Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio

Folks,

I am about to replace my factory six disc/tape in dash radio in my 2001 Accord EX in favor of an aftermarket Ipod friendly radio. I plan on buying a Sony CD player with Ipod adapter (allows me to control Ipod from radio) I am going out and buying the radio mounting kit and the connector kit (So I can plug the radio into the factory wiring directly with making no cuts to wires)

Other then the fact that the factory radio will need the unlock code inputed when I hook it back up, is there any thing else that replacing the radio will affect? Will it affect the security system or keyless entry?

Also while I consider myself to be very good at installing radios in cars, Most have been ether 2 speaker (old truck) or 4 speaker systems, The accord has 6 speakers (two in the back, two in the door and two small ones in the dash (all factory) since I am simply buying a wire kit to wire to the radio to plug into the factory wiring will all six speakers in the car work with the radio?

Also is there any kits/adapters etc that would allow me to plug my Ipod directly into the factory radio without having to resort to using a cassette adapter? I don't really need to control the Ipod from the radio, simply being able to plug into the radio and listen to the Ipod is enough.

I see kits out there for the Honda Accord 98-02 with radio's that have a connector for ether a slave tape/cd player or a external CD changer but no info whether or not it will work for the 6 disc in dash CD changer. Has anybody taken out their 6 disc in dash radio and looked to see if it had a place for a external cd changer?

Thanks

L
Old 03-24-2009, 08:22 PM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Radio

It seems you're jumping around as to what you want to do.

Buy an aftermarket, reuse OEM, etc.

The easiest way if you're going to go in there anyways to install a new one is to take out the current one and look. If you have the CD Changer AUX port thing then you're golden. If not then you have the option of using an FM Transmitter (what I'd recommend) or swapping the headunit.

Just go to a Circuit City/Best Buy and get the adapter cable they make for Honda > Sony HU's and you will be fine that's how I connected my Panasonic one when I used it in my car.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a Scosche wiring harness from Wal-Mart. $7-10. ONLY get the install kit from Best Buy or Circuit City, $20ish. Those "Speakers" in the dash are tweeters.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If your going to replace your factory stereo you will need the following:
-electric tape
always cover any connections with electrical tape or when you put it all together and start movin the connections may hit metal in the dash on bumps or heavy turns which will very annoyingly i might add turn your stereo on and off
-aftermarket stereo
-wiring harness
-dash fit kit
-wire cutters
-wire splicers

hookin it together is quite simple. the wiring harness will come with instructions on what to hook up to what along with the head unit(stereo). and yes all 6 of your speakers should work just fine.

some head units have an actual ipod cord that comes out the back of the head unit so you can fead it through under where the steering wheel is. an easier way is to get a head unit with an aux plug in and buy a less then 10$ cord to hook your ipod staright up to the front. the main difference in the two is the ipod hook up can charge your ipod while the aux will not

i have a 96 accord and when i took out my stereo the anti-theft which was built into it came out with it. probably will be the same with yours

also best buy horribly overprices everything. if anything just get the wiring harness at best buy so you can make sure you get the right one i buy all my car audio from onlinecarstereo.com so much cheaper and free shipping over 99$ orders too

Last edited by bdmlilburn; 03-25-2009 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:47 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You do not need to cut your OEM harness, in fact I advise AGAINST IT. Especially if you just twist the wires and cover in electrical tape, it's overall just a ghetto install.

Either properly do it with soldering the wires and heatshrink, or spend the money and buy a conversion harness that does not require cutting. Circuit City sells them as I bought mine there.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
You do not need to cut your OEM harness, in fact I advise AGAINST IT. Especially if you just twist the wires and cover in electrical tape, it's overall just a ghetto install.

Either properly do it with soldering the wires and heatshrink, or spend the money and buy a conversion harness that does not require cutting. Circuit City sells them as I bought mine there.
agreed do not cut your vehicles harness. best buy or circuit city has a wiring harness you can purchase that will slide right into your oem harness and then wire up to the back of the head unit