Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

A strange short time vibration in my 2000 Accord LX 4cyl.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 A strange short time vibration in my 2000 Accord LX 4cyl.

Hi!

I got Accord 2000 LX 4 cyl.

Purchased it in august 2010 when it had 134K miles. Right now it has about 144K miles due to I was driving several times from Tampa to Miami and Orlando.

Since I changed ALL belts at Kuhn Honda it Tampa more than a month ago I feel a very short time vibration every time I start or stop the engine. It lasts less than a second. When I took the car to them the took it, inspected it and when I got it back I started the engine and heard 2 things: 1) loud whistle and 2) vibration at the time of start/stop. After they took it back they called me and said that rear engine mount was broken.

I said that I haven't had any problems with this car before I took it to them. After 2-3 hours of talking via phone they agreed to change it at their expense.

So, after I took the car back I didn't hear the whistle (they tightened the outside belt), but I still hear and feel a not so loud, but still a vibration at the time I start/stop engine.

I took the car to Brandon Honda. That guys gave me only 2 things: 1) Possible reasons and 2) of course a bill for about $1400. The thing is that 90% of maintenance list is not connected to vibration problem.

They suggested to replace the front mount since the rubber was a bit old. And the also put "valve adjustment" in that bill. I still wonder, why do I need that?

Most of that bill was concerned to brakes (change pads, shoes, resurface rotors, drums, flush and bleed brake fluid) and to minor oil leaks. I already changed the front pads by myself and was close to change rear shoes, but failed and lost a lot of time due VERY tight springs. But now I know every piece of my rear drum brakes. I also bled the fluid by myself.

I found a mechanic and he told me that this vibration could be due the Kuhn have installed a new rear mount. But this mount seems to be new and I can't find anything wrong with it.

Yes, and this vibration happens when the car is "cold". Afted couple hours of driving I don't feel the vibration when I start/stop the engine. I mean that either it's too small or there is no vibration.

This problem doesn't bother me, because it happens only when the car is cold, but I still wonder what is the reason for this short time vibration.

I also got another question. I have changed engine oil by myself, but I don't know how to reset a "maintenance" orange light. Can the dealership service do it for free?

P.s.: in Florida DIY is hard thing when you don't have a garage. It's too hot here...
Old 06-10-2011, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A strange short time vibration in my 2000 Accord LX 4cyl.

To reset the maintenance light, consult your owner's manual. I reset it once, but have forgotten how to do it. Turn key to II position snd then back to off position. Press and hold trip reset button and turn key to II position. Light should turn off between 10-15 seconds.

Last edited by 75aces; 06-10-2011 at 12:39 PM. Reason: info
Old 06-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A strange short time vibration in my 2000 Accord LX 4cyl.

Thanks! I'll check manual tomorrow!

BTW. There is also a light "SRS". In Brandon Honda they connected the car to a laptop with special software which tells you the reason codes and I was told that the problem is in "passenger belt switch" and they could do if for free, because it has a lifetime warranty, but since I didn't want to pay $1400 I decided not to fix it. I will return to this problem as soon as I decide to sell the car.