Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Regular or Synthetic Oil?? Tune-up, royal purple?

Old 01-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Regular or Synthetic Oil?? Tune-up, royal purple?

ok so i wanna do a Complete Tune-up on my girlfriends car, its a f22a1 stock, it runs on regular oil as far as me and girlfriend knows(she doesnt pay any attention to her cars needs) :"(, and i wanted to know if their would be any harm if i use the royal purple synthetic 5w-30w viscosity on the motor oil AND tranny oil??? is their a process before converting to syntethic or what? also, what other liquids would you guys change? besides draining the power steering fluid and drop synthetic royal purple, and drain radiator fluid and refill it with new.... i wanna do a most COMPLETE as far as i can possibly do to get this car running like a champ again, thanks
Old 01-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Regular or Synthetic Oil?? Tune-up, royal purple?

I am assuming it is a manual?

Just stick with the Honda manual transmission fluid. It has been improved recently and alot of people are liking the change.

Oil wise, there really isn't any point in synthetic for a stock car especially if she doesn't even care for it that much. Just stick with the dino oil. But if you do switch to synthetic I would suggest doing a synthetic blend before all out synthetic.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alright, you wouldnt happen to know the brand name for HMTF would you? or is it just plain honda manual transmission fluid lol, alright so which ones a good synthetic blend brand?
Old 01-09-2010, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 64 Likes on 62 Posts

Honestly, im not a fan of synthetic blend for the reason that it is usually 25% synthetic, but almost as expensive as synthetic..

Rather than blend, I would stick with conventional oil,
If you want to move up the scale, give it some MobilClean 7500, its one of the best priced blends on the market...

Then, if you do choose to go synthetic with the oil, Royal Purple really isnt necessary on a stock ride.. Give her any of the standard brands that don't cost too much..
Pennzoil Platinum is an excellent oil for the price!

Concerning honda Manual trans fluid, get it at any parts place in the genuine honda bottle! Honda trannys love their own fluid!
Old 01-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

agreedx2
Old 01-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No there isn't a procedure that you need to do when switching form conventional to synthetic. Use 5W30 in the engine and Honda MTF in the tranny (if manual) or Honda ATF Z1 (if auto).
I don't like royal purple personally because its overly expensive.
Amsoil is better AND more affordable.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You have to know why you want to use a synthetic oil. On a new engine, it may be a very good choice. On an older engine with evena moderate amount of wear, you will simply burn oil much more quickly, and you may even have to starrt dealing with oil leaks from old seals that weren't a problem usin a non-synthetic. Just because it's more expensive doesn't mean its better.

Don't even think of using an engine for oil for the transmission unless you know exactly what you are doing. Honda manual transmission oil is the safe choice here.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by plugger
You have to know why you want to use a synthetic oil. On a new engine, it may be a very good choice. On an older engine with evena moderate amount of wear, you will simply burn oil much more quickly, and you may even have to starrt dealing with oil leaks from old seals that weren't a problem usin a non-synthetic.
I've switched to synthetic on at least a DOZEN vehicles with over 90,000 miles with no problems, (no leaking, or burning). The thing is : if the motor is good... then it is safe to switch. If the motor has problems burning or leaking don't switch. After all if it leaks or burns why the christ would you want it to cost more to operate?!! right?
Old 01-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed on using only Honda trans fluids. You can find threads about using other fluids (RP, GM synchromesh) but you won't find consistent results on how well those perform.

I for one have seen RP tranny fluid used in a D16y8 trans that did NOT hold up well. Had major heat issues.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 64 Likes on 62 Posts

Interestingly, I moved from syn blend (Shell Helix Plus) to full syn, usually either Mobil1 or Total Quartz9000 despite knowing that I had 2 or 3 small leaks...
Yes, in that sense it was a bad move, but i drop some hard abuse on my motor and I really think it deserved the extra protection (not to mention stretching the OCI a bit longer)

So, unless your gf drives with a leaden foot, i would advise a good quality high mileage oil if you have burnoff..
Old 01-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alright well as far as i can see with my eyes theirs no visible oil leaks, or tranny leaks, so what if i replaced the gasket's? would it be good then? or should i just in general stick with conventional? cost dont matter about the oils, i was reading that synthetic last SO much longer with SO much more durability
Old 01-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can run synthetic anytime you want. just make sure you get the correct grade 5w-30.
some excellent off the counter synthetics: pennzoil platinum and valvoline synpower