Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

stumble 92 accord ex

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stumble 92 accord ex

Okay I apologize since I know this has been covered several times but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

It is a 1992 accord ex auto and every once in a while(enough to where it annoys me) it stumbles in low RPMs. I would say anything over 3,000 and it runs fine. I pulled code 43 which is fuel system supply and whenever the cel light comes on it clears up. Open loop mode maybe? The only other way I can get it to go away is if I lay into it and get it to downshift.

Things I have checked and replaced:

fuel filler neck
fuel filter
air filter
plugs
valve cover gasket and grommets
New exhaust and an ebay header since the factory manifold was leaking.
checked vacuum lines and injectors
cleaned coolant temp sensor as it was covered in oil

I am thinking O2 since when the cel comes on it runs fine.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: stumble 92 accord ex

try the fuel cap and if that dont work, test the charcoal canister. smog shops can do this.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How could it clear up after the light coming on have anything to do with it? I would feel pretty stupid of this is what is causing me this massive headache.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the fuel caps do go bad. on these obd0 cars the CEL will clear sometimes when you turn the car off. my 91 accord threw all kinds of ingnition system codes and barely ran when the distributor went out. then would clear but idle fine till i got on the gas. then it would clear if i had to restart the car. changed the dizzy and all was normal. i knew it was the dizzy because all those codes suddenly could only be one part with all the codes. my 90 integra will do the same thing if i get a 43 or 44 code. changed the fuel cap and walla!! no more code. they even test the gas cap as part of the emissions smog test here in cali now. wont cost you much money or time. try it and see what happens. i had to do it but i know about these hondas-used to be a dealer tech-so i just tried it off the bat. worked for me. you could have a cracked apor hose though to the gas tank or somethin. i would rule out the cap first and then move on to the bigger repairs. for easy diagnosis of the bigger repairs i would pay a smog test shop to diagnose the emission system hoses or possibly test the system for cracked hoses or leaks. personally though, i like clean hoses so i would just change them if it were my ride. i spend alot of time and money doing little stuff like this though. i know most people dont. but the smog shop may be able to help you out if the gas cap dont work. the charcoal canister is about 175 bucks so its not cheap. my neighbor just got the price yesterday. his is fine IMO but he's like me so hes gonna get it ordered today. i thought he had a problem with his car cause i seen him with the scanner out there. i go over and he hadent hooked up the scanner yet so i did and there was no CEL code. i asked him what he was doing when he came back out and he told me his plans. WTF huh? thats what most people would say. he dont even drive that car but i know how he is since hes been hangin around me LOL. try the gas cap. sometimes its little stupid stuff like that. or even the place you buy gas from. it could be crappy gas or the wrong octain....like if youre supposed to run premium. but try the cap first
Old 05-01-2010, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the cap from the original filler neck, Can I just use that or should I buy a new one. What is most irritating is how intermittent the problem is. For example, I change or mess around with something and its good for a while, then surprise. Thank you for the information.