Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Tracking down oil leak 00 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tracking down oil leak 00 Accord

00 accord 2.3 Ex
Trying to track down an oil leak on my accord. It seems to be coming from the left side of the engine toward the rear of the engine. Trying to discern if it is the oil pan gasket of the rear crank seal. I have attached two pictures of an oil component of which I am not sure of the name. Is there anywhere else that could be causing this leak. I have replaced all of the seals in the dizzy. I noticed when I replaced my PCV valve this leak has gotten worse. Is that normal? Hoses to PCV seem good. The old PCV was most certainly bad, no shakey shakey.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AJG...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18sC...ew?usp=sharing

What is the name of that black box that attaches to trans ? Shift housing?
Old 11-28-2017, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tracking down oil leak 00 Accord

I snapped some better pictures today. Its a mess down there. After taking these pictures I used about a half can of de-greaser to clean things up.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pJD...ew?usp=sharing <---- Looks like oil droplets were forming here, not sure if the pan or rear seal could cause that
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vGA...ew?usp=sharing <------That fluid looks red almost. Transaxle leak?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VLP...ew?usp=sharing <---- Oil pan 1

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VLP...ew?usp=sharing <----- Oil pan 2

From what I see, I see a gross mess at parts of the oil pan and block. Not really sure what to make of the other crap

What do y'all think?

Last edited by Mason Edmison; 11-28-2017 at 10:44 AM. Reason: not specific enough
Old 11-28-2017, 11:56 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

are you only able to take pictures of the car at night ?
Old 11-28-2017, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, I can take a picture at night. Why?
Old 11-28-2017, 03:12 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
are you only able to take pictures of the car at night ?
lulz

I think the hood is closed, that is why the picture is so dark.

Mason, it's kind of hard to tell where the leak may be originating from.
If you have a coin-op car wash locally, or just a hose and a sprayer, get some Simple Green/409(any kind of 'green' cleaner, NOT purple power or any other 'purple' cleaners) and judiciously spray the whole engine down with the green cleaner. Let it soak in, if the engine is a bit warm even better. Then using the coin-op use the wand function on soap and blast the begesus out of the engine and get all the oil and gunk, as best you can, off the engine. It may be best to remove the undercar front splash shield to better clean the undercarriage.

Be careful of the distributor and the alternator, don't blast them directly, just wave the wand over the engine to get the goo off, don't sit in one spot and soak it.

Areas that can be causes of oil leaks that make the bottom of the car look like that.
Oil pressure switch(located above the oil filter).
Oil filter, but that usually just makes a pig mess of the oilpan.
Distributor outer O-ring or inner oil seal. This can cause an oil leak that will dribble down the backside of the engine and make ***** of the undercarriage.
VTEC solenoid, slightly behind and to the right of the Distributor. If it has a leak it can piddle down in the same area.
Cam cover gasket, this can leak at the backside and it tends to dribble down the dame corner of the block as the above mentioned components.
Axle seals on the differential. I had the inner one fail on the diff and it made a mess, worse was the ATF will soften all the roadgrime and goo, so you really need to be able to clean the bottom of the engine/trans to properly see where the leak is.
Engine RMS or AT front seal. If you take the cover off where the shift lever attaches in the underside of the trans you can usually see the driveplate. If the drive plate is oil soaked then it is most likely the RMS.
From driving oil leaks from the front of the engine can also leak down and be blown back under the car. These are usually much easier to diagnose.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
lulz

If you have a coin-op car wash locally, or just a hose and a sprayer, get some Simple Green/409(any kind of 'green' cleaner, NOT purple power or any other 'purple' cleaners) and judiciously spray the whole engine down with the green cleaner. Let it soak in, if the engine is a bit warm even better. Then using the coin-op use the wand function on soap and blast the begesus out of the engine and get all the oil and gunk, as best you can, off the engine. It may be best to remove the undercar front splash shield to better clean the undercarriage.

Be careful of the distributor and the alternator, don't blast them directly, just wave the wand over the engine to get the goo off, don't sit in one spot and soak it.

Areas that can be causes of oil leaks that make the bottom of the car look like that.
Distributor outer O-ring or inner oil seal. This can cause an oil leak that will dribble down the backside of the engine and make ***** of the undercarriage.
VTEC solenoid, slightly behind and to the right of the Distributor. If it has a leak it can piddle down in the same area.
Cam cover gasket, this can leak at the backside and it tends to dribble down the dame corner of the block as the above mentioned components.
Axle seals on the differential. I had the inner one fail on the diff and it made a mess, worse was the ATF will soften all the roadgrime and goo, so you really need to be able to clean the bottom of the engine/trans to properly see where the leak is.
Engine RMS or AT front seal. If you take the cover off where the shift lever attaches in the underside of the trans you can usually see the driveplate. If the drive plate is oil soaked then it is most likely the RMS.
From driving oil leaks from the front of the engine can also leak down and be blown back under the car. These are usually much easier to diagnose.
Thanks Mike. I'll get it cleaned up tomorrow. Do you think I can rule the oil pan gasket out?

Last edited by Mason Edmison; 11-28-2017 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Forgot
Old 11-28-2017, 03:43 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if it were me I'd put a drain pan underneath and hit it with some brake cleaner to clean it off, never been a fan of spraying water all over my engine but as long as the wiring is all stock and you atleast make an attempt to avoid electrical components I guess it's not that bad

you could even use a spray bottle to be more precise and exact
Old 11-28-2017, 04:13 PM
MM Gruppe B

Originally Posted by Mason Edmison
Do you think I can rule the oil pan gasket out?
I would not rule it out until you have everything cleaned up and then go for a drive and see where the oil could be originating from.

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
never been a fan of spraying water all over my engine
I'll have to convert ya. As long as you don't flood the engine or sit there with the hose down the TB, it's fine. So much easier, and less stinkier, than other methods.
Now I would never recommend steam cleaning any EFI engine bay or alternator, that is just asking for trouble.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My advice is to see if it is a common leak at the top of the engine first. Wipe a rag under the distributor. If it comes up oily then that is at least part of your problem. The distributors on these cars are legendary for leaking - the oil gets in from the engine through a couple of seals. The only real fix is replacing the distributor ($112 delivered from 1Aauto.com) or taking the distributor completely apart and replacing the seal, if it can even be done on your type/model/brand distributor since I hear that it can't be done on certain type distributors. Bushougoma did a video on dismantling a distributor and replacing the seal. Again, yours may or may not be like the one in the video. The VTEC solenoid leak also causes It to drip down the back of the engine on the left as you face the engine. On the way it drips on a water hose that can get saturated and explode. So, that is a potential additional problem in your near term future. Also, the VTEC solenoid is very common to leak and it will leak down the back left of the engine (again, left as you face the engine). The VTEC solenoid is just behind the valve cover on the left. It has 2 seals. Bushougoma did a good YouTube video on addressing the VTEC solenoid leaks, although mine only leaked at the top seal which was very easy to replace and cost like $2. On mine, on cold startup if I popped the hood I could see the oil dripping from the VTEC solenoid. Again, if that water hose just below and behind the distributor looks fat, or even just wet with oil, replace it when you replace the distributor or it will blow when you're driving down the highway and if you don't stop right away after that the engine will overheat and the engine may be done for. The hose is cheap and you have to take the distributor off to replace the hose anyway. If neither of those is it, it didn't take much time, money or effort to find out.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by user456101
My advice is to see if it is a common leak at the top of the engine first. Wipe a rag under the distributor. If it comes up oily then that is at least part of your problem. The distributors on these cars are legendary for leaking - the oil gets in from the engine through a couple of seals. The only real fix is replacing the distributor ($112 delivered from 1Aauto.com) or taking the distributor completely apart and replacing the seal, if it can even be done on your type/model/brand distributor since I hear that it can't be done on certain type distributors. Bushougoma did a video on dismantling a distributor and replacing the seal. Again, yours may or may not be like the one in the video. The VTEC solenoid leak also causes It to drip down the back of the engine on the left as you face the engine. On the way it drips on a water hose that can get saturated and explode. So, that is a potential additional problem in your near term future. Also, the VTEC solenoid is very common to leak and it will leak down the back left of the engine (again, left as you face the engine). The VTEC solenoid is just behind the valve cover on the left. It has 2 seals. Bushougoma did a good YouTube video on addressing the VTEC solenoid leaks, although mine only leaked at the top seal which was very easy to replace and cost like $2. On mine, on cold startup if I popped the hood I could see the oil dripping from the VTEC solenoid. Again, if that water hose just below and behind the distributor looks fat, or even just wet with oil, replace it when you replace the distributor or it will blow when you're driving down the highway and if you don't stop right away after that the engine will overheat and the engine may be done for. The hose is cheap and you have to take the distributor off to replace the hose anyway. If neither of those is it, it didn't take much time, money or effort to find out.
Good Deal. I already pulled the distributor and replaced both seals a few months back as it was leaking so I think I can rule that out for now. I definitely will investigate the Vtec. I need to clean off the trans better so that I can see if it puddles there; it's still pretty gooey from when the dizzy was leaking.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lulz

Ok, so I got it cleaned up as best I could today. Man was it hard to find a car wash that was self-service. Anyways, I think I found where the drip is coming from. I may have been mistaken; it may actually be ATF dripping? But it's dirty and black so I might have mistaken it for oil. Picture attached. Axle seal maybe? Not sure what would cause fluids to build up here it has...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iro...ew?usp=sharing

Thanks for everyones time and effort so far by the way!
Old 11-29-2017, 11:49 AM
MM Gruppe B

That is the bottom of the rear engine mount.
If oil is dripping down off that from up on high, then you will want to look up higher on the backside of the engine.
Open the hood and check the VTEC solenoid, distributor, cam cover for oil leaking down that back corner of the engine.
Otherwise it may just be oil being blown back from a leak forward of the differential.

Easiest way to tell if it is the RMS on an AT car is to remove the cover for the shifter cable https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pJD...2yTzG4aN1/view

Remove that little cover and stick your finger onto the driveplate, if it is oily/slinging oil then that is your leak which would be the RMS.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That is the bottom of the rear engine mount.
If oil is dripping down off that from up on high, then you will want to look up higher on the backside of the engine.
Open the hood and check the VTEC solenoid, distributor, cam cover for oil leaking down that back corner of the engine.
Otherwise it may just be oil being blown back from a leak forward of the differential.

Easiest way to tell if it is the RMS on an AT car is to remove the cover for the shifter cable https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pJD...2yTzG4aN1/view

Remove that little cover and stick your finger onto the driveplate, if it is oily/slinging oil then that is your leak which would be the RMS.
Good deal. I"ll pull that cover tomorrow and see what it looks like. I checked up above- areas below VTEC and Dizzy and they looked dry. The fluid I noticed today did look like it had a reddish tinge but I may be tripping. Hopefully I can get this narrowed down.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To my surprise it looks like I have an ever so subtle leak from my Vtec solenoid, the dops I am seeing from being parked overnight however, is ATF. I checked my fluids today and my oil is reading right but my ATF was about a 1/4 qt. low. Are there any other places it could be leaking other than the different seal?