Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Speed Sensor on 96 accord lx help

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Speed Sensor on 96 accord lx help

Brand new to the site and working on Hondas.

I had the speedometer and odometer stop on me and thought to try replacing the speed sensor but I am not certain of where it is located. I found a post on this and thought Id try but the sensor I removed doesnt look like the replacement part photos I'm seeing online.

Here are 2 pics of the location and part.

http://s387.photobucket.com/albums/o...20accord%20lx/

Can anyone help me figure this out?

sean
Old 03-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Speed Sensor on 96 accord lx help

what i think you have is a bad speedo head. what you can do is hook up a scan tool while drivin the car go into the data list and see if i show you the mph that you are going. then that mean the speedo head in the gauge cluster is no good.

p.s. if the sensor was bad you would have a check engine light on

good luck
Old 03-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad wiring to the sensor might cause a problem and wouldn't throw a DTC. If your speedo quit working it is most likely the speed sensor, if it is intermittent it could be the sensor or faulty wiring ( wiring issues will generally be towards the sensor end )
The sensor is driven off the differential and is dropped down into the tranny vertically. It will be held in with one bolt and is within the vicinity of where the axle shafts go into the tranny.
http://www.b17gsr.ca/swaps/itr_88crx...electronic.jpg (The entire vss assembly like this)
https://static.am-autoparts.com/item/e174a0f71d.jpg (This is the electronic sensor part)

I recommend buying the whole thing if you need a new one (around $40)

Last edited by AccordVT; 03-06-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If there is no DTC, the cruise control works, and other gauges work, then it is the speedo head.

So check if the cruise control works.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like I removed the wrong sensor then, can anyone tell me what the sensor is that I did remove from the photo links I posted?

Ill put it back tommorrow and take it for a drive and see if the cruise control works.

After looking again I think i see the sensor more towards the top behing the distributor. Looks tight, how much do I need to remove to get to the speed control sensor? Dont want to disconnect more bolts than i need to

thanks for the help
Old 03-07-2009, 02:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the sensor you removed is the speed sensor. i believe there is two of those on that car 1 on the main shaft and 1 on the counter shaft.

well get it all back together and drive it and see what happens. most def its gonna be the speedo head.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I put the other speed sensor(?) back that I had removed and took it for a test drive.

The only gauge thats not working is the speedometer and the odometer.
Cruise control does not kick in when i press the button. The green light on it comes on but the cruise control isnt enaged.

So if I understand right I should replace the speed sensor on top of the trans.
So how many bolts am I taking off to get to it?

Its pretty tight under what I think is the thermostat, its got a radiator hose running right up to the contraption thats directly above the speed sensor.

thanks for the help
Old 03-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What you pulled is either the NM or NC speed sensor, not the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS).

First image shows NM and NC speed sensor. Second image shows the VSS.

The VSS is held on with two bolts. The location is approximately to the side of the throttle body; but, down on the top of the transmission. You would remove the air intake assembly, unplug the VSS electrical connector, and unbolt the VSS.

Here is a link to read about the VSS and the other NM and NC speed sensor.

http://techauto.awardspace.com/vss.html

My feeling is that your problem is the speedo head instead of the VSS though, similar to HONDAPARTSMANMIKE.

Last edited by redbull-1; 06-10-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here are some more instructions with picture:

http://www.autozone.com/shopping/rep...00c1528005f99d
Old 03-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man thanks guys, Ive ordered the sensor but in case its the speedo head what will fixing that take? Or do I want to know?
Old 03-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is a thread on how to remove the instrument cluster; but, in your case since the odometer doesn't work, if it turns out to be the speedo head you would replace it instead of the printed circuit board.

Press the trip button a few times, then drive it, to see if it would make the odometer work again.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/speedo-works-randomly-2460328/
Old 03-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, use your key and press the maintenance reset button too which is near the trip reset button, to see if it gets the odometer going again.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I tried pushing the odometer reset button several times and using my key and pressed it on the slot for the maintence reset. I then drove it around and the odometer doesnt work. Also a note about the location of the needle on the speedometer, I noticed that it on the right side of the stopping post vs the left where it would be able to travel clockwise. The stopping post is keeping it from turning it looks like.

Once the sensor arrives Ill see if I cant replace it but from what I see in the thread it looks more liely to be the speedometer head. Do I need to go to junkyards and find a cluster?
Old 03-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That sounds definitely like the speedo head. You can try Ebay, a salvage yard, or even buy just the speedo head from Honda (it's around $160 - $200 from Honda though).
Old 03-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I ordered a VSS and installed and no change.
So, you mentioned that since the odometer doesnt work I should replace just the speedometer head and not the printed circuit panel.
Does that mean that I still search ebay for a 96 lx automatic 4cyl speedometer head or the whole cluster?
Old 03-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What I meant was that you need to change the whole speedo head (which includes the printed circuit board) as changing only the printed circuit board may get the speedo working; but, not the odometer.

You do not need to look specifically for an instrument cluster for an LX, just for similar years and four cylinders. All you need is the speedo head, which you can remove and replace the one in your original instrument cluster, or you can swap the whole instrument cluster and put the front black bezel on the instrument cluster from your LX on the one you buy (this will cover the ABS light, etc. that your car doesn't have).
Old 03-13-2009, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Some instructions were previously posted in this other thread:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2460328

However, I'll post some more pics.
Attached Images      
Old 03-13-2009, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And one more pic.
Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Incredible, thanks a lot! Ill post back when somethings changed.
I also have an SRS light that has been on for a long time.
Years ago I took it to Honda and they checked it and said the light is on but the system itself checked out so the airbags would deploy.
But if I wanted the light corrected that it would cost nearly $1500!!!
Old 03-20-2009, 07:50 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

redbull, thanks for the very helpful pics. I'm having a similar issue on my '96 Accord EX, and I'm hoping to take care of it myself. My odometer works intermittently, registering about 7 miles for every 10 miles actually driven. All other instruments work fine.

accord96lx, any updates? I'm curious how much the entire speedo head costs, vs. just the PCB.

Last edited by mlvcnt; 03-20-2009 at 07:59 AM. Reason: correction
Old 03-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mlvcnt
redbull, thanks for the very helpful pics. I'm having a similar issue on my '96 Accord EX, and I'm hoping to take care of it myself. My odometer works intermittently, registering about 7 miles for every 10 miles actually driven. All other instruments work fine.

accord96lx, any updates? I'm curious how much the entire speedo head costs, vs. just the PCB.
A new Honda speedo head costs around $160 - $200, depending on which dealer you buy from. You cannot buy the PCB alone from Honda.

It will be far cheaper buying a used cluster from Ebay or a salvage yard and swapping the speedo head or the whole cluster. The odometer reading will be different regardless, even from the dealer (zero miles) or used (other mileage).
Old 04-13-2009, 09:37 PM
New User

I picked up a whole cluster on eBay for $90 and the guy even adjusted the odometer to what I needed. Once I got the old cluster out, changing the speedo/odometer was easy - took about 5 minutes. Replacing the cluster was another story - not difficult, but time consuming.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:58 PM
New User

I just did mine two weeks ago its on top of the transaxle strait under the mass airflow sensor. you need to take the tub out connecting to the air filter housing to get to it. My speedo sensor was bad and I didnt get a check engine light just no speed registering on the speedometer.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:51 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Speed Sensor on 96 accord lx help

I have same problem on 05 Accord LX.
Ran the DTC check and no DTCs are found.

When running the DTC, I hear squeaking noise from moving parts, I am not familiar with the door that was mention in the postings, but I guess the squeaking may be from the door moving. Is the squeaking normal ?
_______
=== XRumer 5.0 Palladium RULEZ! ===
Old 04-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Trial User

I have a similar problem, also a 1996 Accord LX. Speedometer and odometer work intermittently. The odometer only work when the speedometer is working. I've messed around with the trip odometer and service indicator too. Cruise control works as normal. Would this also be a problem in the gauge cluster? I thought it was a wiring problem since I am missing the wheel well liner on the right front (hence a lot of dirt and water flying around in that area).

Quick Reply: Speed Sensor on 96 accord lx help