Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Stiff accelerator. Throttle cable?

Old 11-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stiff accelerator. Throttle cable?

I have a 97 Accord LX. The accelerator pedal seems very stiff and hard to press. Do I need to replace the throttle cable or can I clean up the throttle body and lube it to cure this problem? Couldnt find anything in search. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stiff accelerator. Throttle cable? (kornfox)

i have the same problem, and my moms odyssey is the same.. its hard to push at first then easy. Im not sure if its normal or not, i always thought it was.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stiff accelerator. Throttle cable? (sony224422)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sony224422 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have the same problem, and my moms odyssey is the same.. its hard to push at first then easy. Im not sure if its normal or not, i always thought it was.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It seems that mine is hard to push throughout.. doesnt seem to get easier. i've heard about some hondas "sticking" in the beginning of giving the vehicle gas. I think you should try cleaning out your throttle body. Should help.

I guess I'll probably do the same and maybe just replace my throttle cable for the fun of it.

Ive heard that the throttle body in my car ties in with a transmission cable of some sort though. That sounds scary.

Modified by kornfox at 7:37 PM 11/6/2007
Old 11-06-2007, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i take it you checked the throttle cable adjustment first right?
Old 11-06-2007, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kornfox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Ive heard that the throttle cable in my car ties in with a transmission cable of some sort though. That sounds scary.</TD></TR></TABLE>

WTF! no! Throttle cable is not connected to the tranny. Where did you get this info? I reall want to that person.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stiff accelerator. Throttle cable? (The-Kid)

It is adjusted correctly and reponse from the throttle and idle is fine. Just unexpectedly hard to press.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The-Kid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
WTF! no! Throttle cable is not connected to the tranny. Where did you get this info? I reall want to that person.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ha. Yeah, it seemed rather strange. I came across it when I was searching threads for this issue. Something about a cable that informs your automatic transmission when it needs to upshift under heavy acceleration. Thought thats why I had a TCU/TCM.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL. But yea, I do have this problem. It is really stiff. Even after a TB cleaned. I sprayed some WD-40 in spring outside. It seems really stiff. I'm pretty sure everyone had this type of problem.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kornfox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It seems that mine is hard to push throughout.. doesnt seem to get easier. i've heard about some hondas "sticking" in the beginning of giving the vehicle gas. I think you should try cleaning out your throttle body. Should help.

I guess I'll probably do the same and maybe just replace my throttle cable for the fun of it.

Ive heard that the throttle body in my car ties in with a transmission cable of some sort though. That sounds scary.

Modified by kornfox at 7:37 PM 11/6/2007</TD></TR></TABLE>

hm i've cleaned the throttlebody out before.. didn't seem to help. I just always took it as normal since both hondas we have do it... come to think of it my civic was like that too lol.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have had this problem on my 4cyl 1999 accord. The initial travel of the gas pedal is very stiff and makes for some jerky starts.

The easiest and cheapest fix is to remove the hose from the air filter box and the throttle body. Just inside the throttle body you will see a large butterfly valve. The pivots for this valve accumulate a build of crap over time. This pivot is connect to the cam that the gas pedal cable is attached to. Using a tooth brush and carb cleaner scrub the valve, pivot points, etc. Once clean let everything dry and then put it back together.

I have to do this about every 40,000 miles or so. The dealer will actually remove the throttle body and clean it in a parts washing tank. Probably a much better cleaning job, but a lot more work and cost
Old 11-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stiff accelerator. Throttle cable? (Lowski)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lowski &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have had this problem on my 4cyl 1999 accord. The initial travel of the gas pedal is very stiff and makes for some jerky starts.

The easiest and cheapest fix is to remove the hose from the air filter box and the throttle body. Just inside the throttle body you will see a large butterfly valve. The pivots for this valve accumulate a build of crap over time. This pivot is connect to the cam that the gas pedal cable is attached to. Using a tooth brush and carb cleaner scrub the valve, pivot points, etc. Once clean let everything dry and then put it back together.

I have to do this about every 40,000 miles or so. The dealer will actually remove the throttle body and clean it in a parts washing tank. Probably a much better cleaning job, but a lot more work and cost</TD></TR></TABLE>

Awesome. I will do this and keep you posted. Thanks for the write up!
Old 06-22-2010, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stiff accelerator. Throttle cable?

i know im really really late but did you ever get this fixed and if yes what was the solution my accord is doing the same thing
Old 06-24-2010, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone?
Old 09-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lets get this issue fixed -_-