Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Removing ecu to prevent theft?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing ecu to prevent theft?

I've never done it before but unfortunately due to recent events I have to start... does anyone here have any opinions on this?... Recently my car was stolen so I want to know if it's convinient to do this... also am I right to think that this the best way to prevent theft [I have no garage must park car on street]? Is taking ecu out of the car frequently considered potentially harmful and damaging to the ecu physically? Where is the ecu located in a typical car and what do I need to take it out? Right now I'm taking the bus and walking but eventually I have to buy another car..... and don't want this to happen to me again.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:18 PM

Default Re: Removing ecu to prevent theft? (Wong)

its not convienent but its been done. generally its under the passenger side footrest dealy. kinda pain in the butt to do.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn man sorry to hear that...you could take out the ecu, there would be no problem with taking it out daily, just have to be careful with it, and you cant get lazy... cause it will become a pain in the ***.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:07 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Removing ecu to prevent theft? (Intense2.2)

Yeah, its a pain. In the 5th gen Accords they're under the passenger footrest which requires pulling the carpet back and removing the whole footrest which is only like 4-5 bolts then you can unplug the ecu and take the footrest with it. On most Civics they are on the passenger right side wall under the dash. They have three bolts and one nut that hold them in and they're a pain to get to on a regular basis. I mean you don't want to be sitting there kneeling on the ground putting your ECU back in when it's raining or snowing. I would just get a good alarm with some sort of kill switch built in or make you own kill switch. I now what it feels like, my hatch was stolen only two months after buying it. The next car I bought, I took the ECU out every night until I got a good alarm. Not that the alarm is going to stop everything for good but at least you have some protection and a little peace of mind. Sorry to hear and good luck.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:51 AM

Default Re: Removing ecu to prevent theft? (TouringAccord)

put multiple kill switches all around... that might be easier to do than always taking the ecu out etc etc. or get a multlock very popular in my area...
Old 07-01-2004, 06:05 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: Removing ecu to prevent theft? (Mike813)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mike813 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">multlock</TD></TR></TABLE>

please elaborate. Do you have a picture?
Old 07-01-2004, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TouringAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

please elaborate. Do you have a picture?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The Multilock is an antitheft device that consists of a bracket bolted to the chassis of the car by the center console with a "U-shaped" lock that keeps the shifter from moving. It's opened with a key and is available for both manual and automatic transmissions. I used to have one on my CRX and see it pretty frequently here in NYC. I tried looking online for a picture but couldn't find one.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:49 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: Removing ecu to prevent theft? (PhAtBoY Si)

interesting...anyone got a picture, I would like to see what one looks like.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you take out the ECU.. what's stopping someone from just towing the car away?
Old 07-01-2004, 08:27 AM

Default Re: Removing ecu to prevent theft? (pyrojeff)

No it's not stopping anyone from towing the car away for parts... but at least you're not "giving it to them".. makes it harder for thieves.... plus I know the theft for Honda's in this country is getting to the point of being ridiculous, but I don't think many theives have access to tow trucks yet... or do they?

Whatever the case is... I thank all for their posts and help... I'm going to try it on my next car, I know it's going to be a pain in the neck to take out and put it back in everytime, but I don't have any other choice.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:28 AM
H-T Order of Merit

whats stopping them from towing it with ECU in it? Nothing The entire point is to just make it harder to be stolen. There truly is no way of totally stopping someone, just make it harder for them and hope it'll deter them.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:54 AM

Is it true that ECU's from other cars, in my case from other f22b2 motors will work for my car as well? And is this the case for any other car as well? I'm thinking these thieves probably have a dozen of different spare ECU's on hand.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:01 AM
H-T Order of Merit

I don't if any other ECUs will work with the F22B2 except maybe the F22B1 but I dought that thieves drive around with extra ECus on hand. Of course, they might have some laying at home that they could use. But like I said earlier, it'll still slow them down. If they break into it and can't start it because of the missing ECU then they probably won't be coming back and risking getting caught a second time. Then again, I wouldn't put it past them.

Don't get to worked up. There is only so much you can do to prevent it getting stolen. Thats why there is Full Coverage .
Old 07-01-2004, 11:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pyrojeff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you take out the ECU.. what's stopping someone from just towing the car away?</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats like askign, whtas stopping a theive from jacking your car at gun point, like your not gonna give them the keys if he had a glock in your face,

if thieves want it they WILL take it, period. but these little steps could slow theives down, and mebbe even deter them from trying.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Removing ecu to prevent theft? (Eddiebx)

ecu

sparkplug wires

killswitch

wheels

clubs

autolock

well, they can just tow it.

lowjack and full cover insurance is your best friend.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Removing ecu to prevent theft? (iam7head)

this idea, though more logical, is about as pointless as shaving the handles......

like iam7head said, if they want it, theyll take it
Old 07-01-2004, 03:44 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TouringAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whats stopping them from towing it with ECU in it? Nothing The entire point is to just make it harder to be stolen. There truly is no way of totally stopping someone, just make it harder for them and hope it'll deter them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

werd bishes.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fw190bvi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this idea, though more logical, is about as pointless as shaving the handles......

like iam7head said, if they want it, theyll take it</TD></TR></TABLE>

not as pointless. this is actually smarter than shaving your handles for the sole reason of preventing theft
Old 07-02-2004, 12:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Removing ecu to prevent theft? (secksiman19)

Hey man there are some other easier alternatives:

Fuel pump fuse
disconnect the fuel pump (in the trunk under carpet)
disconnect connector to coil/distributor

This will disable any car. I also remember years ago watching some infomercial about an anti-theft device that kept the clutch or brake pedal from being depressed and thus preventing the car from being started. Might look into these easier alternatives.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:44 AM

Forget about pulling the ECU. There are many factors that make a car runs so all you have to disable 1 or 2 or 3 of those factors. As simple as putting a switch in series with the fuel pump.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:31 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re:

I remember reading something, I think it was in this forum, about how someone was talking there cig lighter and wiring that as there kill switch. It was still usable just had to be pressed in to complete the circuit to start the car. I'm not saying to do the same but you could use this idea to wire up something else the same way.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:53 AM

Default Re: Re: (TouringAccord)

::touring::
you could find out how a multlock looks by going into mainly any security/alarm store...so far ichecked almost every website noone has a picture of it... they have like 2-3 different models, but i prefer the one that sits literally on the shifter (flat down) some of em has a little height to it, which the theives just simply saw off the shifter and use a vise grip as a alternative... they charge like 200-250 installed around our way. takes like 3 hrs if they do a good job..
Old 07-02-2004, 04:01 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: Re: (Mike813)

Thanks, I'll have to look into this after the holiday weekend.

Ever since my car was stolen I don't trust anyone and I don't think there is too much security. Thieves
Old 07-02-2004, 08:58 AM

Default Re: Removing ecu to prevent theft? (Schmitey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schmitey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey man there are some other easier alternatives:

Fuel pump fuse
disconnect the fuel pump (in the trunk under carpet)
disconnect connector to coil/distributor

This will disable any car. I also remember years ago watching some infomercial about an anti-theft device that kept the clutch or brake pedal from being depressed and thus preventing the car from being started. Might look into these easier alternatives.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks man I'll definitely try the fuel pump disconnection... the fuse however... I think it's too easy for the thieves to have a spare one on hand.

Just want to thank everyone... for their tips... there are still more good people in this world over scumbags. And like touring said... thieves Thieves ruined my life.. I'm college student working PT jobs [not even a real job], using hard earned money for a hobby and it's all gone. I had high hopes saving up for the tranny and H swap. I hope the thief who stole my car gets his share of the pain one day.

Btw, if anyone sees a blue/green auto Accord with stock f22b2 engine,
VIN# 1HGCD5638VA018653, with ~70,000 miles..... in the NY/Queens/LongIsland area... please notify the police. The car had racing hart c2 wheels, injen cai, tenzo strut bar, tokico suspension and a greddy evo exhaust last seen... those were the only mods. Although by now they're probably off and sold.
It was stolen on 6-27-04.

This is the only pic I have left of her, rip.

Modified by Wong at 10:19 AM 7/2/2004
Old 07-02-2004, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Re: (TouringAccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TouringAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I remember reading something, I think it was in this forum, about how someone was talking there cig lighter and wiring that as there kill switch. It was still usable just had to be pressed in to complete the circuit to start the car. I'm not saying to do the same but you could use this idea to wire up something else the same way.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that is a very good way to prevent it, my friend had it in his Civic, he jus turned the switch off every time he got out of his car. very good idea to think baout
Old 07-02-2004, 01:04 PM

damn, thats a whole lot of work...

Quick Reply: Removing ecu to prevent theft?