Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

TCS and ABS lights... please assist!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 TCS and ABS lights... please assist!

Hello everyone I'm new here, I used to be at 7th Gen Civic Forums.
After an accident on the 7th last month where my Civic was rear-ended and it was totaled, I received money to buy myself another Honda.

This new Honda happens to be a 2002 Accord, it's an EX-L V6.
I'm very happy with the way the car looks and feels.

I got it from a private owner, although when I had checked it there was both a TCS and ABS light that remained on. No flashing of any sort. I told the guy I would buy the vehicle if he could fix the systems and light. He said he had replaced an ABS sensor and needed to have the light reset?

Next day I went to purchase the vehicle after he said it had been fixed. I checked the dashboard and the lights no longer popped up. After signatures and paying for it, it wasn't until I got on the road that I noticed the "TCS" button.

I pressed the "TCS" button but nothing happened, I would've expected a light or something... Then I began to wonder did he just remove or disable the dashboard lights but not fix anything?

When I got home I flipped the key to "ACII" lights test, and the ABS and TCS light did not post at all for even a second. All other lights such as SRS, CEL, MAINT REQ'D, BRAKE etc. turn on for a second then go out. Does the ABS and TCS light need to turn on for a second too?

It's just missing the TCS and ABS light up post

How can I fix the lights and re-enable the TCS/ABS systems?
It's bothering me a lot to know a system isn't working.

Also, when I accelerate from 0 MPH onward I hear and feel this vibration on my drivers side wheel sometimes, is this normal for an Accord? Or is it the ABS? It does sound like the brakes.

I've checked the cars codes with an OBDII reader but it doesn't have ABS capabilities, there is no present codes. However I am very worried.

Is it safe to drive my car like this?
Old 11-08-2011, 09:09 AM
Trial User

Default Re: TCS and ABS lights... please assist!

*bump* anyone?
Old 11-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

brakes are independent from the abs system. If you have an abs check light or issue it is safe to drive. You just cant stop an extra 4 feet. I actually prefer no abs since when used on hard stop it cripples fragile components in the engine bay from the large weight transfer. It is safe.

As for the light itself, it may be possible that he disconnected it. Did you get any proof that he did in fact fix what he said he was going to fix on the car prior to purchase? receipt? Mechanic log? ect ect.

is the vibration in the steering wheel or in the car itself?
Old 11-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Trial User

Thanks for the response and confirming that it's safe to drive!

I received no receipt from him. How can I check to see if it's disconnected?
I want the TCS switch to function as well.

Today I drove on the highway going 65mph and compared to my other vehicles the steering wheel was vibrating, it even made my hands vibrate. Tire balancing required?