Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Should I use NGK or Bosch spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 04:54 AM
In a Junkyard near you.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (jonwrong)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jonwrong &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Iridium is a joke.</TD></TR></TABLE>
So that's why Honda uses those plugs in the Hybrids and other new cars?
Old 10-03-2008, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (jonwrong)

I don't think Bosch plugs work good in anything. I've heard a lot of bad about them in many different cars even American cars. Just like my Dodge only seems to like Champion plugs.

For the Honda though I've always had good luck running NGK OEM plugs and would recommend them.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:25 AM
In a Junkyard near you.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny. I just had an 03 civic come in the shop misfiring with the check engine light flashing. Misfire codes 1-4. What spark plugs do I pull out? None other than Bosch Platinums! Installed NGK platinums and it ran like a champ.
Another point for the right parts.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

NGK
Old 10-07-2008, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (ricebike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ricebike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

eh, the +2 and +4 are the cumbersome models of bosch;
but their regular copper and platinum plugs gave me NO problems...

only w/ the fancy designed plugs w/ redundant electrodes are a hit-or-miss</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats been my experience as well. I've run the regular bosch copper plugs with no problem

I usually get the regular NGK copper plugs and change them every 30k

Just stay away from any of the split/multi electrode plugs. As long as you get a plug with the correct heat range and it is gapped correctly, you'll be fine.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:49 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Should I use NGK or Bosch spark plugs?

Originally Posted by diydog
Hi,

I am gonna change the spark plugs for my 1999 Accord V6 (J30A1). I am wondering if I should choose the OEM NGK spark plugs or the Bosch Platinum+4 ? The NGK plugs are twice priced than Bosch. I appreciate much if you experienced guys can give some recommendations.
So I have about $650.00 into our 2003 Honda Oddessey which was mis-firing; I replaced the alternator (2 times), the battery, all 6 coil packs (+2 faulty replacement coil packs), 6 new spark plugs, valve cover gaskets and sparkplug tube boots that were dry rotted causing motor oil to fill the into the #1 and #2 spark plug tubes which are affixed to the head, fouling out the coil packs, and lastly an EGR valve...

After all that, it was still consistently mis-firing 750 RPM and up through 3,500 rpm +/-.

And, after spending $158 earlier in the week for a Honda Dealership Service Writer to tell me I needed NGK spark plugs as Bosch are found not to work quite often. So, today I changed the sparkplugs from Bosch to NGK and it ran perfectly. Before that It was giving an assortment of errors about misfires on cylinders 1-6 but nothing I read: Honda service and dealer and mechanic club forums, none of the aformentioned contained anything relating to Bosch plugs being problematic in Honda DOHC motors.

So, for those who have tried, by process of elimination, to solve for a mis-fire unsuccessfully in a Honda Motor: if you have Bosch spark plugs, please change them to NGK spark plugs. Mine fired like a charm with zero mis-firing or hesitation, as soon as I turned the key. I hope this helps some other understandably frustrated shade tree mechanic (don't your-selfer for those of you too young to recall the old tv show).

#Odessey #2003 Honda Odessey Misfire #POS-Honda #Coilpack #Misfire #Mis-fire

Sincerely,

Dane Gerous Brigadier VI
Old 08-19-2017, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dane Brigadier
So I have about $650.00 into our 2003 Honda Oddessey which was mis-firing; I replaced the alternator (2 times), the battery, all 6 coil packs (+2 faulty replacement coil packs), 6 new spark plugs, valve cover gaskets and sparkplug tube boots that were dry rotted causing motor oil to fill the into the #1 and #2 spark plug tubes which are affixed to the head, fouling out the coil packs, and lastly an EGR valve...

After all that, it was still consistently mis-firing 750 RPM and up through 3,500 rpm +/-.

And, after spending $158 earlier in the week for a Honda Dealership Service Writer to tell me I needed NGK spark plugs as Bosch are found not to work quite often. So, today I changed the sparkplugs from Bosch to NGK and it ran perfectly. Before that It was giving an assortment of errors about misfires on cylinders 1-6 but nothing I read: Honda service and dealer and mechanic club forums, none of the aformentioned contained anything relating to Bosch plugs being problematic in Honda DOHC motors.

So, for those who have tried, by process of elimination, to solve for a mis-fire unsuccessfully in a Honda Motor: if you have Bosch spark plugs, please change them to NGK spark plugs. Mine fired like a charm with zero mis-firing or hesitation, as soon as I turned the key. I hope this helps some other understandably frustrated shade tree mechanic (don't your-selfer for those of you too young to recall the old tv show).

#Odessey #2003 Honda Odessey Misfire #POS-Honda #Coilpack #Misfire #Mis-fire

Sincerely,

Dane Gerous Brigadier VI
10 years later LOL
Old 08-20-2017, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

10 years.... at least we know Google's archive search works......LOL

Should have come to Honda Tech first, would have saved you a tone of time and money. There are a million spark plug threads on here. Anyone who has been on this site for more than a month knows NGK is the only way to go in a Honda. Same goes for O2 sensors. Bosch is junk in these cars!
Old 08-20-2017, 08:40 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NGK and Denso have been the OEM for Honda spark plugs for years so you can't really go wrong with either. You probably won't really notice a big difference using Bosch short term but they certainly won't hold up for nearly as long.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IMO I only use bosch parts for german cars. Only bosch part I put on my or any honda was fuel injectors. Always NGK/Denso for spark plugs on hondas and that's it.