Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Oxygen Sensor

Old 11-17-2005, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oxygen Sensor

The check engine light on our 94 Honda Accord LX is on. After a $90 (+ tax) diagnostics charge, the service station said that the oxygen sensor is bad and need to be replaced for $330. We checked online and found oxygen sensors ranging from a Universal type for $18 and others to $205, all supposed to fit our Accord. The two from Bosch for $83 each and another from Denso for $93 from drivewire.com seem most suitable. The station said there is only one oxygen sensor in our Accord, but why are there 3 on the web site. Anyone can answer the following question will be very much appreciated.

1. If we do not replace the oxygen sensor and just ignore the check engine light, what could happen. Will it cause problems or damage the car?

2. How can we ensure buying the correct sensor online?

3. Where is the sensor located? How can we find it? Are there instructions and diagrams to assists replacement?

4. How hard is it to replace the sensor? The station would not install customers' parts.

Why are cars so complicated that it cause almost a $100 just to find out what's wrong with it? Why are parts so expensive? Can they make cars cheaper to maintain? (sigh…)
Old 11-17-2005, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Oxygen Sensor (mayflower)

$330. is outragous !
You want a Denso direct fit NOT a universal. Could be as much a $90. for your car. Any mechanic will have an O2 oxygen sensor wrench. Assuming it is just your primary sensor (sticking out of the exhaust pipe just below where the pipe connects to the engine) it's about a five minute job ! Go somewhere else. Even if you have to pay for an hour minimum labor it should only be about $150.00 parts and labor tops !
Old 11-17-2005, 01:09 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mayflower &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1. If we do not replace the oxygen sensor and just ignore the check engine light, what could happen. Will it cause problems or damage the car?

2. How can we ensure buying the correct sensor online?

3. Where is the sensor located? How can we find it? Are there instructions and diagrams to assists replacement?

4. How hard is it to replace the sensor? The station would not install customers' parts.

Why are cars so complicated that it cause almost a $100 just to find out what's wrong with it? Why are parts so expensive? Can they make cars cheaper to maintain? (sigh…)
</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. The engine will run in a safe mode, wich runs a lot richer to make sure the engine dosn't run lean (wich could lead tu serious damages). The only 2 downsides would be that you gaz millage will be horrible, and the catalytic converter will wear out a lot quicker. The reason is if you run richer, gaz wich isnt burned will run through your exhaust and extreme temperature from the cat will make it ignite, wich may cause the ceramic to melt (i know that from exrerience). Other than that there are no danger to run on safe mode.

2. Dont buy Bosch... there products are not well adapted for Honda and you will probably have an other O2 sensor code in less than a year. I'm not sure about denso but they can't be worst than Bosch. But if I were you I would get a Honda oem O2.

3. Not sure about that one but I think on a LX its directly on the manifold.

4. Not that hard. Normaly you would need a box specialy designed to pass wires on the side. A torch would also help if its realy stuck in there.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not sure about 94 model, but 92 model the EX had two oxygen sensors and the LX and DX had one. It should say something about #1 or #2 sensor, or before cat and after cat sensor when you purchase one. I think the heated sensor has three wires and the other one has just two. Hope some of this helps you out. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Majestic Honda only calls out for one O2 sensor for the '94 LX. OBD1 ??

Front O2 Detail: LX 4d (#6 168.00 wholesale Honda)
Http://www.hondaautomotivepart...81%29

Rear Exhaust Detail: LX 4dr.
http://www.hondaautomotivepart...81%29

Go with a direct bolt-on.

P
Old 11-17-2005, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oxygen Sensor (P_Adams)

yea, 94 accord lx has 1 o2 sensor, i replaced mine, bought it oem, 207buck, i think other than oem stuff, it kinda a waste, and i heard it wont pass smog, is that correct????
Old 11-17-2005, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Oxygen Sensor (dtran002)

So true. The O2 sensor, in effect, samples the final product (exhaust); allowing the ECM to determine how well a job it's doing, and to make corrections so that the "Product" passes muster.
Without a functioning O2 sensor, the ECM goes "Dumb-***", wigs out and sends up a red flag (Check Engine Lamp)

P
Old 11-17-2005, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Oxygen Sensor (P_Adams)

It is very easy to install yourself and worth it, mine just recently went bad and after I replaced it my gas mileage dramatically increased.
It is screwed into the exhaust manifold and then it is plugged into the harness on that big plug...like I said very easy to install. This is my 1997 Accord LX

There is one of the whole bay.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Oxygen Sensor (ricerocketdave)

thats sweet dude, i also have an Accord 97 LX, its like looking under my own hood, except you have a clean *** black exhaust manifold and i have the stock one and its wearing, i need a new one, its the only thing in my car thats not clean and brand new looking
Old 11-17-2005, 07:27 PM

First off, how do you keep your engine compartment that ******* clean? Damn!

Second, my O2 sensor is still working, but would changing it before popping off the CEL be o.k., or is it one of those jobs that if it ain't broke, don't fix it? I just ask this because you mentioned fuel economy and I didn't know if that would help me fuel wise?
Old 11-17-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Re: Oxygen Sensor (HondaMike17)

also, i recently had to change that same O2 sensor, there was a problem with it a while back and autozone diagnosed it and got my engine light to turn off, but this time the engine light wouldnt turn off, looked under my engine, the O2 was broken, lol i was like what in the hell, and quickly replaced it
Old 11-17-2005, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Oxygen Sensor (HondaMike17)

im not gonna say "YES GO REPLACE IT RIGHT THIS MOMENT" but keep it in mind for the near future, because sooner or later, your going to have to change it anyways
Old 11-17-2005, 07:45 PM

Default Re: Oxygen Sensor (jack1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jack1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First off, how do you keep your engine compartment that ******* clean? Damn!

Second, my O2 sensor is still working, but would changing it before popping off the CEL be o.k., or is it one of those jobs that if it ain't broke, don't fix it? I just ask this because you mentioned fuel economy and I didn't know if that would help me fuel wise?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I use simple green...let it sit on there for about 5min or so then rinse it off followed by a very light coat of armor all.

My car did not have a CEL either but I was getting terrible gas mileage and a friend of mine who is a Honda technician told me that they recommend them to be replaced every 100,000 miles and since mine has 140,xxx on it I figured that it would not hurt to do it.
It made an all around good improvement in performance mileage ect....
Old 11-17-2005, 07:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ricerocketdave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I use simple green...let it sit on there for about 5min or so then rinse it off followed by a very light coat of armor all.

My car did not have a CEL either but I was getting terrible gas mileage and a friend of mine who is a Honda technician told me that they recommend them to be replaced every 100,000 miles and since mine has 140,xxx on it I figured that it would not hurt to do it.
It made an all around good improvement in performance mileage ect....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm, my vehicle is right at about 140,000, so it might be worth it. Do you need a special tool to get it out of the manifold, or does it just unscrew out of there?

I'll try that Simple Green **** next time. I assume you cover your alternator and electrical stuff when you rinse things off, or are you using a mist type water spray to get it off?
Old 11-17-2005, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Oxygen Sensor (jack1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jack1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hmm, my vehicle is right at about 140,000, so it might be worth it. Do you need a special tool to get it out of the manifold, or does it just unscrew out of there?

I'll try that Simple Green **** next time. I assume you cover your alternator and electrical stuff when you rinse things off, or are you using a mist type water spray to get it off?</TD></TR></TABLE>

All I did was take the manifold cover off then if I remember right the O2 sensor its self was like a 17mm or so.

As far as detailing the motor goes I have never covered anything and I use a regular garden hose to rinse it off. I spray everything too (not scared LOL) Have had the car for 4+ years now and detail the motor bay about once a month and have never had a problem.
The only real thing that you kinda have to be careful around is the distributor but if water gets in there its no big deal just take the cap off and let it dry out, but I have never had to do that.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mayflower &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">After a $90 (+ tax) diagnostics charge, the service station said that the oxygen sensor is bad and need to be replaced for $330.</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude. i just check store locators in autozone. and murrays autoparts. and i cant beileve they dont have one in Minneapolis. or even minnisota for that matter.. thats gotta suck..

here.. you just pull into autozone. they do the diagnostics check for free. and give u your part they got a wide range of prices from generic to namebrand... and they even show u how to install it..

someone get autozone to open a shop in minnisota!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mayflower &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE>

yo should buy the chilton or haynes manual for your car.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mayflower &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Why are cars so complicated that it cause almost a $100 just to find out what's wrong with it? Why are parts so expensive? Can they make cars cheaper to maintain?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
an oxygen sensor isnt something that goes bad every other day...
name brand parts are expensive. but some companies out there like valucraft do the same job.... for less than 1/4 the price. a bosch oil filter would cost up to 12.99 while a fram. or valucraft wouldnt even cost 3 dollars.
if you dont do the work yourself. it will be alot more expensive.

my mechanic said a tune up on my car would cost 170 bucks..
i changed everything for less than 40.

but hey. mechanics gotta make a living too.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:54 PM

Default Re: Oxygen Sensor (isquishplatano)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by isquishplatano &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

here.. you just pull into autozone. they do the diagnostics check for free. and give u your part they got a wide range of prices from generic to namebrand... and they even show u how to install it..

someone get autozone to open a shop in minnisota!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can have all the AutoZone stores im my area I am convinced that on the application there must be a question asking if you know anything about cars and the ones that check the "no" box will get the job. I will go across the street to Oreillies long before I will give the stupid asses at AutoZone my time of day,

besides OEM Honda is by far the way to go. So just shell out the couple of extra bucks and get an OEM o2 sensor, you will thank yourself later.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:33 PM

im stuck between 2, Autozone offers so many free things, which is cool cause if i go there i always get it diagnosed, my battery charged, and whenever you need a big tool you dont wanna buy, go there and put a deposit, use their tool, bring it back, get your money back, its the ****. but they never have the parts you need in stock, my car was in an accident, got repaired but the power steering resovior hose was rubbing along the belt, cut a slit right in it and id be putting more power steering fluid in every 3 days and finally noticed that my dad saw the slit before i did and did his redneck duct tape fix job, anyways i found it and went to replace it, autozone told me i could only find it at the Honda Dealership, went to Advanced Autos, handed me the part with no problem and i was on my way.

anyways, i just use regular engine degreaser and it worked real nice on my engine, look man the truth is it depends for now if you have the money to do it, and if you want to be getting the gas mileage you should be getting, it really does help, infact in the long run over the time period you take to finally change it, you may pay that much in extra gas
Old 11-17-2005, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i recently replaced an o2 on my friend's car, since it was a last minute thing late in the evening we went ahead and got Bosch Honda OEM type o2 w/ the PnP harness for about 80 bucks at Autozone. put it in and works fine.

you got jipped on the diagnostics also, should have came on here and asked for some help on checkin the CEL.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No problem, just did the one on my 1994 Accord and it cost me less than $50. Never realized that these should be replaced about every 50/K miles. Anyway, you can use the less expensive universal one it works just fine at a much lower cost. Just be sure you get the 4 wire one. ( Try this as an example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW )

To answer your questions....

1.) If you ignore the light, your engine will tend to run rich and your fuel economy will suffer a little. You may also have a problem passing emissions inspections depending on how strict your state is.

2.) All you need to do is make sure you buy a 4 wire type. Many sellers will tell you what cars they fix, you can make sure they specify your year and make of Honda or all Hondas.

3.) There is a photo in the thread that shows the location right on the front of the engine compartment on the exhaust manifold.

4.) Your station sucks. They will not install your part because then they cannot ream your butt for some assnine price like $330. If you have the right tool to remove the old one its not that hard. Sears sells the special socket you will need to do the job for about $9.99. It is a must have tool. You should also have a nice breaker bar and socket extensions so you can get on the old sensor and get it to break free. Once its loose just put the anti-seize goop on the threads of the new one and install it. Universal kits typically will not have the connector on the end of the leads. Remove the old unit first, cut the connector off of the end leaving an inch or two of wire on it. Cut or trim the Universal sensors leads, if they are too long, to match the old ones length and splice the connector on. Install, reset your error codes and you should be set.

5.) So the general public takes their cars to the dealers for service and they make a few million more.

L8R....

Old 11-18-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Oxygen Sensor (Hondaman56)

it's easy... I used a monkey wrench...
some Accord the sensor is by the cat. convertor. ( before )
my sister 97 accord ex 02 sensor is down there by it.
and mine 00 is at the header.