Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/)
-   -   Serpentine Belt to bypass AC compressor pulley (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/serpentine-belt-bypass-ac-compressor-pulley-3285051/)

Ruben Vela 09-11-2016 09:58 AM

Serpentine Belt to bypass AC compressor pulley

I have a 1999 Honda Accord V6 3.0
My ac compressor pulley seized and snapped my serpentine belt. Well, winters are long and cold in Minnesota so I'd rather not go through the trouble of replacing the AC compressor just now as the weather is already cooling down. I figure I can configure the new belt to run without the ac pulley. The question is, which belt should I use?? The owners manual only has the deflection info, nothing else. Thanks for you input.

holmesnmanny 09-11-2016 12:54 PM

Re: Serpentine Belt to bypass AC compressor pulley

just measure the distance and ask the people at the parts counter for that size belt

Bart Mauldin 10-15-2016 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Ruben Vela (Post 51049932)
I have a 1999 Honda Accord V6 3.0
My ac compressor pulley seized and snapped my serpentine belt. Well, winters are long and cold in Minnesota so I'd rather not go through the trouble of replacing the AC compressor just now as the weather is already cooling down. I figure I can configure the new belt to run without the ac pulley. The question is, which belt should I use?? The owners manual only has the deflection info, nothing else. Than
ks for you input.

I tried the whole "measure it with string" thing. It sucks. I ended up making 3 trips to the parts store and trying 6 different belts. On my 2001 Honda Accord 3.0 V6, the correct belt to bypass the air conditioning compressor is Gates K060427. It leaves about 1/4" clearance and seems to work great so far. Just wanted to pass the info along to anyone in the same situation. I searched the web all week hoping someone had already done this and shared the info. No luck. So here ya go!https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...61b605a2ff.jpg

gto454man 12-22-2016 10:03 AM

I am doing the same repair on a 2000 Accord EX sedan. I too have looked high and low for this information. Has anyone got an updated report on whether this belt size will offer long term service and remain interference free with a minimum clearance long term( more than 6 months)??

Anyone on this link please report back any success or failure with regard to this attempted fix for a/c bypass on 98-02 Honda Accord V-6 model......

1000 thanks to Bart and all on this post. Please update

holmesnmanny 12-22-2016 11:54 AM

all you do is measure with a string, then get one that is slightly bigger than that length, or you can get a few that are slightly bigger and just return whichever you don't use

GhostAccord 12-22-2016 12:09 PM

Isn't the post above the part number and size that fits the V6 W/O A/C? 20mm x 1099mm

gto454man 12-22-2016 07:10 PM

Your comments are appreciated........however my question was not how, but how long this fix has lasted anyone who tried it. Ghost has a valid point. V-6 w/o A/C should have that exact belt. Holmes and the string is a last resort(hit and miss) strategy. Gates K060427 fit perfectly but should the tensioner weaken or the belt stretch I could see the clearance go away and make a real problem over time......so, again, anyone have a long term reliability report?

Bart Mauldin 12-23-2016 03:17 AM

It's only been two months for me. But I commute 140 miles round trip every day. No problem so far. I'll definitely post here if that changes.

holmesnmanny 12-23-2016 09:41 AM

lol not sure why anyone would think a belt wouldnt last as long a belt should otherwise last. You act like youre using it to pull a truck.

gto454man 12-25-2016 08:21 AM

Much appreciated Bart ans I will do the same. The clearance is paper thin(2-3mm) so that was my only concern. It's great to have my car back in service, and at a huge savings. I claimed $2200 in hail damage before I found your post. I was unsure if I should even keep it(considered a total loss). But I love this car and now it doesn't owe me a cent...and Holmes thanks for your two cents as well, but next time keep it and buy yourself a nice Christmas gift.

holmesnmanny 12-26-2016 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by gto454man (Post 51148837)
Much appreciated Bart ans I will do the same. The clearance is paper thin(2-3mm) so that was my only concern. It's great to have my car back in service, and at a huge savings. I claimed $2200 in hail damage before I found your post. I was unsure if I should even keep it(considered a total loss). But I love this car and now it doesn't owe me a cent...and Holmes thanks for your two cents as well, but next time keep it and buy yourself a nice Christmas gift.

You're right, I really had some nerve giving out quality advice to someone I don't know for no other reason than to help for which I get paid no money whatsoever. Some nerve of me.

Just goes to show no good deed ever goes unpunished.

gto454man 12-27-2016 10:42 AM

sorry i was rude..... please forgive me

GhostAccord 12-27-2016 01:42 PM

Move along! You got what you came for.

It's quite obvious that you aren't going to stick around to contribute anything constructive.

Cheers :beer:

gto454man 01-09-2017 10:45 AM

My repair was successful. I am grateful to you Bart for the quality advice you gave. Thank YOU...... As for these other trolls(ghostAccord and holmes) you two are useless pinheads who have way too much time on your hands as evidenced by your useless and condescending contributions to this thread. I am always amused by how little social skill some people have online. Two cents is more than your posts are worth, so please, just keep it next time. Good grief ........ get a life.

GhostAccord 01-09-2017 02:02 PM

So glad to hear that this very simple maintenance task was a success.

Kudos to you :beer:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...dds/GeoffM.jpg

You're welcome!

BNR1967 05-16-2017 04:58 AM

Bart,
When you routed new belt around the ac how did you do that it looks like the belt would not have the clearance around the ac pulley ? can you post a picture or a diagram on how this belt routes . Thanks, Bob

gto454man 05-17-2017 11:03 AM

Be brave, just do it. You will eliminate the a/c pump from your belt loop. You will be successful if you follow the directions above.

Good Luck,

Mac

Bart Mauldin 05-17-2017 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by BNR1967 (Post 51284135)
Bart,
When you routed new belt around the ac how did you do that it looks like the belt would not have the clearance around the ac pulley ? can you post a picture or a diagram on how this belt routes . Thanks, Bob

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...3df4bd0385.jpgThe only difficult part was figuring out the proper belt to use. Just eliminate the AC compressor(AC) from the loop shown above. The new belt will pass very near itself under the Idler pulley(I) but it should have a slight amount of clearance. I'm still running this way, but have been pricing new compressors because it's warming up in North Texas as we speak. There has been no rubbing, wear, or other issue and I commute 75 miles each way for work. Good luck!

Karter25 04-13-2018 10:57 AM

I used this belt K060427 on my 99 acura 3.0 cl after removing the a/c compressor and have to agree the lack of clearence buy the tension pulley is concerning did find a belt the is a tad shorter just over 42 inches part number 5060415. Has anyone used this one? Has anyone had a problem with the clearence of the 427 belt?

gto454man 04-15-2018 08:54 PM

I used the 427 belt, kept the compressor in place, and had no more problems. Just put it on and drive. what do you have to lose? Often people over think problems when a solution is that easy. Should my belt wear enough that the tensioner can't keep enough clearance then I will get a new one. go too short you will snap the spring on your tensioner or wear out the bearing on your alternator or idler. Good Luck

Karter25 04-19-2018 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by gto454man (Post 51610294)
I used the 427 belt, kept the compressor in place, and had no more problems. Just put it on and drive. what do you have to lose? Often people over think problems when a solution is that easy. Should my belt wear enough that the tensioner can't keep enough clearance then I will get a new one. go too short you will snap the spring on your tensioner or wear out the bearing on your alternator or idler. Good Luck

<div style="text-align:left;">thanks for the help. So glade thst the fix cost just over $15. Thanks again for yours and everyones help "I once was lost, but now Im found" lol.</div>

Zack Hilton 01-03-2020 09:32 AM

Bart,

Regarding the ac bypass belt on the honda accord, how long did/has it last(ed)? Thank you in advance.

Nickg8825 02-24-2024 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by gto454man (Post 51146993)
I am doing the same repair on a 2000 Accord EX sedan. I too have looked high and low for this information. Has anyone got an updated report on whether this belt size will offer long term service and remain interference free with a minimum clearance long term( more than 6 months)??

Anyone on this link please report back any success or failure with regard to this attempted fix for a/c bypass on 98-02 Honda Accord V-6 model......

1000 thanks to Bart and all on this post. Please update

THe guy who fixed my ac compressor problem went to autozone or O'Reilly's an bought a accompressor pulley bypass belt that skips the ac compressor all together ive been drivin like this for about a 1 an a half just fine i have A 6TH GEN AMERICAN MODEL 2000 Honda Accord EX L4 2.3L SEDAN(F23A4-ULEV ENGINE)