Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

rwd accord

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rwd accord

i know you guys are probably tired of me asking all these questions but i was told that the cr-v and the accord sit on the same frame...so i was wondering if i could make an awd or rwd if i put my body on the cr-v frame...i know it would b a lot of fabrication and a lot of money but i just wanted to know if it would even b possible
Old 12-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rwd accord

oh yeah, you could do it. Just as you already stated....it's gonna be a **** ton of work, to say the least. A ton of custom fab. The ammount of work you would have to do to make it work isn't worth it
Old 12-18-2009, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm sayin i think it would b worth it to have a custom rwd accord...i've never heard of neone doing it
Old 12-18-2009, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has been done but it was a drag racing purpose built racecar and mostly a fabricated tube chassis with an Accord body.

Very expensive any route your going to go to make a rwd car out of an Accord but it is possible.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another guy made a RWD drive Accord but it was a 2nd gen I think.

All he did was move the motor from the front to the rear though....there IS a video of it somewhere.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just looked it up on Youtube. Dont know if its the same Accord as specified as above.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it would be really cool to have a rear wheel drive accord. as posted above i think it would be the best idea to convert the car to rear engine also. i dont have a clue how you would do it otherwise. i guess there is the option of turning the engine 90 degrees puting it where the backseat is and making it all wheel drive. either way would be a ton of work but would be cool. there are a couple threads about using these engine/tranies in a AWD application for rock crawlers out there.

how would you rate your fab skills? i think that is what will decide whether it is possible or not. i suppose even with no skills what-so-ever it could be done with enough money.

good luck with your idea.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:05 PM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 19Accord97
Another guy made a RWD drive Accord but it was a 2nd gen I think.

All he did was move the motor from the front to the rear though....there IS a video of it somewhere.
It was done on a Prelude with an H22, I haven't seen it done in an Accord

There's also a fwd, rwd, and Awd civic where there are two motors that can work separate or combined.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:52 PM

converting anything to rwd, isnt near as hard or expensive as many think.

Snag a rear end. you can use pretty much whatever rear end you want. bolt it on to a 4 link set up. This is very easy and common to do.

Get a custom built driveshaft (there are lots of shops out there that do this every day, and no they are not that expensive)

the hardest part would be turning the motor. personally id grab a s2k motor and tranny and just build some custom mounts, and do a rewire. Honestly not all that hard of a swap for someone who is use to customizing cars on a little more advance level.

To a nooby, sure thats going to be a impossible. stick to putting on your intakes with zip ties

awd... same situation. not as hard as you think. Take the running gear out of a crv. put the sub frames into the accord, and there ya go. hardest part is going to be getting the subframe mounted. which is just cutting and welding.

anyone with basic cutting, welding, and fabrication skills wouldnt have a whole lot of problem. but again... if your a nooby with outthose, well yes its damn near impossible lol. and probably way to expensive to pay a shop to do it at 85 bucks an hour.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is NOT just cutting and welding. If it was that easy, it would be alot more common. Besides, the fab isn't the hard part. The hard part is all of the math involved with getting mount points and alignment right. You would need to completely re-do the rear suspension to allow for the axles. You would also need to strengthen the chassis in the rear to handle the stresses that would be applied. The rear was designed to be pulled, not pushed. CRV is based on the Civic chassis, so it's not a "simple" subframe swap for the accord. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying it will in no way be easy.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The CR-V drive-train is fairly weak. It is intended for extra traction and drive-ability on loose gravel and snow for a compact suv. It isn't performance oriented and is mainly a FWD system adapted to have power go to the rear wheels. The Accord is a larger chassis and doesn't share much with the CR-V. There is no question of possibility it just plausibility. It would be a decent project for a CRX or Civic. The axles, drive-shaft and rear differential are the weak points.

A J35A3 From a 2001 - 2002 Acura MDX or a 2005 - 2008 Acura RL is the engine I am using. It makes 290 HP @ 6,200 RPM and 256 ft-lb @ 5,000 rpm. A J-series 6-speed transmission will be mated to it. Sitting in an incorporated frame and roll cage to support the factory Acura RL sub-frame in the back seat area of my 4-door CD5. Boost upon the funds. Just need a salvage/totaled MDX or RL. Actual torque and RWD in one of the best driving Honda platforms? I think so!

I will be the first.

Last edited by AccordVT; 12-18-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Atreidies
It is NOT just cutting and welding. If it was that easy, it would be alot more common. Besides, the fab isn't the hard part. The hard part is all of the math involved with getting mount points and alignment right. You would need to completely re-do the rear suspension to allow for the axles. You would also need to strengthen the chassis in the rear to handle the stresses that would be applied. The rear was designed to be pulled, not pushed. CRV is based on the Civic chassis, so it's not a "simple" subframe swap for the accord. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying it will in no way be easy.
everything you just said is cutting and welding lol.

its not more common, because why would you be building a honda if you liked rwd cars? you would probably just build a mustang or something for less money and get more hp/tq.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ColorCoated
everything you just said is cutting and welding lol.

its not more common, because why would you be building a honda if you liked rwd cars? you would probably just build a mustang or something for less money and get more hp/tq.
No, it's FABRICATION. Pretty advanced fab at that. Fab is a blend of science and art. That is why fabricators can charge as much as lawyers for their time.

Why build a RWD Honda? Drift, drag, and just to be able to say it's a RWD Honda. D1 has a RWD Scion TC. Weight transfer for the 1/4 is MUCH better in RWD chassis.

My point was this - YOU don't have the skills required to make it happen. If you did, you wouldn't say "anyone with basic cutting, welding, and fabrication skills wouldnt have a whole lot of problem". And, if you can't do it, why would you suggest most people can.

Check this thread out - http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/for...hp?topic=126.0
After you read it, come back and say it's just cutting and welding. And I don't mean just looking at the pictures.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Let's just say this guy is back halfing a 95 that will be lsx powered and boosted. It's been a slow *** process and I'm about at the point that I need to sell the current build to complete the project.2x3 box rear half with 8pt and ladder bars. With 9 inch... ill post pics someday but its got a loooong way to go.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Atreidies
No, it's FABRICATION. Pretty advanced fab at that. Fab is a blend of science and art. That is why fabricators can charge as much as lawyers for their time.

Why build a RWD Honda? Drift, drag, and just to be able to say it's a RWD Honda. D1 has a RWD Scion TC. Weight transfer for the 1/4 is MUCH better in RWD chassis.

My point was this - YOU don't have the skills required to make it happen. If you did, you wouldn't say "anyone with basic cutting, welding, and fabrication skills wouldnt have a whole lot of problem". And, if you can't do it, why would you suggest most people can.

Check this thread out - http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/for...hp?topic=126.0
After you read it, come back and say it's just cutting and welding. And I don't mean just looking at the pictures.

have you ever done a 4 link set up on a rear end? its really not that hard to notch a frame and throw in a 4 link. 4 links are adjustable, so getting it aligned propperly isnt the hardest thing in the world to do.

why buuild a rwd honda? the only reason is to say because i can. or trying to show off your fab skills. a honda shell is not going to perform any better than any other shell you could pick up for 1/2 the cost. theres tons more better platforms for a drag/drift car than converting a honda. You only do it because you flat out want too and have the time and money to spend.

and you dont know what your talking about. you have no idea what "I" i can do. my skills are 10x more advance than just doing a little rear end swap. I've done far more advance stuff. my fabbing is beyound capable.

by the way i didnt need to read all 7 pages of that thread to see i was right.

what did he do? he cut the rear out of it. he welded in the subframe, and viola. isnt that exactly what i said? yes sir.
by the way, how long it takes you to do something like this, has to do with your life style. if he only has 1 hour a week to work on it, yeah its going to take 5 years. if he has 10 hours a day and works at a good clip. its only going to take a month.

have you done anything on this level? id like to see it if you have. im guessing you havnt.

by the way ive built mini trucks that lay frame, put ford 9" rear ends in chevy drag cars, solid axle swapped IFS trucks, converted fwd cars to awd, done motor swaps that werent even close to interchangeable. Currently building a custom '34 ford pickup with a custom 12" extended cab and a 7+" chop top... i have the skills. ive done this for years. i know what im talking about lol.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Another dipshit in the Accord forum. Perfect. Plumbing a car and doing something along the lines of a chaqssis and putting in a CORRECTLY setup 4 link/LB rear halfed setup IS NOT as easy as your making it sound, nor should it be done by people without some sort of EXPERIENCE doing such. The results can be a waste of money, bodily injury, or worse.... Death.

Prove me wrong that theres another dipshit in the ACCORD forum by shutting the **** up genius.

The very fact you said what you did makes me question your "skill" level, and wheather or not you were more of an errand boy inthe projects you listed.

[/facepalm]
Old 12-19-2009, 01:19 PM
He knows where you live!

Snag a rear end. you can use pretty much whatever rear end you want. bolt it on to a 4 link set up. This is very easy and common to do.

Get a custom built driveshaft (there are lots of shops out there that do this every day, and no they are not that expensive)

the hardest part would be turning the motor. personally id grab a s2k motor and tranny and just build some custom mounts, and do a rewire. Honestly not all that hard of a swap for someone who is use to customizing cars on a little more advance level.

To a nooby, sure thats going to be a impossible. stick to putting on your intakes with zip ties

awd... same situation. not as hard as you think. Take the running gear out of a crv. put the sub frames into the accord, and there ya go. hardest part is going to be getting the subframe mounted. which is just cutting and welding.

anyone with basic cutting, welding, and fabrication skills wouldnt have a whole lot of problem. but again... if your a nooby with outthose, well yes its damn near impossible lol. and probably way to expensive to pay a shop to do it at 85 bucks an hour.
I love brand new members talking out their ***.

"Oh yeah just stick this there and you have RWD"

Old 12-19-2009, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by extralargenog
Another dipshit in the Accord forum. Perfect. Plumbing a car and doing something along the lines of a chaqssis and putting in a CORRECTLY setup 4 link/LB rear halfed setup IS NOT as easy as your making it sound, nor should it be done by people without some sort of EXPERIENCE doing such. The results can be a waste of money, bodily injury, or worse.... Death.

Prove me wrong that theres another dipshit in the ACCORD forum by shutting the **** up genius.

The very fact you said what you did makes me question your "skill" level, and wheather or not you were more of an errand boy inthe projects you listed.

[/facepalm]
i dont have my license any more. i aint no errand boy. i've done lots of schooling and working with professionals, im a state certified welder, and i do my **** all on my own lol.

but whatever, think what you want guys!

by the way, the only way to learn is to DO IT!!

if you mess up the first time and waste some money, who cares? thats how you learn. the nice thing about metal, is you can always cut it out, and weld it back in again.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:32 PM
He knows where you live!

A welding certification........ oh shitttttttttt nog

So steps for OP per ColorCoated:

1) Buy a welding machine and become state certified
2) Find "a rear end"
3) Attached said "rear end" to Accord
4) Swap in S2000 motor
5) Rewire
6) Done
Old 12-19-2009, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
A welding certification........ oh shitttttttttt nog

So steps for OP per ColorCoated:

2) Find "a rear end"
4) Swap in S2000 motor
5) Rewire
6) Done
not even CLOSE to what i said. its ignorant ******** like you that take threads south like this one has gone....
Old 12-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not even CLOSE to what i said. its ignorant ******** like you that take threads south like this one has gone....
Are your five posts for the day up yet?
Old 12-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by accordjuggalo1796
...i was told that the cr-v and the accord sit on the same frame...so i was wondering if i could make an awd or rwd if i put my body on the cr-v frame...i know it would b a lot of fabrication and a lot of money but i just wanted to know if it would even b possible
thinking outside of the box is good... people who do things like this and pull it off well don't "ask" if it's possible. they already have a good idea that it should work, or to some degree what it's going to take. take a look through this thread. this guy is an great welder and has put a lot of thought into his project. take notes and read, read, read.

i'm sayin i think it would b worth it to have a custom rwd accord...i've never heard of [anyone] doing it
only "worth" it in broad view if it's to show quality standards. worth it to the owner/builder for the experience, pride and novelty, but only if it's done right.

"anything" is a strong word. i would agree any body on frame car is easy to install a four-link on, but anyone familiar with honda uni-body chassis knows you can't just weld stuff in and expect anything but a lemony, money-pit or failure.

you seem to have a solid background in modifying vehicles with success, but if your going to come in a forum with 15 posts and cut down "senior" members so enthusiastically, i say prove that it's so easy to just weld one up!
Old 12-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by extralargenog
Are your five posts for the day up yet?
ouch! haha
Old 12-19-2009, 02:26 PM
He knows where you live!

Nope, it is pretty close to what you said right?

Cut out the stock setup
Weld in some random rear end, you note it doesn't matter which one
Weld in mounts for a S2000 motor
Rewire

OR just buy an S2000 or RWD vehicle to begin with and save $1000's
Old 12-19-2009, 03:30 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

i was told that the cr-v and the accord sit on the same frame...so i was wondering if i could make an awd or rwd if i put my body on the cr-v frame..
If the CRV is derived from the Accord then it may have similiar sub assemblies, although they probably will be different enough to warrant changes. M/T vs A/T Accords are the same car yet the transmission mount requires relocation if swapping from A/T to M/T. And thats on the same car. Imagine the differences and modifications to an Accord to mount a CR-V drivetrain.
Albeit at a minimum that the rear floor pans are different.
Example:
'90-'94 Proteges could be had in ROTM FWD, or AWD. The rear floor pans, gas tanks, most of the rear suspension was unique to the AWD Protege.

Best bet would be to get same year Accord and CRV side by side and see what the differences are to the floorpan. It may be a completely different pan, it may, surprisingly, be very close.

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
2) Find "a rear end"
4) Swap in S2000 motor
5) Rewire
6) Done
No no no, the steps are...
1)Buy a welding machine and become state certified
2)?
3)Profit

Quick Reply: rwd accord