Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

RotaryBzzz's Tricks to Make Your Accord Pass Smog Checks

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RotaryBzzz's Tricks to Make Your Accord Pass Smog Checks

hard won knowledge....from a Rotary dude......coming soon - (i'm working right now)!

Feel free to contribute too!

Tip # 1 : The higher the octane of the gas, the more efficient the burn, the lower the H2 reading. Cheap trick: use racing gas or dump in octane booster or fuel injector cleaner (uses a high octane base) to your tankfull of premium to raise you gas's index even MORE before the test. There have been times I've passed by like 7-9 ppm for my uncracked hydrocarbons (H-H). I've played with a Bar-90 machine and saw the "day before" and "day after" with lower vs. higher octane gas.

if you haven't run fuel injector cleaner, do so at least a whole tankful before the test. It will lower the test results on all levels. Don't use "gas treatment", use the specific "fuel injector cleaner". I like STP's $2.49 bottle over other brands. Seems to work better.

unrelated but interesting (found off the net'):
"The active ingredient in BG 44K is the very same that is found in Chevron's Techron fuel system additive. In fact, BG is the manufacturer of the ingredient and sells it to Chevron for use in Techron. The actual amount of the ingredient (which name slips my memory at the moment) in Techron is 4%, with other 'filler' stuff mixed in. BG 44K is 100% of the active ingredient; so, in theory you would want to use the BG 44K if you want the best results for the money invested."

[Modified by RotaryBzzz, 10:27 PM 10/30/2002]
Old 10-22-2002, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RotaryBzzz's Tricks to Make Your Accord Pass Smog Checks (RotaryBzzz)

Tip #2 : If your running a stock airbox, remove your airfilter right before the test to lower H2 and CO levels (and possibly NOx). Remove the resonator. Like a free-flowing aircleaner, this is a dirty trick that smog-techs will never check for. Remember to put it back in though so bees don't fly into your intake manifold (uh...).

Obviously, if you have the means, it doesn't hurt to clean your TB and intake manifold for a cleaner, less turbulent track for air.
Old 10-22-2002, 03:45 PM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: RotaryBzzz's Tricks to Make Your Accord Pass Smog Checks (RotaryBzzz)

A 20 bill in the mechanics pocket always works.
Old 10-22-2002, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RotaryBzzz's Tricks to Make Your Accord Pass Smog Checks (Wont be beat)

A 20 bill in the mechanics pocket always works.

heh.. it took a 50.00 bill in North Carolina to get my cat-less car by
Old 10-22-2002, 03:48 PM
New User

Default Re: RotaryBzzz's Tricks to Make Your Accord Pass Smog Checks (GimpyAccord)

Ouchie.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tip # 3 The Obvious stuff.

Change oil the day before. Change oil to a lighter weight (viscosity) will lower readings. Make sure your oil levels are correct i.e. not overfilled.

Change your spark plugs the day of. Make sure they are gapped correctly.

Clean the inside of your distributor cap with a lite sandpaper or eraser. Carbonized deposits can't be good for spark transmission.

Like what was said in another thread, run the **** out of your car the day of. Preferably right before you pull into the smog place. This blows built-up carbon deposits out of your catalytic convertor bed and lets the convertor do the converting. Also, conversion (of H2,CO,NO) occurs at a higher/faster rate when things are really really hot - just like soaping up your hands under hot water vs. cold water.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:29 PM
New User

Why dont you put all these in one post?
...post *****
Old 10-22-2002, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RotaryBzzz's Tricks to Make Your Accord Pass Smog Checks (Wont be beat)

Tip #4 : If you live in an area with Smog ****'s...aka the California Air Resources Board, and its hard to get local shops to fudge things *cough-cough*, best time to go is when its a rainy day. Shops, even those that normally wouldn't, are MORE willing to use "helping hands" those days cause business will be down or non-existant. Particularly the minority owned shops.

post-whoring? Hmmmm....
Old 10-23-2002, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tip #5: Symptom: Your Accord fails smog b/k of High NOx (Nitrogen Oxide) emmisions. This can happen at both high and low speed dynotests.

(from my other thread)
It's clogged EGR passageways underneath the fuel rail. Not the convertor unless your throwing high H2 and CO levels. You should notice your oil is super black at oil change and propably burning off at least a quart. On 94+, there is a service port underneath the fuelrail. However pre93 need to fabricate their own port...it involves drilling out the timples (?) and creating your own access. There is the space for it....in those years they didn't bother to create an actual hatch that can removed without some fabrication. This is what you need to do....
1) depressurize fuel system & remove fuel rail
2) create service port to EGR passageways by drilling out timples (underneath fuel rail) (pre94).
3) clean passsageways with solvent/brushes
4) reassemble, tune up and you should now pass with much MUCH low NOx emmisions showing.

[Modified by RotaryBzzz, 10:15 AM 10/23/2002]
Old 04-20-2003, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 04-21-2003, 01:43 AM
99-0104

i dont agree with your idea of using higher octane gas it will make a cat work harder and cause you to have higher readings ... i have tested this and that is my conclusion ... so i always use the cheapest gas when testing ... no problems
Old 04-21-2003, 03:17 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RotaryBzzz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Tip # 1 : Cheap trick: use racing gas or dump in octane booster or fuel injector cleaner (uses a high octane base) to your tankfull of premium to raise you gas's index even MORE before the test. </TD></TR></TABLE>

A small bottle of rubbing alcohol in your tank the day of the test will do the same thing and will cost less.( I did this and passed with a blown head gasket)
Old 04-21-2003, 07:07 AM

It must suck to live in a state that has emission controls. *pets his states laws*
Old 04-21-2003, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RotaryBzzz's Tricks to Make Your Accord Pass Smog Checks (Stripped Honda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stripped Honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont agree with your idea of using higher octane gas it will make a cat work harder and cause you to have higher readings ... i have tested this and that is my conclusion ... so i always use the cheapest gas when testing ... no problems </TD></TR></TABLE>

Different input is always good on this subject.

My own experience has shown that HC/CO levels *do* go down with higher octane gas. My direct experience came from strapping my rx7 to a BAR90 smog machine, playing with my idle & richness mixtures on 87 octane gas one day then comming back a few days later to do the same with 92 octane gas. HC/CO levels were significantly lower at idle on the 92 octane day (about 5-10% lower). At the same time, these were for high emmision levels...in the range of HC 500+ ppm.

Popping off my carburator aircleaner lid also lowered emmision levels at idle too (obviously more airflow).

Old 04-21-2003, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i love that i dont have to worry about smog testing
Old 04-21-2003, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RotaryBzzz's Tricks to Make Your Accord Pass Smog Checks (Nick M)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nick M &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i love that i dont have to worry about smog testing </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's my sincerest california HOPE that you experience this joy one day
Old 04-21-2003, 07:10 PM
cd7

you're the man RotaryBzzz... sucks about the emissions in CA but you can't beat the weather here!
Old 04-21-2003, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RotaryBzzz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hard won knowledge....from a Rotary dude......coming soon - (i'm working right now)!

Feel free to contribute too!

Tip # 1 : The higher the octane of the gas, the more efficient the burn, the lower the H2 reading. Cheap trick: use racing gas or dump in octane booster or fuel injector cleaner (uses a high octane base) to your tankfull of premium to raise you gas's index even MORE before the test. There have been times I've passed by like 7-9 ppm for my uncracked hydrocarbons (H-H). I've played with a Bar-90 machine and saw the "day before" and "day after" with lower vs. higher octane gas.

if you haven't run fuel injector cleaner, do so at least a whole tankful before the test. It will lower the test results on all levels. Don't use "gas treatment", use the specific "fuel injector cleaner". I like STP's $2.49 bottle over other brands. Seems to work better.

unrelated but interesting (found off the net'):
"The active ingredient in BG 44K is the very same that is found in Chevron's Techron fuel system additive. In fact, BG is the manufacturer of the ingredient and sells it to Chevron for use in Techron. The actual amount of the ingredient (which name slips my memory at the moment) in Techron is 4%, with other 'filler' stuff mixed in. BG 44K is 100% of the active ingredient; so, in theory you would want to use the BG 44K if you want the best results for the money invested."

[Modified by RotaryBzzz, 10:27 PM 10/30/2002]</TD></TR></TABLE>

BG 44k is a very good fuel injection cleaner, i used it all the time for my accord and keeps it running in great shape. the exhaust practically smells good, you can't even smell oil or gasoline.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RotaryBzzz's Tricks to Make Your Accord Pass Smog Checks (Razor)

Any tips for my turbo back,cat-less, free flow exhaust on my accord in SoCal?
or else I am just going to slip a 20buck,lol.

Old 04-21-2003, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RotaryBzzz's Tricks to Make Your Accord Pass Smog Checks (iam7head)

!<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iam7head &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any tips for my turbo back,cat-less, free flow exhaust on my accord in SoCal? or else I am just going to slip a 20buck,lol.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sell it to someone else before the actual smog.

Actually, I -DO- have something for you Jason; jus' PM me in 4 years when you need the smog.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good deal BUZZ.... might need the advise within the next week or so....
Old 04-22-2003, 05:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: RotaryBzzz's Tricks to Make Your Accord Pass Smog Checks (JDM_CB7)

where can you get BG44? I checked some of the local parts places and none of them have it.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am having problems passing the California Emissions. Can anyone tell me what is the problem with these emission's reading? Also, can anyone tell me the proper solution so I can be Smog Legal? A mechanic shop told me that a new Catalytic Converter will fix this, but I don't want to throw parts unless it is exactly what I need to resolve this problem.

TEST RPM HC (PPM) CO (%) NO (PPM)
15mph 1853 max=87 - 115 max=0.51 - 6.41 max=701 - 411
25mph 2452 max=52 - 88 max=0.49 - 4.60 max=730 - 797

Has anyone used this Sports Car Converters from Max-Flow?
The web address is: http://www.members.aol.com/sportsCarConvert/

Please check it out and give me your opinions before I order it.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RotaryBzzz's Tricks to Make Your Accord Pass Smog Checks (RastaGt1)

the question is...what year is your car and what were your car's stats when this was done? Was the oil 2000 miles old? Post mileage, type (lx, ex) and general tune-up stats.

Those readings, with the exception of your CO, aren't that bad. You could probably get by w/o a new convertor (that I'm *sure* the guy wants to $ell to you) if you followed the steps above.

Spark plug type makes a big difference too. I've seen the wrong bosch platinum plugs decrease power in a friend's civic by something like 40%. You can bet he was running all f-ed up emmision wise till someone figured that one out...
Old 04-22-2003, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is from B20guy from another thread...good info...he was answering some guy w/ a rebuilt engine that wasn't passing:

----
If you just rebuilt the engine, and you have a new cat, that's a hard act to follow.
Oil needs to be clean, affects HC and CO, heavy oil can help HC #'s, eg. 20w50 + adding smoke treatment could help. Common fix for mitsubishi 4 bangers with leaky valve seals.

Cooling system needs to work properly, check for stuck coolant temp switch, thermostat, all that affects NOx.

I would check the ignition AND cam timing as well, especially since it was just rebuilt.

I'm sure you probably decarbonized the intake manifold and throttlebody during the rebuild, but if not, that's a good thing to do, helps HC. Try X66a spray from GM dealerships.

Uhmm, what else...

I've seen a case where ignition coil voltage was too low caused a failure. I personally, wouldn't know how to go about checking that tho

Vacuum leaks can induce a lean mixture causing high NOx.

Personally, I'd reinspect the cat, maybe make sure someone welded it on the wrong way,lol, sounds silly i know, and check cam timing...

good luck, let me know what happens....btw i inspect cars, and we do emissions work regularly, and incidentally, I have seen a GSR with a DC cat fail as well. But I never saw the guy again after his initial test, so i dunno what happened.
But barring a modified ECU program or anything wild, a fresh engine, good working 02 sensor and new cat SHOULD pass...

-----

Have I ever told anyone how much I ..:::hate smog checks?

Quick Reply: RotaryBzzz's Tricks to Make Your Accord Pass Smog Checks