Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Steel braided brake lines good or no for daily driving?

Old 04-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steel braided brake lines good or no for daily driving?

Is it a good idea to have steel braided brake lines for a daily driver?
Old 04-08-2007, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steel braided brake lines good or no for daily driving? (Bruce Banner)

i say yes
Old 04-08-2007, 03:27 PM
0x5359-0055

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Steel braided brake lines good or no for daily driving? (SuShiBoiiii)

Anything that puts you more in control of your car is good for any driving situation.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steel braided brake lines good or no for daily driving? (213374U)

some site was saying they would rust for daily use.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steel braided brake lines good or no for daily driving? (Bruce Banner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bruce Banner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">some site was saying they would rust for daily use.</TD></TR></TABLE> wtf kind of dumb ricer would say that, omg if theyll rust with daily use imagine how bad its be for track use, its be horrible, therefore hopefuly, no company would have ever released b.s.s. brake lines to mass consumers wtf

/rant

but ya i want some too
Old 04-08-2007, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Steel braided brake lines good or no for daily driving? (361accord)

why dont you get STAINLESS steel braided lines? then you dont have to worry about rust....ever.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steel braided brake lines good or no for daily driving? (JDM_DC4_Fanatic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_DC4_Fanatic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why dont you get STAINLESS steel braided lines? then you dont have to worry about rust....ever.</TD></TR></TABLE>

didnt see the OP said STEEL BRAIDED...
Old 04-08-2007, 10:09 PM
ate my pixel

Default Re: Steel braided brake lines good or no for daily driving? (213374U)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 213374U &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anything that puts you more in control of your car is good for any driving situation. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was under the impression that they're purely cosmetic. Any decrease in expansion under pressure between steel braided vs. stock is probably going to be nelegible.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steel braided brake lines good or no for daily driving? (accord2021)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accord2021 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I was under the impression that they're purely cosmetic. Any decrease in expansion under pressure between steel braided vs. stock is probably going to be nelegible. </TD></TR></TABLE> id have to disagree, theres "no" expansion with ss, but there is expansion with rubber..
Old 04-08-2007, 10:19 PM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've heard from multiple people these can shred and leak your oil

I'll be steering clear of them
Old 04-08-2007, 10:19 PM
ate my pixel

Default Re: Steel braided brake lines good or no for daily driving? (361accord)

Do you have stainless lines? Can you tell the difference?
Old 04-08-2007, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TheMuffinMan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheMuffinMan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've heard from multiple people these can shred and leak your oil

I'll be steering clear of them</TD></TR></TABLE> ok wait, are we still talking about STEEL, or STAINLESS-steel?
Old 04-09-2007, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (361accord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheMuffinMan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've heard from multiple people these can shred and leak your oil

I'll be steering clear of them</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have no idea where your getting this info. i never heard of that happening. and if the case the SS did shred and expose the rubber brake hose, and some how cut the rubber brake hose. how the hell does it leak your oil?!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bruce Banner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is it a good idea to have steel braided brake lines for a daily driver?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont see why it would hurt. unless they really are STEEL and not STAINLESS steel. but i have never seen STEEL braided brake lines
Old 04-09-2007, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pos_cd5)

Sorry for the confusion fellas.
I was referring to stainless steel.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (Bruce Banner)

I've also heard about leaking. The steel overbraid rubs against the rubber hose whenever the hose flexes (steering & suspension action).

If you routinely check out your brakes, and you're aware of the issue; all you have to do is inspect the hoses on a regular basis. They aren't stock because there's lots of people who will NEVER look at their brakes until they fail.

SO I guess they're OK for a daily driver owned by someone who works on their brakes and knows how to recognize a problem. AND they actually look at those hoses more than once a year. AND who realizes that they won't last forever & isn't afraid to replace them after a few years.

NOT OK for someone who doesn't know how to take the wheels off.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: (JimBlake)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JimBlake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've also heard about leaking. The steel overbraid rubs against the rubber hose whenever the hose flexes (steering & suspension action).

If you routinely check out your brakes, and you're aware of the issue; all you have to do is inspect the hoses on a regular basis. They aren't stock because there's lots of people who will NEVER look at their brakes until they fail.

SO I guess they're OK for a daily driver owned by someone who works on their brakes and knows how to recognize a problem. AND they actually look at those hoses more than once a year. AND who realizes that they won't last forever & isn't afraid to replace them after a few years.

NOT OK for someone who doesn't know how to take the wheels off.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've had mine on for about 3 years now with no issues. However I have heard about his leaking problem but I have not seen it first hand. I originally went with SS lines because they are cheaper(in cost) than factory rubber. The issue I heard was that debris makes its way under the steel sheath and it eventually rubs through the rubber line. So every now and then when I have my car racked up I take a look at my lines, so far so good
Old 04-09-2007, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cb7-R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cb7-R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I've had mine on for about 3 years now with no issues. However I have heard about his leaking problem but I have not seen it first hand. I originally went with SS lines because they are cheaper(in cost) than factory rubber. The issue I heard was that debris makes its way under the steel sheath and it eventually rubs through the rubber line. So every now and then when I have my car racked up I take a look at my lines, so far so good </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've had mine on for a year, and no leaks yet. However, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone who won't periodically check them, as they will all develop a leak at some point, due to rubbeing between the steel wrap and dirt between them and the inner teflon lines. For the price, I'm just planning on pre-emptively replacing them every other year.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accord2021 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I was under the impression that they're purely cosmetic. Any decrease in expansion under pressure between steel braided vs. stock is probably going to be nelegible. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It was very obvious how much my stock lines expanded, after I replaced them with braided lines. Pedal effort is reduced, and the "ABS thump" is radically reduced when the system kicks in.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TunerN00b)

i never heard of leaking problems with SS brake lines. but i can see how it can happen, but only with cheap, poor quality lines that doesnt have a tight braid. if you go with quality lines like goodridge, who has really good quality TIGHT braids, i dont see how anything can get under the sheath and the line snagging on anything and fraying.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i hear they last longer than stock lines... so i say go for it.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pos_cd5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i never heard of leaking problems with SS brake lines. </TD></TR></TABLE>
I've never heard of that either. Interesting info tho.

I also have not heard of steel brake lines (non-stainless). A set of Goodridge lines should not have issues and they should make some definite braking improvement.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (notoriousB)

anyone ever tried or knwo of anyone who has tried Project Mu's teflon brake lines? if people on here are so worried about SS lines fraying and cutting brake hoses why not go for the teflon sheathed ones. but they are ******* expensive though.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:40 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry guys, I'm not a huge person when I said Oil I meant brake fluid

I've heard from multiple people about what Jim posted earlier, where they can fray a bit and rub the rubber apart causing it to leak.

I don't really see a need unless there are some huge gains for it.

Teflon sheathed sound bad *** though!
Old 04-11-2007, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JimBlake)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JimBlake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you routinely check out your brakes, and you're aware of the issue; all you have to do is inspect the hoses on a regular basis. They aren't stock because there's lots of people who will NEVER look at their brakes until they fail.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Why would they come stock on vehicles like the Jaguar XJ and XK series?
Old 04-11-2007, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (street_accord94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by street_accord94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why would they come stock on vehicles like the Jaguar XJ and XK series?</TD></TR></TABLE>Good question; I don't know. Maybe those are shrouded better than the ones you can buy aftermarket for Hondas? Seems like you could put another layer of elastomer over the top of the braid, to prevent dirt from getting in there.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Every set of SS brake lines I have ever installed have all had polyurethane coating over the braids. For debris to get in there.... that is some magic debris.

OP: As for increase in brake feel/modulation, you will certainly feel a difference if your current lines are very old/worn. However, if you are looking for better stopping power, a set of new brembo blanks and very good pads will go much further than any line swap.

Anyway, there is a vendor in the sponsored market forums that is selling kits with MC line as well. Good price, but I am wondering if anybody here has used his.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steel braided brake lines good or no for daily driving?