Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

suspension noise?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension noise?

from time to time I get this odd noise that sounds like popcorn popping when accelerating and decelerating it is both subtle and at times it gets loud that you can hear it over my subs. At first i suspected the axles as one was already busted and leaking, since than i replaced both and the ball joints plus the bearings.I am out of ideas and need some fresh input on what else could be making this noises. Thanks in advance

96 accord lx
-cheap Gabriel readyshocks replaced 2 years ago
-both tie rod ends replaced 2 years ago
- hawk brake pads replaced last year

thats all the work i serviced on the vehicle in the past 2 years
Old 06-09-2015, 01:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: suspension noise?

When did this problem first start? And what was done just prior to that? (Collision, etc)

Axles typically make noise during hard turns, not in a straight line. Does this problem occur in straight line driving? Suspension movement? (IE potholes) Help us narrow it down.

From a technicians point of view, given your complaint, the stabilizer links could be culprit. I've driven a lot of cars that feel like the whole front end is going to fall off because of them.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it happens during straight line driving plus i get a little bit of steering feedback like the steering wheel moving side to side a bit on my 8 oclock you can feel it more on highway travel. You can even feel the popping noise under your feet I tried to recreate it when I had the car jacked but it only seems to make the noise when the car is on the ground. I had 2 minor collisions last year but the noise started before than and it was not as constant as it is right now like 1 of out 5 trips. Any more info you need just let me know thank you
Old 06-10-2015, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i decided to order both the end links and bushings for the sway bar I also went ahead and bought some tie rod ends just in case and hopefully this fixes the problems
Old 06-10-2015, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't just replace parts, you need to find YOUR cause. My information is based on a lot of vehicles, including Honda's, which do have quirks just like any car. You could just as easily have a loose steering rack mount. You need to inspect.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just because you replaced the ball joints and tie rod ends doesn't mean they aren't bad. What brand did you use? The cheap ones don't even usually last 2 years.

I would jack up the car and feel each wheel for looseness. Move side to side, since you said you feel it in the steering wheel. You see where the play is.

Also did you replace the upper control arm? The pinch bolts from the factory are often only snug, not torqued down (since final torquing is done with weight on the wheels). This will cause popping like you describe.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the tie rods and ball joints were all bought from auto zone and o'reilly. The ones i just ordered are beck and arnley from rockauto . the only thing i ever felt loose was that axle i replaced. The upper control arms nope havent replace those IDK if i should replace the whole kit or just the bushings on them. The steering rack is rock solid and has no movement that I can see or feel I can tell it was replaced by the previous owner of the vehicle IDk what brand or if its remanufactured.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is how my axle looked like before i replaced it . I will try and take recent pics of the suspension to see if you guys notice anything wrong
Old 06-11-2015, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry about the bad pics guys this moto x is not the best in picture taking anyway thats the driver side shot i will get to the passenger side when i can if you need pics of specific areas let me know thanks
Old 07-20-2015, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so guys check this out i replaced the LCAs and it was still clunking so i immediately thought strut mounts so i took my car to my mechanic for a balance and rotation and suspension check up and after a hour of trying to localize the clunk, they finally found it and never in a million years did i think about the radius rod, it was the pass side and it was loose at the bumper end so it was moving around so guys should i replace the entire rod or the bushings if they are available ? thanks
Old 07-20-2015, 04:14 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The radius rod bushings are built to last. Normally they don't need to be replaced, however the bolt that holds it to the front frame tends to come loose if you don't use a light amount of locktight on the nut and let it cure for a few hours. I actually had one completely come apart when i was starting out after going over a speedbump it came off. Luckily I was able to grab the parts and put em back on, then I added some locktite when I got home and now I know to do that whenever removing it. Strangely, it's normally the right side that comes loose.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yup mine was moving around like it was loose and the nut was offside like off center on the chassis end. I think I am going to try your locktite treatment and see if it works and if not I guess i replace it if it starts acting up again. Thanks for the reply
Old 07-21-2015, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so here is the picture of the right radius rod that is giving me issues.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:35 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Have you tried tightening that nut thats loose yet ?
Old 07-21-2015, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nope not yet I am doing later after work and see if that helps keep it from moving around in the chassis .
Old 07-21-2015, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

should i jack the car or tighten up the nut while on the ground?
Old 07-22-2015, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so this morning i got under the car and tighten up the nut and it was really loose so after doing that i took it out for a test drive and only notice a small sound from the front end nothing too noticeable thanks holmesnmanny for the advice you helped out a lot
Old 07-22-2015, 04:35 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Like i said you might want to put a tad bit of locktite on the threads of the nut and retighten it. If its come off itll try to wiggle free again. Just dont go nuts. Then let it dry/cure for a few hours.

Ideally you want to tighten up suspension components as they normally would sit.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright got it. I just bought some locktite and will be doing that tomorrow on both radius rod nut threads just to be on the safe side . thanks though for all the help I appreciated .
Old 07-24-2015, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

one more question does anybody know what are LCA shims for some reason the shop wont do a alignment on my car because mine are missing and i dont recall the new lcas coming with any extra parts and they was identical to the old ones. thanks
Old 07-24-2015, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It looks like there washers that go on the radius rod bolt to the LCA but the old LCAs i replaced never had this washers and the same shop aligned my car without them so WTF! im trying to find out where they sell them at and trying to figure out how many washers are needed per lca?
Old 07-27-2015, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not a wear item so you probably are stuck with eBay, the junkyard, or the dealership.

But you will have two huge washers that sandwich the bushings, and a smaller washer that is used to adjust the caster. It sounds like this is the washer the shop is talking about.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh got it so i found this on amazon and wondering if this is the right ones

Amazon.com: Ingalls Alignment Kit - 0 - 0 - 34690 - ALL: Automotive Amazon.com: Ingalls Alignment Kit - 0 - 0 - 34690 - ALL: Automotive

they come in two sizes 1/16in. and 1/8in. should i get both ?

Amazon.com: Ingalls Alignment Kit - 0 - 0 - 34695 - ALL: Automotive Amazon.com: Ingalls Alignment Kit - 0 - 0 - 34695 - ALL: Automotive
Old 07-27-2015, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are no washers that go to the LCA's or where the radius rods bolt to the LCA's. Go to another shop.

As far as the radius rod bushings, just buy polyurethane ones from Energy Suspension or Prothane. I just got some from Summit Racing, but have yet to install them.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-16-7103G
Old 07-28-2015, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so i basically got ripped off. Alright I'll order the bushings. thanks everyone for helping me out i think thats everything.

Quick Reply: suspension noise?