Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Speed Sensor on 96 accord lx help

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 08:36 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Speed Sensor on 96 accord lx help

Does anyone know the diagram for the wiring on a speed sensor for a 94 accord?
Old 04-25-2011, 09:47 AM
Trial User

I am having the same problem with my Honda... Read all these posts and will take some of this advice. Hope it works!
Old 11-21-2011, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, so its been 2 yrs since I first posted. Today I had the time off and decided to get it done. Called a local auto salvage yard and located a match. The guy let me watch him remove the panel, since I was not sure how to get the dash console off to get to the cluster.

Can anyone tell/show me how it is supposed to be removed without prying and breaking plastic behind the console?

Heres how it went
  1. Lit a cigarette
  2. Removed the 2 top screws in the overhang
  3. Grabbed a flathead screwdriver and..
  4. Popped out the rear defrost unit on right side of steering wheel
  5. Popped out the dimmer unit on the left side of the steering wheel
  6. Popped out the cruise control unit by hand through the dimmer opening
  7. Disconnected the all units
  8. Unscrewed 2 screws that could now be accessed to the left and right side of steering
  9. Inserted flathead screwdriver at the top of the panel near the vents and began prying the dash console out
  10. the base was not coming loose so he would just keep prying and tugging till stuff popped behind it and it came loose

Now I kept looking for some other way that might work without breaking the tab connections at the base (under the header ac controls) but I couldnt see any better way. So I did it exactly like he did and I think I broke more in the end than he did.

So disconnected the power supplies and cable that controls the vent so I could get it all out of the way. I removed the cluster and replaced with the salvaged one and the speedometer now works!!!

Now I just need to superglue a bunch of cracked pieces on the dash console and put it all back together.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:49 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by accord96lx
Can anyone tell/show me how it is supposed to be removed without prying and breaking plastic behind the console?
Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
Why does nobody look at the FAQ?
Radio Install Guides 5th gen
&
How To: Relocate Your HVAC ***** - 5th Gen
&
94 - 96 honda accord 4 cyl. cluster gauge info
&
Support to themuffinman's cluster removal FAQ
&
5th Gen Accord Cluster Disassembly Write-Up (Pics)
& for S&G because someone is going to ask...
97-01 Prelude Cluster Installation.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

MadMike I appreciate the links!!!

I have been using the FAQ to see if there is a similar situation on the stereo I ran into when pulling things apart. Its a modulator on a Kenwood system that is ia dud. Its was mounted onto the metal bracket and the console didnt want to come out, so I removed the mount but I am unsure of whats the best way to remove the modulator (assuming I wont need it for the new stereo).

I started a new thread on the stero issue here if you can help.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/stereo-replacement-96-accord-3001386/

Thanks Again for all of the help!
Old 11-24-2011, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hondpartsmanmike...U mentioned a scan tool to hook up to check if speedo head is no good..What exactly is it ..I'mm new to fixing cars and would appreciate it very much if you can help..Thanks..PS..could you also tell how to hook up the scan tool..Thanks again..
Old 11-24-2011, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Redebull-1....Thanks for the pics..This will help a lot if I have to replace speedo cluster..
Old 02-03-2014, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 06-04-2015, 11:22 AM
Trial User

Icon2 Re: Speed Sensor on 96 accord lx help

I've got a '96 Accord LX. My problem is similar to the ones discussed, except both the speedometer and odometer either work at the same time, or simultaneously both don't work. They work properly (usually in hot weather) about 3% of the time, and malfunction about 97% of the time. During malfunction, the odometer doesn't roll, and the speedometer needle pulses between 15 mph and 25 mph. The frequency of these pulsations is directly proportional to the vehicle speed. When I get going fast enough, the needle pulses faster and faster, eventually vibrating/appearing still at about 20 mph. This causes me to believe that the VSS is sending its valid 0-5 volt pulse, plus the cruise control works and the MIL is not illuminated.

My question: is this a broken solder joint on the PCB in the instrument cluster, or a bad speedo head? If I need to replace the head, how to I adjust the replacement part to the same mileage as the original?

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2015, 11:24 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by '96_Accord
I've got a '96 Accord LX. My problem is similar to the ones discussed, except both the speedometer and odometer either work at the same time, or simultaneously both don't work. They work properly (usually in hot weather) about 3% of the time, and malfunction about 97% of the time. During malfunction, the odometer doesn't roll, and the speedometer needle pulses between 15 mph and 25 mph. The frequency of these pulsations is directly proportional to the vehicle speed. When I get going fast enough, the needle pulses faster and faster, eventually vibrating/appearing still at about 20 mph. This causes me to believe that the VSS is sending its valid 0-5 volt pulse, plus the cruise control works and the MIL is not illuminated.

My question: is this a broken solder joint on the PCB in the instrument cluster, or a bad speedo head? If I need to replace the head, how to I adjust the replacement part to the same mileage as the original?

Thanks!
Somehow found a year old thread but not any of the others...

The cluster (speedo) is broken. You can reflow some solder joints or swap out the circuit board with a known working one.

There's about 40000000000000000 threads about it.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Many years back when I started this thread the speedometer turned out to be the issue but I had also replaced the VSS at that time with an ebay purchase. Well Christmas day the speedometer stopped working again and the engine light came on. The odometer did work so after taking it to advance auto they read the code as P0501 which was the VSS. So I looked at Rock Auto and they had a Dorman part that was the same as Advances and with the 30% off online coupon they had I purchased it which turned out to be cheaper than Rock Auto.

After getting the part I took out the part with this 10mm getup to reach the bolt furthest from the firewall which was hard to get to.

Then I saw why the VSS didnt work once I got it out. The pins tabs were worn off. So Im pretty sure I could have just replaced the pin if I could have known and just found that part individually.

Since the tabs wore off I wonder what would cause that within the spot it seats into? Or was it maybe just the metal the other pin was made from wasnt too good? Hope this repair last a while longer than the ebay purchased part.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:49 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe just a bad weld. It looks like they weld the tabs on there.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have been reading this old thread while trying to fix up my 94 accord vti problem... I am trying to locate and solve problem with my NM NC sensors. How'd you get them out??
When ever I ask a supplier about them, they don't know what I'm talking about and want to sell me VSS - speed sensor instead, on top of tranny..
Hope to hear back from someone its a really old thread.

I pulled codes from my D4 light, I got 14 - the NM NC sensor. Symptoms are much like the VSS sensor from what I have been reading though - transmission changes are all over the place, and it just randomly cuts out...takes a few minutes and then can be started again.

I also got the D4 light code 15 - Bad ecu - pulled it out, it has a slightly burnt out patch on it. I can replace the ecu ok, but really finding it hard to get any replacement for the specific NM NC sensor - do they have another name? Also could not find them when I looked up the manual, from archives at the library..

Really appreciate help on this, have been driving my cousins's car and have to get it back to him.

Cheers,
Fdew..
Old 06-05-2019, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My first thread I think, still kicking.
It's been a while so I have to re read the thread to recall what I pulled and how I did it. The VSS is all I remember removing and that 10 mm socket extension rig I posted in that pic with the swivel at the end is the only way I could remove it. Its like most of the repairs I have to do, a pain.

Maybe this post from Madmike will help I saw
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-.../#post50908717