Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

spring, and damp rates?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 08:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default spring, and damp rates?

I was woundering how to calculat these, I know that I want to get a liner spring, because I use the car as a daliy driver, but want something stiffer when pushed. I don't want to just by a spring because of name brand, but how it actualy preforms.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: spring, and damp rates? (hondaccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was woundering how to calculat these, I know that I want to get a liner spring, because I use the car as a daliy driver, but want something stiffer when pushed. I don't want to just by a spring because of name brand, but how it actualy preforms.</TD></TR></TABLE>

spring rate is calculated by how many (weight) require to move a certain {distance}

most of the US spec uses (lb) and (inch)

something like 300lb spring, mean it's requires 300 lbs for force to compress 1 inch of spring.(simple concept but you have to fact in preload, car's weight, corner weight, weight shaft, damper force, roll center stiffiness, etc)

in japan/euro they uses kg(kilo gram) with mm, which is just different scale.

once a while you see some american idoit raving about his 12k springrate wihthout knowing the differencet between lb/inch scale vs. kg/mm scale.

damper rate is done on a damper dyno, which is a test for damper to see how it reacts in low, mid and high speed compression, rebound, etc.

the result will be a grape, and it's not as simple to read/understand as springrate.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I don't want to just by a spring because of name brand, but how it actualy preforms.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you are thinking designer clothing vs. cheap but functional product. in the world of car tuning, there's very little functional yet cheap product.

most of the functional product(or should we say function with a good results) are big name in the industry, because not every company can afford, r&D, testing, dyno, stress test, cad, cam, design, cnc for each and every application.

one cheap yet good functioning product are most likely to be a "reverse engineered" product, meaning taking a working product from a big name company and stealing the damper rate, spring rate and built properly and copy their design.

plus, with name brand you can have extra peace of mind knowing that warranty you have will not go down with the company if they happen to fold, which is not something rare in this industry
Old 02-11-2007, 08:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: spring, and damp rates? (iam7head)

thank you once agian for the helpfull info. still kicken ***