Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Transmission overheating issue on 1997 Accord, is it done for?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission overheating issue on 1997 Accord, is it done for?

Hi, Recently my 1997 Accord 2.2 L VTEC, Station Wagon, 260000km has developed an issue where after a bit of driving the gear shifts would start to slip, and shortly after the car wouldn't shift up at all and would slowly decelerate to a complete stop. If I turn the engine off for about an hour, the car drives normally again, until the same issues reappear. From what I've gathered, this happens because of wear inside the transmission causing it too heat up and malfunction, and to work again once cooled down .

Some other information that might be useful:
I've recently changed the transmission fluid and the prior one was black and burnt (I didn't do a complete flush).
I get a flashing D4 code of 8 and 15 which apparently stands for "shift control solenoid B" and "NM: speed sensor"

So my questions is: Can this be a minor issue, or does all this suggest a major internal issue with the transmission? Should I try something like changing the solenoid?
Thank you for all your replies.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:56 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Re: Transmission overheating issue on 1997 Accord, is it done for?

Overheating, doubtful.
Most likely problem is if the fluid is not regularly changed gunk and junk can build up in the sump. This eventually causes blockage of the sump pickup. No flow, no go. And a whining coming from the bellhousing area.(AT pump cavitation)
Problem is the sump pickup(filter) is not readily serviceable. The case needs to be opened, only way to do this is to remove the transmission from the car, open it and replace the filter. But at this point one may as well rebuild it.
Two things you can try.
Add some Trans Tune cleaner drive around a bit then park the car at an angle with the trans drain bolt at the lowest point. Let is sit and then drain to try and pull as much junk and slurry from the pan. For now just use generic Dexron II/III that can be purchased by the gallon for cheap at the local parts store. Do this 3X. Refill, add Trans Tune, drive around, and drain. But usually it is a bit too late for this when the trans begins to slip.
The other step is to Tyler Dirden Fix.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Mike, thanks heaps for your reply.
I did what you suggested and tried the Tyler Dirden Fix. I drained the ATF and sprayed the filter through the hole I drilled, and about 1/2 a cup of ATF came out. I then did the refill and drain 3X with new ATF.
I've been driving for two days now and so far so good. The car still slips a bit but that's probably just signs of an old transmission. I'm really happy to get a bit more life from the car, or that at least I've tried to fix it before selling it for parts.
I saw that josh4trunks used the Dirden fix and it temporarily resolved his car issues that are similar to mine. I was wondering if I should regularly clear the filter to avoid more clogging.
But thanks again, and to Tyler.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:50 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Excellent.
The trans should be regularly drained and refilled. I suggest every 10-15K miles just do the three quarts in the pan to keep everything fresh and pull the gunk out.
Recheck your transmisson throttle valve cable is correctly adjusted, if it has stretched over the years it may be loose. If so this will affect how much pressure the pump puts out to the system.
You want no slack but no pretension. When the throttle begins to open the valve should begin to lift, on AT cars the throttle cable from the pedal is not directly connected to the TB there is some slack in the rotation, so you can play around a bit with both cables.
If the transmission is slipping anyway, you can try tightening up the cable a bit and see if the increased line pressure helps with the slippage.
If the shift is really more of a delay than a slip, check your shift valve screens for crud. And add some Trans Tune to aid in breaking up any varnish that may be causing the valves and clutches to stick a bit.