Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Rear upper ball joint on 96 accord needs replacing, any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear upper ball joint on 96 accord needs replacing, any tips?

In removing the rear strut assemblies I noticed that the ball joints on both sides look pretty bad. I was thinking to order a Moog replacement part # K90336.
I havent seen any videos on the ball joint only, but i did see one for an assembly/arm.
Is there a step by step to this that anyone can share?
I assume taking the bracket/arm off the car and pressing in a new ball joint is the way, but before I got going I thought Id check.

Also I had a bolt snap on me and need to replace that.
Any bolt suppliers I should try? Other than a dealer? Or is it junk yard time?

The struts at least look like they will fit

Old 12-12-2018, 11:44 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Re: Rear upper ball joint on 96 accord needs replacing, any tips?

If the upper BJ just needs a new boot, just reboot it. Inject some grease and cover it up.
Without the correct tool it can be a bit hard replacing a pressed in balljoint on a stamped steel arm. You don't want to bend or distort the arm as this will change your camber.
Best to use a new bolt from the dealer, cheap enough. But if you have a good yarde selection around you, then hit up a few cars with your favorite rust buster before trying to remove the shocks.
Good lord, what kind of springs are those? Look like variable rate cargo coils. I always though the rear springs were a bit soft on teh coupe, but damn. That looks like it would bind up.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
If the upper BJ just needs a new boot, just reboot it. Inject some grease and cover it up.
Without the correct tool it can be a bit hard replacing a pressed in balljoint on a stamped steel arm. You don't want to bend or distort the arm as this will change your camber.
I am not sure if the ball joint is bad altogether, but I do know what then pushing down on the trunk with alot of pressure to test the strut there was that creaking noise that drove me to this point. If i recall it was more noticeable when it had been raining. On the passenger side I have already pulled off the arm and pressed the ball joint out. More like a whack actually.

It was pretty loose, not wobbling without touching it, but when you barely tried to move the stem it had very little resistance. I was looking for a snap ring to remove but only found the coil type band holding the boot on. If I were to have replaced the boot, is there a special tool to get that coil clamp ring on with?

I removed the ball joint with the open tube looking part in the ball joint removal set and lined up the shot and whack out it popped

Best to use a new bolt from the dealer, cheap enough. But if you have a good yarde selection around you, then hit up a few cars with your favorite rust buster before trying to remove the shocks.
I checked the dealer, they wanted $32 for a pair. Ill check a few yards and see if they have any, there was this moog kit i saw that has it in there..or something close.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=204222&cc=1167410&jsn=555

Good lord, what kind of springs are those? Look like variable rate cargo coils. I always though the rear springs were a bit soft on teh coupe, but damn. That looks like it would bind up.
The strut assemblies were the ones listed here on Rock Auto, all I knew to order by recomendation was KYB and thats what I saw. I hope they are right?
KYB SR4049
KYB SR4050
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1820022&cc=1167410&jsn=395
Old 12-15-2018, 09:06 AM
MM Gruppe B

Struts are correct, I guess KYB just is like 'MEH' we'll make it for all applications so big *** springs.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with OE ball joints. MOOG stuff I've purchased was short-lived. OE's are usually less money @ Majestic than 2nd rate aftermarket ones anyway.

KYB Excel G's are OE replacement. Nothing special, but good quality.

If you've got Fastenal near you've, they've got a good selection of metric bolts.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94CivicSi
Go with OE ball joints. MOOG stuff I've purchased was short-lived. OE's are usually less money @ Majestic than 2nd rate aftermarket ones anyway.

KYB Excel G's are OE replacement. Nothing special, but good quality.

If you've got Fastenal near you've, they've got a good selection of metric bolts.
Next time Ill probably go that route on the ball joints, the Moog was tough to install for me..the dang coil ring thing. I turned it over to a garage to install of the arms. I asked how they did it and they said they installed the ring on the boot first and then pressed it onto the ball joint after.

Is that how you guys do it? I couldnt slide the boot on and then try and widen the ring to slip over without deforming the ring.

On the bolt I did try fastenal and they were not fully stocked and didnt have the right length.
Turns out that advance had it, grade 10 M10 . 1.25 x 70mm...$2
Old 12-16-2018, 11:42 AM
MM Gruppe B

I've installed the boot and then wound the spiral lock on the boot. Put a light smearing of grease on the boot to allow the ring to slide over. If you have ever installed or watched someone install the oil rings on a piston that is how you can do it.
Moog has a few levels now. It used to just be only Moog(problem solvers) but they have about two other levels(quality) of their brand, which sucks if you didn't know.
Problem Solvers are the top tier and will have 'Problem Solver' stamped somewhere on the body.
Supreme, medium range.
R-series, low-end.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the reply and info, I didnt know about Moogs quality levels...I did buy the MOOG K90336 which is listed as Problem Solver. Lucked out.

Next time I am faced with the coil ring install Ill give it a shot based on what you described.
I ran into a similar issue with the inner tie rod kit I got, it had a wire with 2 loops at the end and was supposed to be used on the smaller end of the boot where the coil looking wire was originally.
Until I can figure out how to install that wire I used a zip tie.
A pic of the looped wire is in this link here, have you installed one of these wires?
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...167410&jsn=665