Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Radiator info Hell, can anyone help?

Old 07-18-2008, 01:18 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator info Hell, can anyone help?

I need a uh eh, a Rad for my 94 Accord, 4 door sedan, with AT and VTEC engine. First of all, I came here and asked some questions to start my research. At first, I assumed the brass tubing, copper fins OE rads were still available; and they might be but not thru Honda parts anymore -- Honda is selling the Plastic Tank/Al core types, same as everyone else is. Next, I discovered that the all aluminum Rads need external tranny cooler lines, so I gave up on that idea. Then I located some "all metal" rads, on the Internet, but no one can tell me what material the metal is, so forget them too.

Ok, so I accept that I will be limited to a plastic tank aluminum core. Five years ago I put a Plastic/AL Nissens Rad in my Mom's Volvo and it has worked fine. But the Volvo tranny lines are steel and the connections are a different type and are quite thick. The OE Honda lines were thick brass and molded right into the tanks, an even better design than the Volvos. But I'm not seeing anything like that now for Honda. Looking at all the Plastic/Al rads out there in the market place, I can hardly tell one from the other. They all look the same, from the shiny black plastic, to the way the aluminum core strips wrap around the tanks in little crimps, to the shoddy removable brass cooler lines.

The most important thing for me is the type of connection for the cooler lines, and the plastic material of the tanks. The warranties are all similar and sufficient.

So, first I purchased a Spectra Premium Rad [made in Canada] from Pep Boys. There was nothing premium about the brass AT lines. The lines were in a little plastic bag and had to be assembled. Looking close at the brass nipples, it was of a home plumbing design, like a cheap pressure fitting. The brass nut and tubing was so thin I knew it would eventually leak. So, I took that back and got a refund.

Next I looked at a Visteon, because they were a Ford Co., and are known for quality heat exchangers and AC compressors. The brass on the Visteon has so far been the thickest of all the brands I looked at. There is a glut of offshore no name brands that are far worse, I might add. But as for Visteon, they blow their own horn, and warn to beware of offshore brands, and because of that statement I assumed they were made in the USA and by offshore they meant Asian products. Well, I just learned today that Visteon Rads are made in Mexico, not the USA, so the "offshore" wording they use is of a deceptive nature, a legal loophole. I was quite offended by that.

The I purchased a Koyo because the seller [1-800-Radiator], as well as, many people talking about koyo on the Internet, confirmed that told they were made in Japan. Well, I got the shock of my life when I opened the box and it said Made in China right on the Koyo Radiator. Also, when I called Koyo about this they told me I got one that was of an older design and must have been sitting on the shelf for a few years.

So far, I have not been able to contact the following Radiator mfrs to ask what material their Plastic tanks are made of:

Nissens [Made in Denmark] because everyone is on vacation and email is the only practical contact method for me, I'm not paying the high cost of an international call.

Valeo [made in Italy and OE for Mercedes]. Internet site has no tele # for the US. Nfr basically makes self promoting statements; the few Llnks that there are give little information.

Behr [made in Germany, OE for BMW] No Internet site found for this company.

If anyone can tell me anything about the issues I raised concerning the brass transmission cooler lines or what kind of plastic the various mfrs are using to make the tanks, I would like to know. Murphy's law seems to be keeping a close eye on me, and if I just purchased the first low priced rad that came along, well it would end up just going right back to whence it came from, like the crappy Spectra Rad from Pep Boys I returned.

PS. Btw, here are some brands I rejected and my reasons: AC Delco [no info, but also considered to be a cheap rad]; Toyo [too pricey for Plastic/Al]; Denso [too pricey for Plastic/Al]; CSF [cannot locate mfr or any info]; Spectra [lousy brass connections]; Modine [n/a, Commercial vehicles only]; Proliance [low quality aftermarket]

Modified by diyer at 1:07 PM 7/19/2008