boostedhks
Actually it only happened to me once. The car was cold yes (i live in new england), but it turned on after several tries, then i went to the bank, the car was running at normal temp. at that time and when i get out of the bank to go home, same thing. After 8 tried it actually started. When it runs it doesn't cut gas or nothing neither, it rides like a champ but it's only that. They have told me to change my fuel filter because this might be the cause of this problem so i am going to do this tomorrow.
If it becomes more persistant, and the car shows no inclination to stall while driving or failing to turn on, I would start suspecting the Main Relay.
This nifty Twin Relay unit controls power to both the ECM AND the Fuel Pump and has a reputation for causing problems (aging solder joints, etc).

P