Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

speedo goes crazy

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 speedo goes crazy

hi everyone.....new here to honda-tech but not to hondas....anyway i have never come across this before in all of my years of workin on hondas.
When i drive my 95 2.2l accord more than 20 mins. and the engine warms up the speedo goes crazy....i have replaced the vss and it seemed to help some but its still doing it...also d4 starts to flash.....i have come across hondas that do weird things with bad grounds.....i just wanna know if some1 has come across this before....btw i also checked for wire-rubs and there seems to be none....any help would be appreciated it seems like a ground issue but where !?!.....
Old 08-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: speedo goes crazy

anybody ????
Old 08-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Trial User

im having somewut the same problem with my 94 accord coupe. does your speedo cut on and off or is it all over the place? like unaccurate? because all mine will do is just go from the speed right down to zero. or just back and forth, but when its on its always 100% accurate
Old 08-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it works fine when the car is cold but when it gets warm it bounces or stays at a low speed defiantly off....when the car cools down it will work again until warm....i 'm so confused i changed the vss and cleaned all the grounds....
Old 08-11-2011, 04:51 PM
Trial User

I have a 1994 Accord doing the same thing as well. Replaced the VSS and it seemed to work for a day and then NOPE. Crazy speedometer for a while and then if it's driven long enough the D4 will start to flash. Mine is obviously an automatic and I'm at 220k. If 3 cars are doing this at once, there's got to be a solution. I'm just hoping that the solution isn't a new transmission. Let me know if you guys figure anything else out. For now, I try to keep my driving under 30 minutes.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well yea that's just it we can only drive them safely for 30 mins then its go with the flow and risk a ticket.....im goin to check all the grounds again but its gotta be something in the engine comp. being that its only when the car gets hot....i may check the wires behind the cluster but im still lost on this.....its really weird but predictable.... BTW: any help from anybody who has had this issue and beat it would be greatly appreciated, i drive with 2 kids in my car and i don't wanna be pulled over for speeding with my kids in the car.....thanks a bunch......

Last edited by dankoboost; 08-12-2011 at 05:07 AM. Reason: need 2 add....
Old 08-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone ????
Old 08-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you use a new or used VSS? If you have a new VSS in and still having problems the Speedo PC board is most likely the cause. It's a fairly common problem on many older Honda models. I repair the speedometers on the 1994-1997 Accords. I have a repaired board for sale on this site, or I can repair yours. I charge $75.00 for the repair. Check out the link http://hondamarketplace.com/showthread.php?t=2965209
Old 08-13-2011, 07:22 AM
Trial User

I've used a new VSS. Brand new out of the box. & yes, the speedometer still wants to act wacky after 30 minutes and then the D4 starts to flash. Where exactly is this "board"? Are you talking about the car's actual computer?
Old 08-13-2011, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the 3-Pin connector and terminals for signs of wear, 9/10 times the pins are dirty or what-not, some electronic parts cleaner or brake kleen should do the trick.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:47 AM
Trial User

Ok. I figured out what the speedometer computer board you're talking about. I can see the little circuit that needs to be checked or soldered on the provided link. However, now I don't know what this new post is about a 3-post connector or what not. Are we talking on the VSS? We're jumping to-and-fro with solutions & I'm getting confused. :] Trying to figure out where I can locate a new speedometer cluster & what now right now to change that circuit if the soldering doesn't work. Should I try something else first? & thanks so, so very f'ing much for the feedback. These are great tips I haven't tried yet and I was getting rather frustrated after the VSS didn't do the trick. I'll be lookin' for more info!
Old 08-13-2011, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can try to only resolder the joints on the board but don't be surprised if that doesn't work. On this particular model there is a component on the board that fails, not solder joints. I think a new one from Honda is about $150 or $160. It comes with a guage and pc board. If you're interested I can sell you a repaired board for half the cost of a new one with 30 day guarantee.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Trial User

I actually might be. I'll have to wait for the brains of this operation to get home and take a look at the new findings. We have to fix this car, if we want to sell it. It's a good running car other than this new problem. I'm really thankful that you happened upon this thread. We've been baffled for a week and a half. It's worth trying to solder if it MAY work. But if you have a feeling it won't, then I'm taking that into account. Thanks again. I see you're in North Carolina. We're in Virginia.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep from the big'ol city of Greensboro, NC. My wife's parents have a place a smith mountain lake, VA. Good luck on resoldering, hope it works for you. Keep me in mind if it doesn't.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Trial User

Thanks. Still working on a solution. Hard on the weekends. We're near Roanoke. & another question- is it normal for my D4 to start flashing? Just trying to make sure I'm addressing the right problem and there's not a bigger one on the way. :]
Old 08-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you know how to retrieve trouble codes? You've got a dtc stored you just need to find out what it is. There's a 2 pin Blue connector under the right side dash near the glove box. You need to short those 2 pins and turn the ignition switch to the on position. The D4 light will them blink a code. A long steady blink is 10 and fast blinks are 1.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:24 PM
Trial User

We think our trouble code read 4-0. My boyfriend is use to reading Civic codes (& says the blinking is at a different speed?) and thinks that 4-0 means a 4 code? & what I was talking about with my D4 is... I'll drive the car for more than 30 minutes and the speedometer starts to not work/act wacky, then when you drive for about 40-45 minutes the D4 starts flashing along with the not working &/or crazy speed readings. ??? Weird?
Old 08-13-2011, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's almost as if you still have VSS problems. If you're sure you have a code 4 that code relates to the VSS. Does your speedometer ever read 20 mph with just the ignition switch in the on position? Does it ever stick at a certain mph while driving?
Old 08-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Trial User

Nope. This is exactly what happens...

My car drives FINE.
I drive my car to work. It's only 30 minutes.
More than that, the speedometer starts going erratic. Maybe after it heats up?
The speedometer bounces all over the place before stopping completely.
Every once in a while it'll move a little, sometime correctly (I use my GPS).
After about 15 minutes after the speedometer starts being weird the D4 flashes.
The D4 NEVER stops flashing.
After the car is parked for 30+ minutes, it won't flash again until you drive for 30+, as mentioned before.

We're totally at a loss.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't want to say it's the speedo board just yet. What brand of VSS did you use?
Old 08-14-2011, 05:41 AM
Trial User

A NAPA VSS. That's about all I can tell you right now. They had the best deal at the time. It was like $70-$80. I could definitely look more into it if that helps? You're being quite helpful. Again, I'm a broken record, thank you! :]
Old 08-14-2011, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How long has the napa sensor been installed?
Old 08-14-2011, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i got a doorman vss and my problem still continues.....
Old 08-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im checking the connector for the vss....thats the 3 pins their talking about....its a 3wire sensor....
Old 08-14-2011, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=dankoboost;45837337]im checking the connector for the vss....thats the 3 pins their talking about....its a 3wire sensor....[/QUOTE

What sort of test equipment do you have? If you have a multimeter I can explain how you can check the VSS signal to isolate the the problem it to the speedo head.

Quick Reply: speedo goes crazy