Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

98 3.0 CL random mis-fire

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 98 3.0 CL random mis-fire

Well Monday morning I go out to head off to work for to check in before I have to drive 3 hours west for work for the week. I crank my car and it starts missing so I shut it down. Crank it back over and it runs fine but the CEL is on.

Luckily my buddy and his dad have a shop right by my work. Before I head out I run down there to clear the code and make sure it was just a miss. Pulled 2 codes, Cylinder 1,3,5 mis and random mis.
I was strapped for time so I pulled the plugs(which are oem ngk's with about 25k miles on them) and they look fine, nothing out the ordinary. Plug wires are also on the new side and look ok. I also pulled off the distributor cap to check for water or oil and found a slight bit of oil in the dizzy.

I cleaned everything up and went on my way. Well tonight (Thursday) I'm leaving the grocery store heading back to the hotel and at a light it misses and throws the CEL again.

My question is if there are any known issues similar to this, I couldn't immediately find anything and figured I'd ask the HT community.

I can't really check anything serious out til I get home tomorrow afternoon, open for all suggestions!

Thanks!

UPDATE:
Well Friday I drove 200 miles home, on the way stopped at advance auto to pull the code. Again it was cyl 5 mis and random mis. I then drove a bit down the road and it threw the code again but was running fine. I made it home and let the car sit about an hour while I unpacked.
Got back in the car and started it and it felt like a HEMI and was constantly throwing a code, prob for catalyst def. so I turned it off. I let it sit all night and this morning checked the plugs again, which are NGK R's and should be good since they only have about 30k on them. All plugs look the same and are in good condition still.
I pulled the dizzy cap off and noticed what could have been left over or new oil in the bottom of the cap. I cleaned that off and put everything back together again.

Going up to my buddies work this afternoon to look at everything again.

Update:
Saturday I went out and checked all plugs. The GAP on them was a bit off so I set them back into spec. I took off the distributor cap and saw a small amount of oil inside. I cleaned it out and it drove marginally better.
Took it to my buddies work to work on it further.

We noticed the lip seal on the distributor shaft is leaking(have to buy a new dizzy). I tried to use some sand paper on the contacts of the rotor and cap but no luck.

Tested all wires and they are firing properly. Checked cyl 5 injector which is also firing, plugs show no indication of running lean either.

Did a compression test which checked out.

Pulled off the valve cover and the valves seem fine.

Ordered a factory dizzy, cap, rotor, plugs and wires today.
We shall see!

Last edited by Mattb16teg; 01-11-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 3.0 CL random mis-fire

Alright so today I finally got my parts and put them on:
Distributor
Cap
Rotor
Plugs
Wires

And still check engine light, Cyl 5 mis.
Car ran terrible still.

Since the compression test checked out if either has to be a stuck valve or the injector. At least I hope......

Planning to check out the Injectors tomorrow after work.

Anyone, ideas please?!
Old 01-15-2010, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does your buddy have a scan tool? My first thought woulda been your injectors or your timing is way the **** off. Still would check the injectors first. If your buddy has a scan tool have him check the graphs on your injectors. That will be an immediate yes or no to whether your injector(s) are bad.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mavvrik
Does your buddy have a scan tool? My first thought woulda been your injectors or your timing is way the **** off. Still would check the injectors first. If your buddy has a scan tool have him check the graphs on your injectors. That will be an immediate yes or no to whether your injector(s) are bad.
Yea we have a scan tool, would have to to know what the CEL is coming on for.
This is an older scan tool and does not have that feature on it. Testing the injectors in a few so we shall see.

Thanks for the input!
Old 01-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, you should use a scan tool to read all the codes.

If it comes up with an EGR code along with the random misfires codes, you may have an EGR valve stuck open which is causing the random misfires. But, get the trouble codes first, as may lead to the possible problem.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LoL, is no one reading my original post? It states a few times where I pulled the code and even what they were but maybe I didn't make it clear enough...
Anyway, went to the junk yard today and pulled some injectors from a motor, that did the trick! Car runs great!
Old 03-30-2010, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh forgot about this, just for the knowledge base, it was the #5 injector. Replaced it with one I pulled from the junkyard and it ran great!