Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Temperature Dial--Air Mix Cable

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Temperature Dial--Air Mix Cable

I can't turn the heat all the way up in my car--it turns part of the way and springs back without changing anything--and I thought maybe I had the same typical problem that turns up over and again in searches--that simple fix issue where the cable has slid out from under the clamp.

I couldn't be so lucky. It looks like it's bound up where the cable attaches to the heater unit, though I can't see exactly where it's attached. I have the glove box out (and panel that contains the heater control dials) and felt with my hands. I read somewhere it's a major pain to fix, but haven't actually seen how to go about fixing it. There's something about an air mix door and also a valve (possibly stuck?)

I'm trying to make a decision as to whether or not it's worth dealing with this issue right now--some caveats of going through with it, and possibly simple things I might try first.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:20 PM
Global Moderator

Received 419 Likes on 389 Posts
Default Re: Temperature Dial--Air Mix Cable

What year, model trim level, and no. of cylinders?
Old 12-05-2016, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1995 Honda Accord EX, 4 cyl. Sorry, was extremely busy when posting and forgot the details when forming a thread on different topic.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:02 PM
Global Moderator

1. Depending on whether your 1995 Accord was early year or mid-year production, the air mix control cables are different. Mid-year 95 Accords, 96, and 97 Accords came with a new non-adjustable air mix control cable. The new cable is non-adjustable. Compare your car's VIN to the info. on the pic. to see if yours had the old or new air mix cable.

2. If your car has the old adjustable cable, attached is a service bulletin with instructions for adjusting it.
Attached Images
Old 12-05-2016, 07:14 PM
Global Moderator

You can also check the operation of your heater control valve arm in the engine compartment.
Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2016, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks tech8--hoping you can stick by and clarify a few things....

I read that article earlier today--I think it was in Popular Mechanics, plus the service manual section I printed from Service Express, and reading from Mitchell's DIY (both of which I paid for access, though only one day for Service Express, now expired). I try to research before posting as much as reasonably possible....it's just I don't always know what it is I am looking at or in reference to what else, since I only work on the car when (and actually because, financially) I have to. I mean, for example, even, there's a picture in the repair manual of the whole heater unit (it seems) with the control pictured in front of it, and I don't see where that is in relation to the vehicle body itself.

And regarding the cable I just don't understand where the linkage is. The picture is too up close and I don't know the reference points. Is the "heater valve arm" under the dash area, or engine compartment. The heater cable that connects to the heater valve, is a different cable from the air mix cable. But it seems that it's connected nearby to the heater cable.

The air mix cable is clamped soundly to the heater control. If I turn the dial, I can see the whole cable pulling rather than just the inside... so something that should be moving isn't, so either the cable is bound inside, or the thing it's trying to move is stuck, and I'm not sure which.

I did read today that someone found a kink in their air mix line which caused a similar (possibly the same) issue. As far as I could follow the cable (wrapped around something in the glove box area), I didn't feel the cable itself bound and distorted, but it could be down the line.

Thanks again, Tech8.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wait a minute!! That service bulletin shows how to get at the air mix cable with MUCH GREATER clarity than the service manual, by showing it in relation to the heater assembly cover. I can see where it is in my car, basically, because the glove box door is removed... but I suppose the other end is just covered. I'll have to look at it in the morning and see if this helps.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:13 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

FWIW, my own '95 the valve itself is what the problem. I believe there is gunk in the valve from years(miles) of service and will not fully close unless it is manually fully closed.
I've checked the cable its range is fine fine, it just cannot close the valve fully, which even by hand(cable disconnected) is a bit tough. 90% of the swing is fine, just that last portion it becomes tough to mechanically close the valve. Originally thought my A/C was low or clogged evap, closed the valve manually, A/C works fine.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I took the plastic cover off under the glove box (thanks for giving me the diagram showing where it is!) and determined it's not the typical air mix cable issue after all (where the air mix cable detaches itself from the clamp). The cable moves freely inside its sheath; and the mechanism it attaches to also moves freely when the heater valve cable is not attached. Either the heater cable or the heater valve itself is the issue--not sure that the heater valve is getting the full range of motion but it moves part-way. With the cables attached, I can turn the temperature dial about 3/4 of the way before it tries to spring back either due to the heater cable binding or maybe the valve is stuck. Either way, it looks to be a very easy fix--on a non rainy day or when I can pull my car into the garage.

Is it possible to mark this post as solved?
Old 12-06-2016, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Mad Mike--looks like you were writing as I was! I gather we do have the same issue! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Just checked and found the heater valve is very inexpensive as well!