Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

speedo goes crazy

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: speedo goes crazy

Originally Posted by adkinsey
A NAPA VSS. That's about all I can tell you right now. They had the best deal at the time. It was like $70-$80. I could definitely look more into it if that helps? You're being quite helpful. Again, I'm a broken record, thank you! :]
What sort of test equipment do you have? If you have a meter I can explain how to check the VSS signal to help isolate the problem back to the speedo head.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not going to lie to you... I have no idea. I'll have to wait for my boyfriend to get home from work and let me know. I know he has some sort of gauge or reader-thing to test volts and what not. I know a bit about cars, but not the technical terms and tools. The VSS has been in for about a week? A week and a half-ish? After we put the new one in, it worked for about an hour, then the same problem continued. I've been driving it to work and home only, as I previously mentioned, and it does fine because I'm under my 30 minute limit. It runs like a charm up until then. The transmission seems to be running smooth before then too, until the speedometer goes array, then it's a little grumble-ly.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not going to lie to you... I have no idea. I'll have to wait for my boyfriend to get home from work and let me know. I know he has some sort of gauge or reader-thing to test volts and what not. I know a bit about cars, but not the technical terms and tools. The VSS has been in for about a week? A week and a half-ish? After we put the new one in, it worked for about an hour, then the same problem continued. I've been driving it to work and home only, as I previously mentioned, and it does fine because I'm under my 30 minute limit. It runs like a charm up until then. The transmission seems to be running smooth before then too, until the speedometer goes array, then it's a little grumble-ly.
Before I tell you definitively one thing or another there are a few diagnostic steps you should go through to help determine the cause. It sounds like your boyfriend has a voltmeter and that's something we can use to determine if the vss signal is posing a problem. When you start replacing parts simply based on symptom or "what works most of the time" you can spend money needlessly and create lots of frustration for yourself. Will the car act up after it's been parked for 10 or 15 minutes? It's most likely either going to be the vss or the speedo head causing the problem. We just need isolate.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:57 AM
Trial User

I found out that he has a Craftsman multimeter. I hope that works? & tonight after work I can leave it running to see if it will start to act up. Honestly haven't tried that. We just ran the codes on it after driving it for a while to make it to act up. That's why we changed the VSS; because someone said it was a common problem and that that would be the quick fix. Frustrating and wrong is correct. Heh. But it was wishful thinking that the problem was going to be solved that quickly. :] Wish I had time to check stuff today, but work is priority just barely before my car. Thanks again & I'll speak with you soon!
Old 08-15-2011, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I found out that he has a Craftsman multimeter. I hope that works? & tonight after work I can leave it running to see if it will start to act up. Honestly haven't tried that. We just ran the codes on it after driving it for a while to make it to act up. That's why we changed the VSS; because someone said it was a common problem and that that would be the quick fix. Frustrating and wrong is correct. Heh. But it was wishful thinking that the problem was going to be solved that quickly. :] Wish I had time to check stuff today, but work is priority just barely before my car. Thanks again & I'll speak with you soon!
Here are some diagnostic instructions I sent to someone else but modified some things to suit your car:

Ok. Jack the front end of the vehicle up so that both wheels are off the ground. You shold be able to get a signal without having to block one wheel. You'll either need a "bed of nails" which is a test lead that pierces a wire, or a bobby pin or something similar to back probe a connector. Connector 133 which is located under the hood near the strut tower on the timing belt side back towards the firewall. It is a 14 pin gray connector next to a 5 pin, 8 pin, and 6 pin gray connector also next to the injector resistor box. This will be the easiest place to access the signal wire for the VSS. If you have trouble finding the connector then you can access the signal wire directly at the VSS it's just a little tougher. The VSS signal wire is colored solid Orange. It will be the only solid Orange wire in that 14 pin connector. Set your meter to volts. The positive lead goes to the signal wire and ground the negative lead to body somewhere. Now start the car and put it in gear. you should see either
5v or 12v with the ignition switch on and the voltage being pulsed to ground consistently as the wheel(s) turn while in gear. Keep the speed around 10mph until it starts to mess up. When it starts to mess up look at your meter. If you still have voltage being pulsed to ground when the speedo is freakin out that means the VSS is producing a signal, and you've got a bad speedo head. I can fix it or sell you a repaired board. If you don't see the voltage being pulsed to ground then the VSS is the problem. If I'm unclear about anything don't hesistate to ask questions.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i really havent had a chance at work to try this but i did pull the tranny code and d4 flashes 4 times....???? short or open in speed sensor wire ????
Old 08-17-2011, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anybody???
Old 08-17-2011, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dankoboost
anybody???
Reference my post above about how to check the VSS signal. That code is a very genral and generic description of the problem.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:57 PM
Trial User

We are definitely going to do this when time permits. Sorry it has taken me so long to reply to you. Life has been rather hectic with me trying to get back into school and working and having a broken car. As stated before, the car has to be running for a little while to start acting up & we just haven't been able to find time with out schedules. This weekend looks promising, however. If you still don't mind, I'll post my findings to you when we get the test all figured out. I thank you again for your time and patience. You've really been a helping hand. :] Thanks & speak with you soon! Hope all is well.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so i have just did the test....still have signal to ground.....so i need a speedo head...how much do you charge for 1 shipped to 18702....no salvage yards around me have one....hummm i wonder why lol......its weird that only after 30 mins does this happen but if that's gonna solve it i'm in need of 1.....
Old 08-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dankoboost
ok so i have just did the test....still have signal to ground.....so i need a speedo head...how much do you charge for 1 shipped to 18702....no salvage yards around me have one....hummm i wonder why lol......its weird that only after 30 mins does this happen but if that's gonna solve it i'm in need of 1.....
When you were doing your testing the wheels were turning, and as the speedo was acting up you still had voltage being pulsed to ground(ex. 5v, 0v, 5v, 0v.)? If that's the case then yes, you do need a speedo. I use usps flat rate shipping and it will be $7.00. Here is a link to my ebay page where you can buy the speedo. http://myworld.ebay.com/hondatech83
Old 03-22-2018, 07:28 PM
Trial User

Hey did you guys ever figure out what the heck would fix the wacky speedometer and blinking drive indicator? My mechanic found nothing wrong (fluids, wires, etc), but now check engine light on too! I have s 94 Honda Accord.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If I remember correctly, I had this same issue on my 95 ex. I went to the junkyard, grabbed a cluster. Went home pulled the board, replaced. I do believe that fixed my issue. I’m getting old, so I may be remembering things wrong.

*disclaimer*

i wasn’t part of the original discussion but jumped in this to help.