Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Something weird happened tonight

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something weird happened tonight

I have a 92 accord ex f22a6 and I left work drove 21 miles home. The temp gauge read maybe a needle and half below mid mark the entire way, never went up at long stop lights or anything. I stopped at a shell mart and was inside for maybe 2-3 minutes...came back out (The fan was running) and my temp gauge was a hair above 3/4 I revved it to about 2k and it came back down to normal. She runs beautifully, The oil is clean, no oil in the coolant and no steam or coolant smell in the exhaust. A buddy did the chemical test to see if exhaust gasses were getting passed to the coolant...nothing. I have a new thermostat(180 Degree) and was gonna replace that tomorrow and the coolant level was full.

A friend suggested that I contact a Witch Doctor to remove evil spirits...
Has anyone seen this?

Thanks in advance,
Gandalf
Old 09-25-2011, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 64 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Re: Something weird happened tonight

I am having a similar issue as of late so I would be interested to hear what people come up with..
Idle or moving (with fans working) the gauge just creeps up until you give it a quick rev.. then its back to normal
Old 09-25-2011, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

May just need the thermostat replaced, refill with coolant/water mix and purge out any air pockets in the system.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 64 Likes on 62 Posts

Interestingly, I removed my theromostat and changed the coolant.. The only bleeding I did was letting it run with the cap off for about 5 mins..

Plan on putting in a new thermo this week but can do with some advice on how to bleed air pockets from the system correctly...

Thanks
Old 09-26-2011, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nicolaselias
Interestingly, I removed my theromostat and changed the coolant.. The only bleeding I did was letting it run with the cap off for about 5 mins..

Plan on putting in a new thermo this week but can do with some advice on how to bleed air pockets from the system correctly...

Thanks
If you haven't bought the thermostat yet, you might want to just try purging any possible air pockets first. Gandalf (OP) already has a new thermostat he was going to replace.

To purge the air out of the cooling system:

1. Turn the heater control to max heat.
2. Remove the radiator cap.
3. Some Accords have an air bleed bolt near the thermostat housing, where you would loosen the air bleed bolt, then fill the radiator with a 50/50 coolant mix to the radiator neck. Tighten the bleed bolt as soon as coolant comes out in a steady stream without bubbles. But, this is not always necessary and sometimes ineffective. (This step can be skipped or may not be applicable to your car.)
4. If you want, you can jack up the front of the car which will help to get the air out easier. But, not necessary. (This step can be skipped.)
5. With the radiator cap off, start the engine and run it till it is at operating temperature. Add coolant as necessary. This may take awhile, I usually run it until I see no more bubbles or air coming from the radiator for a while.

I usually rev the car up a little while the car is warming up to help get the air out and to open the thermostat faster, and refill as necessary along the way. Later, I will also feel the lower radiator hose to make sure the coolant is warm which tells me the thermostat has opened. (But, be careful of the fans, belts, etc.).
Old 09-26-2011, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it also could be a half clogged rad. when you give it a tad gas it pushes more coolant to the engine. i would take that rad to get clean. or get a new one. my dad got a star auto parts one for around 40 becuz he works at a shop so he doesnt get charges tax
Old 02-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm Susan is this John?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nyet...It Ivan
Old 02-23-2012, 03:26 PM
Trial User

my boss has a tool that pulls a vacuum in the cooling system. then you stick the hose in the coolant bottle, crack the valve and wouldnt you know it...

...nothing in the system but coolant/water.